Kenny Williams discussed as CEO candidate in Toronto

southsider2k5

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Was KW thinking about resigning so he could interview for that job, or was he thinking about it because he was upset JR wouldn't let him?

JR is a loyal guy, but loyalty is a 2 way street. I wonder if KW's comments damaged that in any way in JR's mind.

Good question.

Bad timing though. Want everyone in that front office all in for Whitesox longterm. Short-termers have been known to make short-term moves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Was KW thinking about resigning so he could interview for that job, or was he thinking about it because he was upset JR wouldn't let him?

JR is a loyal guy, but loyalty is a 2 way street. I wonder if KW's comments damaged that in any way in JR's mind.

I am guessing a bit of both.

Jim Duquette ‏@Jim_Duquette 4m4 minutes ago

An executive aware of the Toronto exec process told me that Williams candidacy is at least 3 weeks old and unlikely going to be resolved.

Would be the first African American to run a pro baseball franchise in history. This asking permission rule in MLB is old and antiquated

It looks like it's time for another change / GM topic to be addressed

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
I guess I'm trying to understand the operational differences between KW's current position and the position with the Blue Jays. Seems like he's the boss of the GM in both cases.

I'm guessing in Toronto, he'd play the role Reinsdorf does in Chicago.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
So with the Sox, one of the ownership group acts as the CEO of the team, but in Toronto, the ownership group hires it out, that's the difference?

My guess is that because the Blue Jays are a subsidiary of Rogers. I'm sure whoever is head of Rogers probably would rather hire a baseball man to run the Blue Jays than have some suit who probably couldn't care less.

Again, just my speculation.

Edited by woods of ypres

My guess is that because the Blue Jays are a subsidiary of Rogers. I'm sure whoever is head of Rogers probably would rather hire a baseball man to run the Blue Jays than have some suit who could probably care less.

Again, just my speculation.

OK, thanks for the clarification. So basically Toronto wants to hire KW a job that he couldn't have with the Sox without buying a substantial portion of the team.

I think the Sox with KW >> Sox without KW, but I also think if KW wants this job then JR doesn't really help anything by standing in his way.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
So with the Sox, one of the ownership group acts as the CEO of the team, but in Toronto, the ownership group hires it out, that's the difference?

Maybe. That's about the only thing I can think of, but it would make sense. I'm sure Reinsdorf has money elsewhere, but the Rogers Group owns the Blue Jays and I don't think their biggest priority is running a baseball team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
I guess I'm trying to understand the operational differences between KW's current position and the position with the Blue Jays. Seems like he's the boss of the GM in both cases.

Kenny still has a pretty big part of the day to day operations. As CEO he'd be more of the business guy. For example, he'd probably have a say in things like the TV contract, or the concessions vendors. I am pretty sure he doesn't do that kind of stuff in Chicago. He wouldn't be out scouting the next Jose Abreu, that's for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Paul Sullivan ‏@PWSullivan 2m2 minutes ago San Diego, CA

Kenny says Reinsdorf won't allow him to talk with Jays "at this time." He is not considering resigning.

You really wonder if some of this comes down to the competitiveness of this occurring during the course of our off-season, with specific plans and tactics lined up. I think if it is still available in late January, it becomes fair game. But right now, we just lose a significant competitive advantage by having Kenny with what he knows leave the organization.

Paul Sullivan ‏@PWSullivan 2m2 minutes ago San Diego, CA

Kenny says to ask Reinsdorf why he was not allowed to talk to Jays. Reinsdorf spokesman says he has no comment.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 3m3 minutes ago

Kenny Williams is staying with the #Whitesox for now, but permission could be granted for #BlueJays CEO later.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2m2 minutes ago

Ken Williams said his relationship with Reinsdorf is good. Said JR denied KW talk to Jays because timing not good for Sox. Focus on rebuild.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 5m5 minutes ago

KW: "I talked to Jerry, and he just felt it was not the right time. He did tell me he did not deny permission .... .

More KW: "... But he did not grant it at this particular time either because we have White Sox work to do."

More KW: "I completely understand that and support that."

• 1 month later...

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 11m11 minutes ago

If a TOR/Duquette deal is finished, compensation will be substantial. Jeff Hoffman discussed.

Looking back now, if the Jays were heavily pursuing KW like reports said they were until Duquette came along. Would you rather keep KW or get Jeff Hoffman compensation?

I think I know the answer, but it's slow around here and just wanted some discussion.

I would of gladly take Hoffman or Dolton Pompei (another rumored player for compensation) for KW.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)

If a TOR/Duquette deal is finished, compensation will be substantial. Jeff Hoffman discussed.

Looking back now, if the Jays were heavily pursuing KW like reports said they were until Duquette came along. Would you rather keep KW or get Jeff Hoffman compensation?

I think I know the answer, but it's slow around here and just wanted some discussion.

I would of gladly take Hoffman or Dolton Pompei (another rumored player for compensation) for KW.

That is a great question. I think with Hahn in place you let him go.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)

I would absolutely take the top prospect for KW.