Midwest Region

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
The two IU fans i'm friends with, irrational types, think Indiana is a top 5 job and they'll be able to pull either Stevens or Shaka to Bloomington. I'd say they're a bit out of touch with reality. IU fans better set their radar a little lower.

Go after Ben Jacobson from UNI.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
The two IU fans i'm friends with, irrational types, think Indiana is a top 5 job and they'll be able to pull either Stevens or Shaka to Bloomington. I'd say they're a bit out of touch with reality. IU fans better set their radar a little lower.

It can be a top 5 job. But right now it's simply not there. If a coach can come in and recruit Indiana and coach the hell out of the kids its a premier program.

I will give ND credit for being far and away the most clutch team in college basketball this year. They have made an insane amount of "onions" shots

Yes, but their level of play is going to have to be more like the last two games of the ACC tournament and less like the first two games of the NCAA tournament if they want to win any more games.

Am I wrong for wanting to play Kansas instead of Wichita St?

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 05:09 AM)
They match up well vs Kansas, but Kansas is still a much tougher out than WSU.

I know it's a cliche, but Notre Dame really wanted it today in a game against an equally fiery Butler team. We will find out Sunday how much Kansas wants it. Will their sometimes zombielike turnover prone team play balls out basketball as Butler and ND did? We shall see. From what I've seen, ND is a FAR superior team over Kansas.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 06:03 AM)
I know it's a cliche, but Notre Dame really wanted it today in a game against an equally fiery Butler team. We will find out Sunday how much Kansas wants it. Will their sometimes zombielike turnover prone team play balls out basketball as Butler and ND did? We shall see. From what I've seen, ND is a FAR superior team over Kansas.

Just cause it was a close game doesn't mean both teams played well. Butler didn't make a jump shot past the FT line until 16 minutes was left in the game. Neither team scored in the last three minutes of regulation, including Butler missing the rim on their last three shots.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)

How did all five IND teams end up in the same bracket (Purdue, Valpo, IU)???

It was cool, that aspect, State Championship, like Iowa, Iowa State and UNI being in the same bracket (Iowa could have played Iowa State in the 3rd game (regional semi-final) theoretically.

From having spent ten years in Kansas City and following both KU and Missouri sports very closely, this KU team is a SHADOW talent-wise from those former teams. I'm not even sure what players on the current team are sure-fire NBA players or even first round draft picks. Before, some of Self's and Williams' teams were so deep you had NBAers coming off the bench, like a Cole Aldrich type.

I haven't been able to watch a single NCAA game before this past weekend (because of being blocked out in China), but ND really was impressive, they've got the inside presence with Auguste, strong guard play (Jerian Grant), Connaughton....Jackson, Vasturia, very well balanced IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 08:20 AM)
Just cause it was a close game doesn't mean both teams played well. Butler didn't make a jump shot past the FT line until 16 minutes was left in the game. Neither team scored in the last three minutes of regulation, including Butler missing the rim on their last three shots.

If Roosevelt Jones was playing on two healthy knees and had his normal level of explosiveness, it might have been a different conclusion.

Was impressed with their center (really a small forward in the NBA), Kameron Woods. Really good set of game-impacting skills...great length. Needs to fill out a bit, but I would love to have an athlete like that on Iowa. Olaseni's SOMEWHAT similar, but...a poor man's version.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
It can be a top 5 job. But right now it's simply not there. If a coach can come in and recruit Indiana and coach the hell out of the kids its a premier program.

I suppose it CAN be, but it's not the 80's anymore. Until Izzo and Ryan retire, they're, at best, the third best program in the Big Ten. Looking back of the last 20 years and projecting ahead a little, not sure Indiana overtakes OSU, Ill or Mich either. They've been just an average program since Knight left. I think 3 sweet 16's in 20 years, 2 of those coming just recently on the heels of a perfect storm of recruiting.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 07:33 AM)
How did all five IND teams end up in the same bracket (Purdue, Valpo, IU)???

It was cool, that aspect, State Championship, like Iowa, Iowa State and UNI being in the same bracket (Iowa could have played Iowa State in the 3rd game (regional semi-final) theoretically.

From having spent ten years in Kansas City and following both KU and Missouri sports very closely, this KU team is a SHADOW talent-wise from those former teams. I'm not even sure what players on the current team are sure-fire NBA players or even first round draft picks. Before, some of Self's and Williams' teams were so deep you had NBAers coming off the bench, like a Cole Aldrich type.

I haven't been able to watch a single NCAA game before this past weekend (because of being blocked out in China), but ND really was impressive, they've got the inside presence with Auguste, strong guard play (Jerian Grant), Connaughton....Jackson, Vasturia, very well balanced IMO.

That's because the sure-fire NBA guys are leaving after 1-2 years, and so the depth never builds enough to do that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
I suppose it CAN be, but it's not the 80's anymore. Until Izzo and Ryan retire, they're, at best, the third best program in the Big Ten. Looking back of the last 20 years and projecting ahead a little, not sure Indiana overtakes OSU, Ill or Mich either. They've been just an average program since Knight left. I think 3 sweet 16's in 20 years, 2 of those coming just recently on the heels of a perfect storm of recruiting.

1) WI

2) MSU/MD/OSU

3) Illinois/Michigan/Indiana

4) Purdue/Iowa/Minnesota/Nebraska

PSU/NW/Rutgers

3 and 4 could be interchangeable, although the 3 schools should have the built-in recruiting advantages

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 12:09 AM)
They match up well vs Kansas, but Kansas is still a much tougher out than WSU.

Whether you want to look at Vegas or Kenpom or whatever else WSU and KU are basically even teams this year, in no world is KU a "much tougher out" than The Shockers. As far as ND goes, it just depends what you'd rather play. WSU is one of the few teams in the country that can match their guards but KU can beat them up a bit inside.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)

I'll definitely give you Ohio State, and probably Michigan, but Illinois is not a better job (nor a better program) than Indiana right now.

1. Wisconsin/Michigan St

2. Ohio St/Maryland

3. Michigan

4. Indiana/Illinois/Iowa

5. Purdue/Minnesota

6. Nebraska

7. Northwestern

8. Penn St/Rutgers

Neither of the last two games were anything resembling ND's best effort on offense, but they were pretty good defensive games. Need to play better than that to beat WSU, and way, way better than that just to not get embarrassed by Kentucky.

The back to back games against Duke and UNC the previous weekend were works of art, however. No team outside of Kentucky has played that well in consecutive games this season.

Also, ND has won seven games this season against five different Sweet 16 teams. In any of the other three brackets, I'd put good money on them to get to the Final Four.