NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
Salukis are 18-3. It isnt like they have been world beaters(they got smoked by Wichita St), but their schedule hasnt been sisters of the poor either. It doesnt make sense but it has been fun so far

Um, they have played one of the weakest schedules in the entire country (337 out of 351 per Kenpom, RPI isn't as good of an indicator but they are 291 there as well).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
Um, they have played one of the weakest schedules in the entire country (337 out of 351 per Kenpom, RPI isn't as good of an indicator but they are 291 there as well).

The ooc schedule was embarrassing. Barry scheduled to try and save his job and he might have done just that. Still, this is the best team we've had since we were a good program and they seem to be improving as the season goes on too. 2 of the next 3 are Evansville and @Wichita so we'll see what happens. If I had to guess we'll lose both but I'm just wired to be pessimistic about SIU basketball at this point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
Speaking of Northern Iowa... they beat North Carolina and Iowa State... but lose at home to Loyola and Drake, with the latter blowing them out? Now that's an odd team.

And this is a team that's just getting worse and worse. Obviously it helped a ton when they caught UNC and ISU because of injuries and what not but still, it's pretty crazy what's happened to them.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)

you should see the past few years where they pretty much actually played the sisters of the poor. Im not expecting a run in the tournament or even to make the tournament, but for the first time in a long time they have a good chance at some form of post season play. You gotta start somewhere after bottoming out

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
The ooc schedule was embarrassing. Barry scheduled to try and save his job and he might have done just that. Still, this is the best team we've had since we were a good program and they seem to be improving as the season goes on too. 2 of the next 3 are Evansville and @Wichita so we'll see what happens. If I had to guess we'll lose both but I'm just wired to be pessimistic about SIU basketball at this point.

And this is a team that's just getting worse and worse. Obviously it helped a ton when they caught UNC and ISU because of injuries and what not but still, it's pretty crazy what's happened to them.

To be clear, I haven't seen Southern Illinois play so other than just looking at their raw efficiency numbers I have no idea how good they are. I'm just saying that they have actually played the sisters of the poor for their schedule and other than replacing a marginal at best Kent State team with another truly garbage team it would basically have been impossible for them to have put together a weaker schedule.

It's more than talent, and more than strong defensive fundamentals. It's everything else: The frog-in-the-pot buildup of McCaffery's zone press, which begins as a token look and lulls opposing guards to sleep as it gradually gets more and more intense. The way Iowa's guards hit every cut, off of every screen, with a textbook-tight curl. It's how easily, and opportunistically, the Hawks steal points back with lightning fast-break strikes. It's adjustments and clever tweaks and a shared obsession with detail.

This team is good enough to not need to be so smart, so precise or so tricky. The Hawkeyes are all of the above anyway.

Thursday might have been Maryland's night, its win, the big one the Terps needed. But Iowa made them work for it -- and, in the process, did absolutely nothing to diminish its own reputation. The Hawkeyes are really good.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballn...-over-no-3-iowa

Disappointed, but they just didn't shoot the ball well tonight (defense on Uthoff was exceptional, as noted in the story)...Maryland desperately needed their first Top 25 win...and you simply have to defend your home court in the Big 10.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
Groce's offense for 4 seasons now has been - shoot 3's and pray they go in. How many 6, 8, 10 min stretches without scoring do we have to sit through?

We've been sitting through those droughts for 10 years now. The only season post Dee where we weren't bad on offense was McCamey's senior year and even that team wasn't great on offense and underachieved badly at that end.