4/30: White Sox at Twins, no crowd due to Age of Ultron

Quin

It's not a good team and never had much of a chance to be one. We'll make some good runs and finish around .500 unless we just punt at some point, which I doubt we do. We spent a lot of resources on a mediocre LF, solid DH, mid-rotation SP, and elite closer. That doesn't a good team make unless you had a decent club to begin with.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a big issue with expectations vs. reality is that we have a team with below average defenders at all but two positions, but it's hard to wrap your head around that compared to batting averages, etc. The other thing is that there are only two fast players on the team and several plodders. In those "little things" areas of defense and baserunning, you're looking at a near-league-worst team. We have to be really good when it comes to hitting and pitching to overcome that and it doesn't look we have it in us to do that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
I think a big issue with expectations vs. reality is that we have a team with below average defenders at all but two positions, but it's hard to wrap your head around that compared to batting averages, etc. The other thing is that there are only two fast players on the team and several plodders. In those "little things" areas of defense and baserunning, you're looking at a near-league-worst team. We have to be really good when it comes to hitting and pitching to overcome that and it doesn't look we have it in us to do that.

And one of the fast guys never steals.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 1, 2015 -> 02:01 AM)
It's not a good team and never had much of a chance to be one. We'll make some good runs and finish around .500 unless we just punt at some point, which I doubt we do. We spent a lot of resources on a mediocre LF, solid DH, mid-rotation SP, and elite closer. That doesn't a good team make unless you had a decent club to begin with.

Doesn't help Eaton is having a horrific season and that Sale, Shark and Q have sucked.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 1, 2015 -> 02:04 AM)

I do question why Hahn made some quick fixes and then seemed to just neglect catcher spot and third base. Oh well, another month of bad playing and Samardzija will be on the trade market.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 10:05 PM)
Doesn't help Eaton is having a horrific season and that Sale, Shark and Q have sucked.

It sure doesn't. Like I said, I think we'll see some things even out and we'll play some stretches of exciting baseball.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
I still say this franchise can't afford another 65-73 win season this year, so they need to show some urgency these first few months.

A manager doesn't make 20 games difference. Besides, you have mentioned Gardenhire, and his teams averaged about 95 losses the last 4 years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
I do question why Hahn made some quick fixes and then seemed to just neglect catcher spot and third base. Oh well, another month of bad playing and Samardzija will be on the trade market.

Think OAK will give Semien back?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2015 -> 02:07 AM)
A manager doesn't make 20 games difference. Besides, you have mentioned Gardenhire, and his teams averaged about 95 losses the last 4 years.

The talent on the Sox this year has way more potential than those Twins teams did, especially on the mound.