Roster Cuts

flavum

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/578217160872427520

Roster moves continued: Raul Fernandez and Michael Ynoa optioned to @BhamBarons

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/578217200907087872

Roster moves continued: Dan Black, Andy LaRoche, J.D. Martin, Jared Mitchell, Tim Anderson & Tyler Danish reassigned to minor-league camp

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/578217122280706048

#WhiteSox roster moves: Matt Davidson, Adrian Nieto, Tyler Saladino, Kevan Smith & Trayce Thompson optioned to @KnightsBaseball
Edited by flavum

Thompson only mild surprise, and Nieto I thought was AA-bound.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
No room for Brantly/Kotarras in Charlotte already.

Yeah, that's all a little weird, I thought Nieto would be starting in AA, Smith in AAA, one of Brantly/Kottaras backing up in Charlotte and the other gone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
I'm guessing Kottaras and Soto probably have outs in their minor league deals if they don't make the team.

At this point i wouldnt be terribly surprised if Soto broke camp as the starter. Flowers is batting a robust .105

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
At this point i wouldnt be terribly surprised if Soto broke camp as the starter. Flowers is batting a robust .105

No way they do that. Soto appears to have problems receiving and from every indication the Sox' first priority in a catcher is "don't piss off the staff". Can you imagine Sale the first time Soto throws the ball into CF or misses an easy block? Same thing for Shark and all the staff.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
Thompson only mild surprise, and Nieto I thought was AA-bound.

Yeah, that's all a little weird, I thought Nieto would be starting in AA, Smith in AAA, one of Brantly/Kottaras backing up in Charlotte and the other gone.

i was hoping for Thompson to pull it out and go north. i thought he did ok in spring training.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
any word on erik johnson.

I think that we may have all collectively made him up. I'm not entirely sure he isn't just a subconscious/groupthink-related psychological coping mechanism that arose from the complete lack of pitching talent we had in the minors. Now that Rodon is around, we're not "seeing things" anymore.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
I think that we may have all collectively made him up. I'm not entirely sure he isn't just a subconscious/groupthink-related psychological coping mechanism that arose from the complete lack of pitching talent we had in the minors. Now that Rodon is around, we're not "seeing things" anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
If he wasn't listed, he is still in camp.

One of these answers is true, and the other is awesome.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)

Jeez, at least we could have come up with a cooler name for him.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
So Hawkins is still around? I've enjoyed watching him play this spring.

I'm kinda bummed about Thompson and Saladino. I thought they'd stick around a bit longer, and in Thompson's case, challenge Shuck for the 4th/5th OF spot.

I think Thompson should feel thrilled. He almost certainly showed off a major league asset in his defense and some nice hitting. His confidence should be high after some meh last few years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
I think Thompson should feel thrilled. He almost certainly showed off a major league asset in his defense and some nice hitting. His confidence should be high after some meh last few years.

Yea he showed well. He puts together something like 270/330/470 for a couple months in AAA he could find himself up in July and in a pennant race.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)

Can anyone clarify for me why Anderson and Danish weren't designated to a specific location yet? Does this mean they will be heading back to WS? Or they just haven't decided if they will start the year in AA?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Can anyone clarify for me why Anderson and Danish weren't designated to a specific location yet? Does this mean they will be heading back to WS? Or they just haven't decided if they will start the year in AA?

The players optioned to Birmingham and Charlotte are on the 40-man. The rest will be assigned later on, but Anderson and Danish will be going to B'ham.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
The players optioned to Birmingham and Charlotte are on the 40-man. The rest will be assigned later on, but Anderson and Danish will be going to B'ham.

Cool, thank you

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
So Hawkins is still around? I've enjoyed watching him play this spring.

I'm kinda bummed about Thompson and Saladino. I thought they'd stick around a bit longer, and in Thompson's case, challenge Shuck for the 4th/5th OF spot.

I love what Trayce brings to the table defensively, and I hope that RH can assemble a roster where the luxury of a defense-only OF stud can occupy the 25th spot, but we should pump the brakes, I believe, on Trayce's offensive output here in ST. He's spent more than two whole seasons in AA, and hasn't exactly mastered it. It stands to reason that he may also need significant time for offensive adjustment to AAA, let alone the bigs.

It's possible, I suppose, that he's made adjustments that will accelerate his progress going forward, and the hitter's haven in Charlotte could make him look like a prospect again - at least as a solid reserve OF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 1h1 hour ago

#WhiteSox decision to send Adrian Nieto to minors is a good thing for Nieto. He impressed as Tyler Flowers' backup but needs to play.

another "no duh" Rogers moment. Nieto should be thanking his lucky stars every single day he was a rule 5 pick. Not only did he get a year service time, big league p**** for a year and all the perks he also got a year of MLB quality instruction as the backstop.

I don't know if Nieto will ever pan out but he held his own last year and if he cleans up his receiving he could easily have a 10 year career as a backup catcher. Not sure he'll ever hit enough to be a regular.