Midwest Region

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
Seems to only be called tight on one end of the floor. If the refs let Kentucky use their hands on defense that much Saturday then ND won't fare any better than WVU is right now.

That last "jump ball" was a classic example. Post players using arm bars. Not good.

Does Pitsnogle have more eligibility?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think ND presents a challenge.

Obviously Kentucky is the far superior team. These are the assets ND can bring:

1) Won't be intimidated. I realize this Kentucky team is in a class by themselves, but ND has played Duke 3 times, UNC twice, Louisville and MSU each once, so they are used to seeing elite names on the front of opposing jerseys.

2) Won't give up. ND has been down double digits plenty of times so they aren't just going to roll over like most teams do when Kentucky gets them down 10+

3) ND has guys who can hit insane shots that nobody can defend. If they hit a high enough percentage of them, it's hard for anybody to beat them.

All that said, I still can't figure out how ND has much chance of keeping Kentucky from scoring just about every time down the floor. I guess the best shot is to just pack a zone in real tight and hope that Harrison and Booker have career worst 3 point shooting nights. A couple hours ago, I was thinking that trying a full court press might be a good idea, working under the assumption that once Kentucky gets past half court they are going to score anyway, but ND never presses and a team that presses for a living is getting destroyed using it so that plan is out the window.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
And duke, who beat nd by 30 earlier this year. Although nd did beat them by 4 before that.

Duke Wisconsin and ND will have shots. We will see. This Kentucky team is one of the greats though. So deep and dominant. The only problem with them is their development for the NBA was a bit stunted IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
I also think ND is one of those teams that is actually getting better.

And they almost lost their first two tournament games.

But like I said earlier, if they are on, they can beat anybody, just cab they hit their threes against the Kentucky D

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 12:22 AM)
I haven't liked this ND team all year but this is the type of matchup that can give UK trouble. ND is going to score points, let's just see if they can somehow stop Kentucky. This can be fun.

I think Notre Dame's best bet is to hold the ball for 30+ seconds on each possession, then shoot a 3.

The line is Kentucky -11.5, wow.

They have no size inside and Brey always over-works the starters by giving them too many minutes during the regular season.

Kentucky pretty much has two teams on their roster. Their bench could start for many top division 1 teams.

ND is there despite Brey's coaching style. He's the Tom Thibodeau of college basketball.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
How do you get doubled up in the Sweet 16? Jesus Christ. They also shot half as well as Kentucky (24% vs. 48%).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 12:12 AM)
Poked the bear for no reason.

Yeah, when you're playing a loaded team you don't brag until you actually knock them out.

That's a bad call against August. Now it changes their lineup entirely.

By definition, yes, that's a bad call, but it goes against the defense 99% of the time.

The missed hack on the "block" of Auguste's shot early in the half was the only really bad call I saw.

ND not shooting well, getting too many shots blocked, turning the ball over too much, and still tied.