Carl Crawford / Other Trade Possibilities

ChiSox59

I think it is pretty obvious that Hahn is not going to solve this puzzle exclusively by way of free agency. I definitely see the SOX adding a bat (one of: Markakis, Cruz, VMart or Rasmus), hopefully a mid/back rotation RHP and at least a few bullpen pieces. But I think the SOX biggest splash will be picking up a big contract via trade.

Carlos Gonzalez has been mentioned. I like the idea, but as others have mentioned, the Rox probably value him more than the remaining dollars on his contract ($53/3 years), and I don't see the SOX giving up much in the way of talent if they foot the whole bill, which leaves a trade rather far-fetched.

Another, probably more realistic option, would be Carl Crawford - who obviously is a guy the SOX have targeted in the past. Crawford clearly isn't the player he once was, but he still fills a need for this ballclub, that is - left handed bat that you can slot anywhere in the lineup, still play decent OF. With three years and $62.25M left on his contract, the Dodgers would have to send back a nice chunk of change to even get the conversation going.

Other names that have been thrown around these parts:

Miguel Montero - 3 years and $40M left on his contract. Has regressed since his prime, but is definitely an upgrade over Flowers.

Jason Castro - I really wanted him last offseason, but 2014 was a flop. Maybe the price has dropped significantly, and with the Astros having just acquired Hank Conger, maybe the door is open.

Josh Hamilton - Is Hamilton done? Probably not. Is he worth the $89M he is due over the next three years? Definitely not. Which means he can probably be had. Look, the SOX have a ton of money to spend, and Hamilton may be worth kicking the tires on. The Halos need to kick is some major $$$.

Any other realistic or off-the-wall ideas as we all patiently wait for the first real SOX domino to fall?

Edited by ChiSox59

I like your idea of grabbing up a big contract for minimal prospects but that depends on the position. Guys with big contracts are probably older guys that don't fit into our younger core MO of late. I'd be more willing to do that in the infield and use our bullets to get fresh legs for the open OF spot.

Quintana for Bryce Harper is my latest crazy thought.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
I like your idea of grabbing up a big contract for minimal prospects but that depends on the position. Guys with big contracts are probably older guys that don't fit into our younger core MO of late. I'd be more willing to do that in the infield and use our bullets to get fresh legs for the open OF spot.

Quintana for Bryce Harper is my latest crazy thought.

I dont see any way the Nationals trade him right now(unless he forces it). He is still on his rookie contract, they are paying him peanuts

My crazy thought (which admittedly came from a discussion with a friend) is Tulo at third base.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
I dont see any way the Nationals trade him right now(unless he forces it). He is still on his rookie contract, they are paying him peanuts

My crazy thought (which admittedly came from a discussion with a friend) is Tulo at third base.

I love it. Makes me want to see:

Eaton

Tulo

Abreu

Harper

Heyward

Garcia

Flowers/Martin

Alexei

Semien

I can see a Crawford for Danks scenario as a genuine possibility. Crawford can still hit, steal some bases and play decent defense when he's healthy and his salary would. Add another OF and the DH spot can be used as part of an OF rotation.

This would clear the way for Rodon and leave the Sox plenty of money to sign a guy like Rasmus, Melky or trade for a guy like CarGo ( puke). Point is it financially leaves the Sox with lots of options since Crawford adds just 6M to the current payroll.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)

I would love that idea accept Full apparently does not. I remembered something being said about a move to third during 2014 so I did a quick search and yup, he hates the idea...

“Moreso than any other position on the field, shortstops take [the identity created by their position] to heart. When guys get moved to third, they take it as a punch in the gut,” said Tulowitzki. “I would do the same thing. I want to stay at shortstop. I want to be there for a long time, hopefully my whole career.

“If someone had said [that a move to third was necessary] to me, there would have been a big argument. I’m going to stay here and I’m going to prove you wrong,” he added. “Maybe it worked better for [bogaerts'] team, him moving to third. I know that it’s something that I wouldn’t do personally. I’m a shortstop at heart. That’s what I take passion in. That’s what I put in all my workouts in the offseason, which are designed to play the shortstop position.”

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/ba...nch-in-the-gut/

Who knows, as Tulo gets older he might rethink that.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
Crawford surprisingly hasn't been as useless as Danks, unfortunately.

Ethier has though :)

See, even Dodgers Digest has talked about it:

This is pretty interesting because they’re both rather mediocre. We’ve already went over Ethier’s contract, but Danks has two years and about $28 million on his deal, so again the Ethier contract is worse.

But while Ethier’s skills have declined, Danks is also on the downswing. Still only 30, Danks had his fifth consecutive season with declining fastball velocity in 2014 (91.7 mph to 88.5 mph), and his ERA of 4.74 and FIP of 4.76 in 2014 were his best marks since 2011.

That said, Danks struggles with the home run ball, giving up 53 in the last two seasons, and going from one of the worst environments for pitchers to one of the best should help him (not to mention the other teams/parks in the division). Plus, I guess there’s potential for him to get better the further away he gets from shoulder capsule surgery, but there’s not a ton to be optimistic about regarding shoulder injuries and recovery.

Regardless, Danks fits better with the Dodgers and their needs, and the White Sox‘s current outfield, even with Avisail Garcia on the mend, is Garcia, Adam Eaton, Jordan Danks, Michael Taylor, and Dayan Viciedo. So while Ethier might be sort of crappy now, besides Eaton, those options are worse.

I’m intrigued that this might actually make sense.

http://dodgersdigest.com/2014/11/03/mailba...n-trading-puig/

(this was also mentioned in the comments for the FGs article The Dodgers still have too many outfielders.)

I think that is the most logical move the Sox can make while gambling on Danks' value. If the Sox have to include a piece or the Dodgers do or the Dodgers have to eat some salary, so be it.

However, I think they can save more money and get more value personnel-wise by moving Kemp or Crawford, and I think they'll continue using Ethier as a very expensive 4th outfielder unless someone is willing to eat his whole salary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
I think Tulo ends up a Yankee.

I can not see anyway this happens, the Yankees really have nothing to give up for Tulo as their farm system is pretty close to the worst in baseball.

I could see Tulo in Boston, Texas, St. Louis, or maybe even Baltimore. The Dodgers would make a lot of sense if the Rox are willing to trade him within the division.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Ethier has though :)

See, even Dodgers Digest has talked about it:

http://dodgersdigest.com/2014/11/03/mailba...n-trading-puig/

(this was also mentioned in the comments for the FGs article The Dodgers still have too many outfielders.)

I think that is the most logical move the Sox can make while gambling on Danks' value. If the Sox have to include a piece or the Dodgers do or the Dodgers have to eat some salary, so be it.

However, I think they can save more money and get more value personnel-wise by moving Kemp or Crawford, and I think they'll continue using Ethier as a very expensive 4th outfielder unless someone is willing to eat his whole salary.

Yeah, I imagine that Danks/Ethier has already crossed Friedman's mind, but that it's probably plan C or D. My guess is that Plan A is to trade Kemp for some real value.

But, I'm in support of the swap if it goes that far. That said, I also expect Friedman to be aggressively lowering payroll when each of these OFs move, so if we're eating the difference, we better not be sending any talent back. Ugh, Friedman.

Ok, now I'm just afraid of Friedman and his dark leprechaun trading ways. I don't want him to fleece Hahn.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
Yeah, I imagine that Danks/Ethier has already crossed Friedman's mind, but that it's probably plan C or D. My guess is that Plan A is to trade Kemp for some real value.

But, I'm in support of the swap if it goes that far. That said, I also expect Friedman to be aggressively lowering payroll when each of these OFs move, so if we're eating the difference, we better not be sending any talent back. Ugh, Friedman.

Ok, now I'm just afraid of Friedman and his dark leprechaun trading ways. I don't want him to fleece Hahn.

Kemp would look pretty neat in black and white pinstripes.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
I think it is pretty obvious that Hahn is not going to solve this puzzle exclusively by way of free agency. I definitely see the SOX adding a bat (one of: Markakis, Cruz, VMart or Rasmus), hopefully a mid/back rotation RHP and at least a few bullpen pieces. But I think the SOX biggest splash will be picking up a big contract via trade.

Carlos Gonzalez has been mentioned. I like the idea, but as others have mentioned, the Rox probably value him more than the remaining dollars on his contract ($53/3 years), and I don't see the SOX giving up much in the way of talent if they foot the whole bill, which leaves a trade rather far-fetched.

Another, probably more realistic option, would be Carl Crawford - who obviously is a guy the SOX have targeted in the past. Crawford clearly isn't the player he once was, but he still fills a need for this ballclub, that is - left handed bat that you can slot anywhere in the lineup, still play decent OF. With three years and $62.25M left on his contract, the Dodgers would have to send back a nice chunk of change to even get the conversation going.

Other names that have been thrown around these parts:

Miguel Montero - 3 years and $40M left on his contract. Has regressed since his prime, but is definitely an upgrade over Flowers.

Jason Castro - I really wanted him last offseason, but 2014 was a flop. Maybe the price has dropped significantly, and with the Astros having just acquired Hank Conger, maybe the door is open.

Josh Hamilton - Is Hamilton done? Probably not. Is he worth the $89M he is due over the next three years? Definitely not. Which means he can probably be had. Look, the SOX have a ton of money to spend, and Hamilton may be worth kicking the tires on. The Halos need to kick is some major $$$.

Any other realistic or off-the-wall ideas as we all patiently wait for the first real SOX domino to fall?

The Angles would have to pay 22 million of the Hamilton contract for the Sox to bite and that obviously won't happen. They're stuck with him and Pujols like the Sox were stuck with Dunn. Someone's going to be stuck with Victor when he declines as well. And Shields. Etc.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Which one of Crawford or Ethier would have the closest value to Danks in a trade?

That is absolutely Ethier. Crawford would probably be able to fetch a bit of young talent on the trade market with the Dodgers eating some of his salary, but Ethier probably fetches nothing.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
Kemp would look pretty neat in black and white pinstripes.

He is an absolutely horrendous defender who is among the streakiest hitters in the game with $107 mill remaining on his contract. I want them to look elsewhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
The Angles would have to pay 22 million of the Hamilton contract for the Sox to bite and that obviously won't happen. They're stuck with him and Pujols like the Sox were stuck with Dunn. Someone's going to be stuck with Victor when he declines as well. And Shields. Etc.

If the Sox acquired Hamilton in a buy low move, I'd want the Angels to pick up $60 million in some manner or another. That's an absolutely atrocious contract.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
If the Sox acquired Hamilton in a buy low move, I'd want the Angels to pick up $60 million in some manner or another. That's an absolutely atrocious contract.

The Sox and Angels would mostly match up in a Danks for Hamilton swap as that would cut about $30 of the $80 million off of the top. There would probably need to be a bit more give to cover 2016, and then a big chunk to cover the year 2017 when Danks contract is over, but Hamilton is still owed $30ish million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
The Sox and Angels would mostly match up in a Danks for Hamilton swap as that would cut about $30 of the $80 million off of the top. There would probably need to be a bit more give to cover 2016, and then a big chunk to cover the year 2017 when Danks contract is over, but Hamilton is still owed $30ish million.

I'd rather have Danks without a second thought.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Josh Hamilton is 2 years younger than Victor Martinez using a calendar and who knows what in reality. Why would anyone want his contract on the books for 4 years, no matter what the cost? He lost 30 pounds as soon as he signed with the Angels and has sucked ever since. Why would he get better?

It would be an absolutely bad situation. I primarily brought it up just to say that the Sox would need a ton covered before they actually would consider acquiring Hamilton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
If the cost is low, such as moving Danks and getting another $30 million back, I'd rather take a shot on Hamilton.

The money back would be nice, but IMO Danks has a much better chance of becoming a productive major leaguer again than Hamilton does.