Adam Dunn is retiring

southsider2k5

Anyone want to call Dave Kingman an HOF? I'd put Dunn in the same category, albiet with more walks.

Dunn >>> Kingman

Kingman's career slash line was 236/302/478

Dunn's career slash line was 237/364/490 with almost 1000 more PA. I don't think Dunn is HOF either, but he deserves a lot more votes than Kingman ever got.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
Dunn >>> Kingman

Kingman's career slash line was 236/302/478

Dunn's career slash line was 237/364/490 with almost 1000 more PA. I don't think Dunn is HOF either, but he deserves a lot more votes than Kingman ever got.

A ton of that slash line gets lost in completely different eras of baseball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
A ton of that slash line gets lost in completely different eras of baseball.

Adam Dunn's career wRC+ was 123, Kingman's 113. Dunn was the better hitter but maybe not as much as we would normally think. WAR is also tough to judge based on different eras, as defensive values 30-40 years ago are estimated, but Kingman's was ~20 while Dunn was at ~22. They were fairly similar.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Adam Dunn's career wRC+ was 123, Kingman's 113. Dunn was the better hitter but maybe not as much as we would normally think. WAR is also tough to judge based on different eras, as defensive values 30-40 years ago are estimated, but Kingman's was ~20 while Dunn was at ~22. They were fairly similar.

And as I said the difference in the numbers is walks. As hitters, they are pretty much carbon copies, with Kingman even standing out a little more in an era where powerhitters were more rare compared to the meat of Dunn's best years. Those walks sure aren't enough to move Dunn into even HOF discussion. Heck for a guy who did one thing well, he didn't even hit a number like 500 homers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
Under zero scenario is Dunn a HOF'er. Not in my eyes.

He ended any HOF chance he had by retiring at 34. He's still capable of putting up a 110-120 wRC+ and still can homeruns at as high of a rate as anybody and he really could have had a job as long as he stayed at that level. Had he played and kept that level for another 4-5 years, he would be flirting with 550-600 HRs, 1500 RBIs, and 1700 BBs. As a guy with zero PED allegations, I think they would have a hard time keeping him out with that many homers regardless of what his batting average was.

you guys are way too kind, he stole my money and for that there is no forgiveness.

His body language and the s*** eating grin on his face every time he drew a walk

was one reason I could not stand to see him in the batter's box. Draw a walk, I'm

not paying him to draw walks, I could bring back Smokey Burgess to do that. Why

they let him sit out the last week so he wouldn't break the all-time strikeout record

i'll never know? Would have served him right. thanks, douglas

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 05:49 AM)
you guys are way too kind, he stole my money and for that there is no forgiveness.

His body language and the s*** eating grin on his face every time he drew a walk

was one reason I could not stand to see him in the batter's box. Draw a walk, I'm

they let him sit out the last week so he wouldn't break the all-time strikeout record

considering he didn't draw that many walks, i imagine you didn't see him smile at you while he's stealing your money that much.

Striking out all the god dammed time and only hitting 11 home runs in his first year with the sox is stealing my money.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
He ended any HOF chance he had by retiring at 34. He's still capable of putting up a 110-120 wRC+ and still can homeruns at as high of a rate as anybody and he really could have had a job as long as he stayed at that level. Had he played and kept that level for another 4-5 years, he would be flirting with 550-600 HRs, 1500 RBIs, and 1700 BBs. As a guy with zero PED allegations, I think they would have a hard time keeping him out with that many homers regardless of what his batting average was.
It wouldn't surprise me if he pulls a sandberg. Take a year or two off and clear your head.

But I agree, he can easily get a job, especially if he worked cheap.

The two main reasons the Sox signed him were to hit homeruns

and get on base. How does a guy who hits for a low average get

on base? Oh yea, by walking. When the bases are empty a walk

is every bit as good as a single. But I'm guessing by your previous

postings that you would much rather prefer a slap singles hitter who

hit .300 but had a .650 OPS as opposed to a .220 hitter with a .800

OPS. Thanks, lasttriptotulsa.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 07:15 AM)
considering he didn't draw that many walks, i imagine you didn't see him smile at you while he's stealing your money that much.

Striking out all the god dammed time and only hitting 11 home runs in his first year with the sox is stealing my money.

Adam Dunn didn't walk much? Sorry, you lose a lot of credibility with that statement. The two things he did best were walk and hit homeruns, both of which he did in spades with the Sox the last three years. From 2011-2014 his BB% was the 6th best in all of baseball and his total number of BBs was 4th best. Hell, even during 2011 which was one of the worst seasons in MLB history, his BB% was 8th best in all of baseball. He also hit the 5th most homeruns in all of baseball from 2012 to 2014. Not saying that his time in Chicago was any great success, but the last three years he was nowhere near being the White Sox' biggest problem.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

Actually, you WERE paying him to draw walks.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
Dude was classy as hell and had an unprecedented drop off.

He ended up being an awful signing (but even then, short term deal and not expensive by current going rates) but could never dislike the guy.

Unless you take on the field performance personally, there was no reason to hate Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
The two main reasons the Sox signed him were to hit homeruns

and get on base. How does a guy who hits for a low average get

on base? Oh yea, by walking. When the bases are empty a walk

is every bit as good as a single. But I'm guessing by your previous

postings that you would much rather prefer a slap singles hitter who

hit .300 but had a .650 OPS as opposed to a .220 hitter with a .800

OPS. Thanks, lasttriptotulsa.

Adam Dunn didn't walk much? Sorry, you lose a lot of credibility with that statement. The two things he did best were walk and hit homeruns, both of which he did in spades with the Sox the last three years. From 2011-2014 his BB% was the 6th best in all of baseball and his total number of BBs was 4th best. Hell, even during 2011 which was one of the worst seasons in MLB history, his BB% was 8th best in all of baseball. He also hit the 5th most homeruns in all of baseball from 2012 to 2014. Not saying that his time in Chicago was any great success, but the last three years he was nowhere near being the White Sox' biggest problem.

and his strikeouts still vastly outnumbered his walks.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
and his strikeouts still vastly outnumbered his walks.

Who cares? You can say the same about nearly every player. Dunn had the second highest BB/K ratio on the team last year. Only Eaton was better.

Mike Trout BB/K - .451

Adam Dunn BB/K - .492