Grilling

Heads22

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
good chi style Chorizo, mixed in ground beef 50/50 and make homemade chilli.

has anyone had this??

damn that sounds too rich for my taste. I love chorizo but a whole bowl of it would bad news for the shipps household.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 09:56 PM)
damn that sounds too rich for my taste. I love chorizo but a whole bowl of it would bad news for the shipps household.

but that is where your experimenting comes in.

after many yrs of doing this, i now settle on a 30 chorizo, 20 ground pork and i ground up my own beef and it is 50 percent.

i then cook it all together and then take it out and pat dry it. need to for that grease in the chorizo.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 29, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
I swear to god. Tonight as usual I grilled 11 perfect BBQ chicken thighs and my wife gets the twelve one that has a pink tint on the bone for the one she picked. Therefore I don't know how to grill chicken very well.

Lol I can't win.

That was likely pigment leakage from the marrow, and completely safe. Usually, the only time you need to worry about "pink" when it comes to poultry is when it's NOT next to bone.

So show her science to defeat her unsubstantiated claim you don't know how to grill chicken!

The Science: The USDA explains that even fully cooked poultry can sometimes show a pinkish tinge in the meat and juices. Pigment in the bone marrow can color the surrounding tissue and make the bones themselves look very dark. Hemoglobin in the muscles can likewise react with air during cooking to give the meat a pinkish color even after cooking.

does anyone here ever plank smoke fish on the grill? I have done it with trout and salmon, then i refridgerate it, squirt some lemon over the top and serve it chilled with crackers as an appetizer. Love it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
does anyone here ever plank smoke fish on the grill? I have done it with trout and salmon, then i refridgerate it, squirt some lemon over the top and serve it chilled with crackers as an appetizer. Love it

ooooo, that sound nice. i have to find different ways to cook fish. i got to try it.

many thanks.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:51 AM)
That was likely pigment leakage from the marrow, and completely safe. Usually, the only time you need to worry about "pink" when it comes to poultry is when it's NOT next to bone.

So show her science to defeat her unsubstantiated claim you don't know how to grill chicken!

The Science: The USDA explains that even fully cooked poultry can sometimes show a pinkish tinge in the meat and juices. Pigment in the bone marrow can color the surrounding tissue and make the bones themselves look very dark. Hemoglobin in the muscles can likewise react with air during cooking to give the meat a pinkish color even after cooking.

This is kind of what I tried to explain to her but she is super paranoid about it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
This is kind of what I tried to explain to her but she is super paranoid about it.

Thats one of the main reasons I bought a digital thermometer, my wife is super paranoid about chicken being done. I always show her when its taken off the grill.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
thats because you gave her food poisoning once.

This is actually a common misconception of correlation not equaling causation. People will often blame the last thing they ate they didn't really care for, OR that looked dubious when they come down with food poisoning. In reality, depending on the specific kind of food poisoning you have (if you even know what bug it is), it could be anything you ate from 1 hour to 7 DAYS ago, and if you include Hepatitis A in that, it could be anything you ate in the last 28 days.

Odds are, whatever a person thinks gave them food poisoning, it probably didn't.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
This is actually a common misconception of correlation not equaling causation. People will often blame the last thing they ate they didn't really care for, OR that looked dubious when they come down with food poisoning. In reality, depending on the specific kind of food poisoning you have (if you even know what bug it is), it could be anything you ate from 1 hour to 7 DAYS ago, and if you include Hepatitis A in that, it could be anything you ate in the last 28 days.

Odds are, whatever a person thinks gave them food poisoning, it probably didn't.

stop scientifically debunking my joke. Must always rip on Shipps :P

This past weekend we made bacon wrapped jalepeno poppers on the grill, they were delicious. Although next time I think I am gonna do the poppers a different way, My wife cut them in half and put the cheese inside and wrapped them. I think I am gonna cut the top off the jalepeno and then wrap it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
This past weekend we made bacon wrapped jalepeno poppers on the grill, they were delicious. Although next time I think I am gonna do the poppers a different way, My wife cut them in half and put the cheese inside and wrapped them. I think I am gonna cut the top off the jalepeno and then wrap it.

Scientifically, doing it the way you are trying to do it is stupid. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
Scientifically, doing it the way you are trying to do it is stupid. ;)

which way, the way I want to do it? I didnt like the cut in half popper because the cheese puffed out

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
which way, the way I want to do it? I didnt like the cut in half popper because the cheese puffed out

Sorry, I was just joking in case you missed it based on your previous reply...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
Ah, I thought you were joking and also making an observation

No, I think you have a good idea there but it sounds like kind of a pain in comparison to your wife's method.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 09:03 AM)
Thats one of the main reasons I bought a digital thermometer, my wife is super paranoid about chicken being done. I always show her when its taken off the grill.

My wife tries to make me use one. The problem is, she also seemingly uses the most conservative temperatures (the highest) that she can find. While she has been pregnant, it's been even more of an issue.

Luckily, we have limited our grilling mostly to burgers lately because we figure it's a waste to grill any steaks since they have to be cooked through entirely for her to eat them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
My wife tries to make me use one. The problem is, she also seemingly uses the most conservative temperatures (the highest) that she can find. While she has been pregnant, it's been even more of an issue.

Luckily, we have limited our grilling mostly to burgers lately because we figure it's a waste to grill any steaks since they have to be cooked through entirely for her to eat them.

The "blanding" of a pregnant womans diet really sucks. My wife craved sushi but knew it wasnt a good idea to eat it, but she told me she craved it. So then I craved it. And it was a long 9 months

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
The "blanding" of a pregnant womans diet really sucks. My wife craved sushi but knew it wasnt a good idea to eat it, but she told me she craved it. So then I craved it. And it was a long 9 months

They can eat sushi, thats a bulls*** myth. I loved watching people's reactions when we would go out for sushi when my wife was really pregnant.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
They can eat sushi, thats a bulls*** myth. I loved watching people's reactions when we would go out for sushi when my wife was really pregnant.

Huh, well her OB/Gyn seems to believe in bulls*** myths that the FDA supports

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
Huh, well her OB/Gyn seems to believe in bulls*** myths that the FDA supports

Sushi is dangerous to pregnant women just because its dangerous to all humans. If you go to a nice place and get your usual items there isnt any danger. Her OB/Gyn probably cautions her against all undercooked foods, aka all food, because its possible there is bacteria in it. Your wife and unborn child is MUCH more likely to get sick eating Chicken than raw fish served at your sushi bar. Not only that but "sushi" also includes cooked and vegetarian dishes as well.

Edited by RockRaines

oh man, i just woke up, today was day off. i saw a note of white castles in the freezer.....

it was great. it has been 7 yrs since i had these. Sam's now carries them frozen. i little touch of chi, still i prefer the late night drive to one in chi.

but beggars can't be choosey.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
Sushi is dangerous to pregnant women just because its dangerous to all humans. If you go to a nice place and get your usual items there isnt any danger. Her OB/Gyn probably cautions her against all undercooked foods, aka all food, because its possible there is bacteria in it. Your wife and unborn child is MUCH more likely to get sick eating Chicken than raw fish served at your sushi bar. Not only that but "sushi" also includes cooked and vegetarian dishes as well.

I believe it's also the mercury content, but that said, while my wife was pregnant, her doctor told her it's fine to eat sushi in moderation, just as it was fine to have a glass of wine in moderation.

The myth is that you can't have these things at all during pregnancy. It's simply untrue. This is more about medical professionals becoming afraid of their own shadows, than it is about facts. As you said, it's always dangerous to eat raw or undercooked food, not only while pregnant. The risks remain the same.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 05:39 AM)
I believe it's also the mercury content, but that said, while my wife was pregnant, her doctor told her it's fine to eat sushi in moderation, just as it was fine to have a glass of wine in moderation.

The myth is that you can't have these things at all during pregnancy. It's simply untrue. This is more about medical professionals becoming afraid of their own shadows, than it is about facts. As you said, it's always dangerous to eat raw or undercooked food, not only while pregnant. The risks remain the same.

This is about protecting themselves from malpractice. It's much easier for them to tell women not to eat these things at all than to explain all the caveats or variables.

Hell, our mothers drank and especially smoked with much more regularity than women do today, and with the exception of maybe Rock, most of us turned out ok.

Ultimately, you can do whatever the hell you want. It's just a question of which risks you are comfortable with and which you are not.