Baltimore Riots

greg775

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
I don't have any good comparison studies (that I'm aware of) for you to look at, but an interesting comparison for you to abstractly think about would be Minneapolis and St. Paul. Obviously comparable for many reasons. Minneapolis is typically seen as the force that only hires ex-military. Interestingly, 94% of Minneapolis officers and 78% of St. Paul cops don't live in their respective cities.

The tension between the Minneapolis PD and North Minneapolis (yes, this is the typically poorer and mostly black part of town) is pretty well known. Not sure if it's as blatant or widespread in St. Paul.

That's why Kansas City, KS, had a program to provide reduced cost housing/favorable loan terms to their police officers and I'm pretty sure public school teachers as well...to keep them in the community they serve, hopefully fostering and improving their relationship with that aforementioned neighborhood.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/...0428-story.html

This woman from the community center that was torched is incredibly upbeat/positive and resilient in the face of such an event...laudable. No time for feeling sorry for herself or her organization.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/28/us/baltimore...-son/index.html

The woman who smacked her son and cursed at him for participating is now the main story on CNN's homepage.

SIGH.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/obama-condemns...eath-1430246886

In addition to local police, the FBI is investigating the circumstances of Mr. Gray’s death, although “federal jurisdiction in these cases is limited and they are hard to make,” said William Yeomans, who once led the Justice Department’s civil-rights division and is now a professor at American University in Washington, D.C. Investigations can highlight best practices for police departments, but they alone won’t address all the problems, Mr. Yeomans said. “The trick now is figuring out how you convince other police departments to adopt those best practices.”

Since last fall, the Justice Department has been engaged in what it calls a “collaborative reform” effort with the Baltimore police department on its policies. That level of scrutiny from the federal government is a step below the pattern and practice investigation that the department launched into the Ferguson, Mo., police department. “The challenge for us as the federal government is that we don’t run these police forces,” Mr. Obama said. “But what I can do is to start working with them collaboratively so that they can begin this process of change themselves.”

Edited by caulfield12

Exactly what I’ve been saying. I follow a bunch of activisits on twitter because I’m cool like that, and they were literally predicting that this was going to happen. Once you started to see the police’s actions, it was pretty clear.

This wasn’t a reactive move on BPD’s part, it was an offensive. And it worked like a charm because white America is now shocked that a CVS was burned down and a baseball game postponed, so they don’t give a f*** about the man killed in police custody.

Well played, Baltimore Police. To think I wanted to be one of those f***ers back in the day. Oh, to be a college student again.

from the comments section there at gawker...entertaining reading

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social...rss=rss_traffic

Social media helped Balt police plan for mayhem

Edited by caulfield12

But one tweet got particular attention from activists. Patrisse Cullors, one of the co-founders of #BlackLivesMatter and the director of the Truth and Reinvestment Campaign at the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, said she was most concerned about a letter the Baltimore Police Department tweeted that indicated a "credible threat" of violence from rival gangs including the Bloods and Crips.

https://twitter.com/BaltimorePolice/status/...711198241595395

"I think there is the conversation that happens on social media from law enforcement in many places that some people would say are just lies," Cullors said. "They are putting out information on the one hand and on the other hand propaganda."

Baltimore police didn't respond to requests for comment on their social media strategy.

http://zh.scribd.com/doc/263262264/Credible-Threat

(If you note in the comments, already twitter followers were asking exactly where/how this "credible threat" originated, for some type of evidence or proof besides taking the words of the press release at face value)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/28/politics/bal...edia/index.html

What a LOAD OF CRAP. Now the public is discovering that gangs never said such a thing. JUST MORE LIES FROM BALTIMORE PD, but what can you expect? They've been spinning this for all it's worth in order to justify the VIOLENCE they have perpetrated against Baltimore civilians FOR YEARS.

This is just MORE BULLs*** from Baltimore PD. DON'T BUY INTO IT!!

The people perpetrating the VIOLENCE are the very same provocateurs that appeared in Ferguson last year.

The people throwing rocks and bottles AREN'T EVEN FROM BALTIMORE - they've been bused-in, and they've been instructed to INCITE VIOLENCE.

THEY ARE NOT Baltimore Civilians!

Don't buy into the HYPE, people!

Baltimore PD is full of s*** and LIES.

Whether ANY of that is true or not, the fact that some (or even many) in the African-American community believe it to be possible or even probable shows just how shattered the relationship is...and how little trust there actually is between both sides.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/...ory.html#page=1

Analysis of the gang involvement/non-involvement in the riots....some are questioning the "glorifying" of gangs by making public appearances with them constantly in an attempt to demonstrate they're not collaborating or working to "take out" the police

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 10:23 PM)
Exactly what I’ve been saying. I follow a bunch of activisits on twitter because I’m cool like that, and they were literally predicting that this was going to happen. Once you started to see the police’s actions, it was pretty clear.

This wasn’t a reactive move on BPD’s part, it was an offensive. And it worked like a charm because white America is now shocked that a CVS was burned down and a baseball game postponed, so they don’t give a f*** about the man killed in police custody.

Well played, Baltimore Police. To think I wanted to be one of those f***ers back in the day. Oh, to be a college student again.

from the comments section there at gawker...entertaining reading

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social...rss=rss_traffic

Social media helped Balt police plan for mayhem

Ahhh, yes, the trustworthy "activists" on Twitter.

This is the biggest load of stupidity I've seen posted in a LONG time.

Congratulations, you've won the Internet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 10:31 PM)
But one tweet got particular attention from activists. Patrisse Cullors, one of the co-founders of #BlackLivesMatter and the director of the Truth and Reinvestment Campaign at the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, said she was most concerned about a letter the Baltimore Police Department tweeted that indicated a "credible threat" of violence from rival gangs including the Bloods and Crips.

https://twitter.com/BaltimorePolice/status/...711198241595395

"I think there is the conversation that happens on social media from law enforcement in many places that some people would say are just lies," Cullors said. "They are putting out information on the one hand and on the other hand propaganda."

Baltimore police didn't respond to requests for comment on their social media strategy.

http://zh.scribd.com/doc/263262264/Credible-Threat

(If you note in the comments, already twitter followers were asking exactly where/how this "credible threat" originated, for some type of evidence or proof besides taking the words of the press release at face value)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/28/politics/bal...edia/index.html

What a LOAD OF CRAP. Now the public is discovering that gangs never said such a thing. JUST MORE LIES FROM BALTIMORE PD, but what can you expect? They've been spinning this for all it's worth in order to justify the VIOLENCE they have perpetrated against Baltimore civilians FOR YEARS.

This is just MORE BULLs*** from Baltimore PD. DON'T BUY INTO IT!!

The people perpetrating the VIOLENCE are the very same provocateurs that appeared in Ferguson last year.

The people throwing rocks and bottles AREN'T EVEN FROM BALTIMORE - they've been bused-in, and they've been instructed to INCITE VIOLENCE.

THEY ARE NOT Baltimore Civilians!

Don't buy into the HYPE, people!

Baltimore PD is full of s*** and LIES.

Whether ANY of that is true or not, the fact that some (or even many) in the African-American community believe it to be possible or even probable shows just how shattered the relationship is...and how little trust there actually is between both sides.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/...ory.html#page=1

Analysis of the gang involvement/non-involvement in the riots....some are questioning the "glorifying" of gangs by making public appearances with them constantly in an attempt to demonstrate they're not collaborating or working to "take out" the police

You seem to have some sort of fascination of believing whatever you read on Twitter, or whatever else you can read as long as it says exactly what you want it too.

If you want to question mainstream media, or even the Baltimore PD, fine...question them...I won't blame you. But these other sources? You're choosing to believe the Bloods and Crips, along with a bunch of opportunistically offended "people that care" on Twitter, who have less credibility than the mainstream media and the Baltimore PD combined.

They call that confirmation bias.

Edited by Y2HH

Some of you need to take a few steps back and take a few deep breaths...you've fallen off the rails in this thread.

Reading this thread from the first page to the last, it went from a conversation to a contest as to who can be the most outlandish, defending one side or the other with complete blindness to the opposing view.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
Well to be fair...the "the Bloods and Crips are creating riots!" rumor was posted in here as well.

For rumors to be believed, they have to have a believable subject matter.

Someone whispering to me, "You know, these two well known gangs, notorious for criminal activity and violence are helping create an atmosphere that leads to riots." ...call me crazy, but that's kind of believable.

So forgive me, but when these gangs, which I understand are just all really great people now, tell me they were just trying to keep the peace...forgive me when I laugh.

I'm sure the Bloods and Crips, after decades of murderous violence have suddenly seen the error of their ways, and now are crime fighting organizations that want to spread the word of peace. /s

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
There's a big excluded middle between "now are crime fighting organizations that want to spread the word of peace" and "Bloods and Crips working together to start riots!!".

...and the believable one is the latter.

I'm sure you're right though...organizations founded on crime and extreme violence are on a peace keeping mission now.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
that's not what excluded middle means.

They don't get the benefit of the doubt of an "excluded middle", because of what/who they are, what they were founded on, and what they represent.

That's the issue with reputation...you don't get to just flip a switch and change it. Reputation is earned, and over time, the one they've collectively earned disqualifies them from believability when it comes to that "excluded middle".

that's still not what excluded middle means. There are more possibilities than "now are crime fighting organizations that want to spread the word of peace" and that they're jointly coordinates riots and attacks on the BPD. Literally nobody has said the former, and recognizing how silly the latter is doesn't require it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
that's still not what excluded middle means. There are more possibilities than "now are crime fighting organizations that want to spread the word of peace" and that they're jointly coordinates riots and attacks on the BPD. Literally nobody has said the former, and recognizing how silly the latter is doesn't require it.

Jesus, for the fifth f***ing time, I know what "excluded middle" means, and they STILL don't get the benefit of the doubt, no matter how much you attempt to smudge the line for that f***ing middle ground. :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
They don't get the benefit of the doubt of an "excluded middle", because of what/who they are, what they were founded on, and what they represent.

That's the issue with reputation...you don't get to just flip a switch and change it. Reputation is earned, and over time, the one they've collectively earned disqualifies them from believability when it comes to that "excluded middle".

I am waiting for the inevitable post comparing the actions of the gangs to the actions of the police.

1) If you know what excluded middle means, why do you keep trying to say anyone who thinks that rumor is ridiculous must believe that these street gangs are now some sort of benevolent, crime-fighting organization?

2) It's not about "middle ground" or giving street gangs benefit of the doubt. These street gangs are s***ty, violent and destructive to their communities, but that doesn't mean we should take outlandish claims about them at face value.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
I am waiting for the inevitable post comparing the actions of the gangs to the actions of the police.

You'll get posts and statistics about whatever fits their current agenda, but anything you counter them with they'll claim is made up.

I mean...what the f***, we've devolved to a point where people are actually listening to the Crips and Bloods?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
1) If you know what excluded middle means, why do you keep trying to say anyone who thinks that rumor is ridiculous must believe that these street gangs are now some sort of benevolent, crime-fighting organization?

2) It's not about "middle ground" or giving street gangs benefit of the doubt. These street gangs are s***ty, violent and destructive to their communities, but that doesn't mean we should take outlandish claims about them at face value.

To pretend that a rumor that these gangs are trying to start riots isn't believable is what's stupid.

Again...that's a believable f***ing rumor, no matter who started it.