White Sox focused on RH SP, LH bat, bullpen

southsider2k5

Everything I read suggests that the Dodgers are highly motivated to clear some salary room and to open up at least one outfleld spot.

Unless they have a use for Danks, I don't see them taking on another big contract, which would defeat one of the primary purposes of

moving an outfielder. As I posted elsewhere, it might be feasible to get Ethier, by simply offering to take his contract, much like they did

when the acquired Rios.

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything I read suggests that the Dodgers are highly motivated to clear some salary room and to open up at least one outfleld spot.

Unless they have a use for Danks, I don't see them taking on another big contract, which would defeat one of the primary purposes of

moving an outfielder. As I posted elsewhere, it might be feasible to get Ethier, by simply offering to take his contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)
both?? maybe 1 and a regular starting pen guy who is healthy. 2 will put the sox

behind the 8 ball. esp in the first month of the season when it is cold and windy,

the team will need healthy arms and also remember the sox will not go with the 5

man rotation until 2 or 3 week of the new season.

Agreed for the most part except for the bold.

Morrow had only a finger injury this year and recovered fully. He was actually pitching for the month of September. If the Sox think they can fix him, he should be ready to go right out of the gate.

Hochevar had TJS early this spring, and should also be ready to pitch right away as well. While it might take him a while to get back into form, he's well worth the risk. Considering the $40 mil contracts Robertson and Miller demands, this guy can provide the same results at a fraction of the cost.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
Good to see, I thought I was getting annoying suggesting Hochevar over and over again.

You aren't getting annoying until you make a new thread about the guy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
Well, considering the Dodgers want Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Haren and Scherzer to be their rotation, anything's possible.

They don't need Danks, though.

They DO need to clear Kemp's salary, because clearly he has the most value of the three names we keep mentioning.

NOBODY needs Danks. That's the problem with these proposed swaps. It's basically "Dodgers give us Ethier for free along with most of his salary covered," because Danks is valueless. Maybe they WOULD do that if it was the best offer, but SOMEONE out there will do the same deal but send back a live-arm prospect instead, so if we want him, we'll have to beat that slightly.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)
The Dodger are the one with a glut of overpaid OF's. They can keep them and never get Pederson in the lineup or bite the bullet and eat some salary . No team should want to pick up those full salaries based on Dodger desperation to move those bad contracts.

No, but I think the Dodgers can do a hell of a lot better than essentially paying all but like $7 million of the remaining salary to Andre Ethier.

I get that they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, but they aren't just going to pay $20 million on top of taking Danks and getting nothing else in return. I think there are some teams that would take Matt Kemp and his entire salary if the Dodgers gave him away for free.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
NOBODY needs Danks. That's the problem with these proposed swaps. It's basically "Dodgers give us Ethier for free along with most of his salary covered," because Danks is valueless. Maybe they WOULD do that if it was the best offer, but SOMEONE out there will do the same deal but send back a live-arm prospect instead, so if we want him, we'll have to beat that slightly.

I do think there is going to be a very, very limited market for Andre Ethier, but maybe the Orioles feel that Ethier or Crawford would be a nice fit for them and they send Ubaldo Jimenez over to LA for either, or perhaps the Cubs send over Edwin Jackson. Perhaps the Dodgers want to take on as little money as possible. It's really up to them.

I think a Danks-Ethier swap makes sense, but I don't think that's all it will take from the Sox end.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
I would love a Danks-Ethier swap just because our rotation potential gets so much more interesting purely from a fan point of view.

1.) Sale

2.) Quintana

3.) FA righty

4.) Noesi

5.) Bassit/FA project/eventually Rodon

Those with baseball OCD's is very uncomfortable with having too many lefties in the rotation, or having Danks penciled in as a #3 when he is now a #5, or that we are paying him $14 mil for nothing.

We all want to get rid of him in a pipe dream scenario, but it won't likely happen.

Hey everyone! I've been checking this site out periodically probably since the trade deadline and finally decided to sign up. Where I am I get virtually 0 Chicago White Sox coverage. But the other day I was trying to think of moves that made sense to me. I am not a huge WAR guy I don't know what all of it means. I would like to get more into that stuff as I would like to be more into baseball haha. Also not sure on if we have the cap for the moves but here's what I got.

Sign Chase Headley 3B, Michael Morse 1B DH OF.

Headley gives us a good glove and a switch hitter for the corner. Morse can hit both left and right handed pitching well plus has position versatility.

Trade John Danks for Carl Crawford and salary relief.

ME personally prefer Ethier but I felt he would be close to the same player as Morse except he is a lefty.

Crawford gives us some speed on the bases, a left handed bat, and to my knowledge a decent glove (again not a numbers) to rotate in the outfield.

Line up would look like this

C- Tyler Flowers

1B- Jose Abreau

2B- Carlos Sanchez

3B- Chase Headley

SS- Alexei Ramirez

RF-Avisail Garcia

CF- Adam Eaton

LF- Carl Crawford

DH- Michael Morse

----------------

Connor G

Adrian Nieto

Leury Garcia

Marcus Semien

Dayan Viciedo (likely traded just not sure for what)

Sign Edinson Volquez

Sale

Quintana

Volquez

Noesi

Bassit until Rodon is ready

I started and didn't finish but I like the offense not sure salary wise it would work.

But just wanted to say hey and give my thoughts on what I feel would be an awesome off season haha

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:40 AM)
Hey everyone! I've been checking this site out periodically probably since the trade deadline and finally decided to sign up. Where I am I get virtually 0 Chicago White Sox coverage. But the other day I was trying to think of moves that made sense to me. I am not a huge WAR guy I don't know what all of it means. I would like to get more into that stuff as I would like to be more into baseball haha. Also not sure on if we have the cap for the moves but here's what I got.

Sign Chase Headley 3B, Michael Morse 1B DH OF.

Headley gives us a good glove and a switch hitter for the corner. Morse can hit both left and right handed pitching well plus has position versatility.

~1. -Trade John Danks for Carl Crawford and salary relief.

ME personally prefer Ethier but I felt he would be close to the same player as Morse except he is a lefty.

Crawford gives us some speed on the bases, a left handed bat, and to my knowledge a decent glove (again not a numbers) to rotate in the outfield.

Line up would look like this

C- Tyler Flowers

1B- Jose Abreau

2B- Carlos Sanchez

3B- Chase Headley

SS- Alexei Ramirez

RF-Avisail Garcia

CF- Adam Eaton

LF- Carl Crawford

DH- Michael Morse

----------------

Connor G

Adrian Nieto

Leury Garcia

Marcus Semien

Dayan Viciedo (likely traded just not sure for what)

~2. - Sign Edinson Volquez

Sale

Quintana

Volquez

Noesi

Bassit until Rodon is ready

I started and didn't finish but I like the offense not sure salary wise it would work.

But just wanted to say hey and give my thoughts on what I feel would be an awesome off season haha

welcome, welcome to the best forum of baseball and posters with a great bunch of

mods and admin's.

ref:

1. not enuf of a rtn.

2. truly my #2 A+ pitchers I would love to have in a sox uni

3. I just like your thoughts. keep them coming.

edit ...... I gotttssss to ask. where you work. is the adress is 1600?

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 06:50 PM)
welcome, welcome to the best forum of baseball and posters with a great bunch of

mods and admin's.

ref:

1. not enuf of a rtn.

2. truly my #2 A+ pitchers I would love to have in a sox uni

3. I just like your thoughts. keep them coming.

edit ...... I gotttssss to ask. where you work. is the adree is 1600?

I think you mean is the address 1600? I don't think so haha.

The biggest thing I have liked about this forum is the activity from the posters.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
Morse is a DH. Ethier played 68 games in CF this year.

Morse played 84 games in the OF last year and some at 1st. Too me I don't want either playing OF everyday and would prefer Morse as he hits both RHP and LHP well. Where Ethier struggles against LHP. I feel like they offer the same tools power bat, mostly DH with some position versatility. That's what I mean they are the same.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 03:16 AM)
Morse played 84 games in the OF last year and some at 1st. Too me I don't want either playing

OF everyday and would prefer Morse as he hits both RHP and LHP well. Where Ethier struggles against LHP. I feel like they offer the same tools power bat, mostly DH with some position versatility. That's what I mean they are the same.

the only way for the sox to look at Ethier is b/c of a trade.

edit .... if there is no trade with the dodgers, I really don't see the sox wanting him.

but the trade has to be completely one side, in the sox favor.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
Morse played 84 games in the OF last year and some at 1st. Too me I don't want either playing OF everyday and would prefer Morse as he hits both RHP and LHP well. Where Ethier struggles against LHP. I feel like they offer the same tools power bat, mostly DH with some position versatility. That's what I mean they are the same.

Ethier is a legitimate outfielder. Morse shouldn't be playing in the outfield. If Morse had played the entire season in the outfield he would have beaten out Matt Kemp for worst defensive OF in baseball. Ethier, meanwhile, is probably a tick above league average at the corners and could play CF if needed.

Being the left half of a platoon (Ethier) you get 500 plate appearances. Morse has managed to stay on the field to top 500 plate appearances exactly one time in his career.

If Morse is still out there when we're sorting out our DH situation he could make sense, but he's got no business in the outfield.