Grilling

Heads22

Bought a new grill to enjoy on the giant patio at my new condo, finally got to use it today and cooked up some chicken kabobs.

Did two different overnight homemade marinades:

1) Water, soy sauce, sesame oil, fresh lime juice

2) Water, soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, japanese hot spices, fresh lime juice

Both turned out pretty damn well, needs some slight tweaking (needs some garlic and maybe cilantro). Chicken turned out great though, love when I get the chicken done just right and it's just super tender.

What I really need to work on is the vegetables, I did a mix of green, red, yellow and orange bell peppers with onions on kabob sticks. Sprayed with olive oil and light garlic salt. While they don't taste bad I was struggling with cooking them all the way through without burning the crap out of the ends. I don't mind the crunch in the peppers but wanted the onions done more.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
Nice, what kind of grill did you get? Condo's can be tough to buy for.

Grill

While I have a 600sqft deck thats all concrete/brick I think I'm still limited to propane which is unfortunate but expected. Pretty happy with that grill at that price.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
Bought a new grill to enjoy on the giant patio at my new condo, finally got to use it today and cooked up some chicken kabobs.

Did two different overnight homemade marinades:

1) Water, soy sauce, sesame oil, fresh lime juice

2) Water, soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, japanese hot spices, fresh lime juice

Both turned out pretty damn well, needs some slight tweaking (needs some garlic and maybe cilantro). Chicken turned out great though, love when I get the chicken done just right and it's just super tender.

What I really need to work on is the vegetables, I did a mix of green, red, yellow and orange bell peppers with onions on kabob sticks. Sprayed with olive oil and light garlic salt. While they don't taste bad I was struggling with cooking them all the way through without burning the crap out of the ends. I don't mind the crunch in the peppers but wanted the onions done more.

I use the grill wok for vegetables, and make sure I am keeping them moving constantly so the cook through. It helps to put a piece of foil down on top of them to keep the steam down and cook them as well.

Also, I am pretty liberal with olive oil and let them soak in it for a half hour to an hour before I put them on the grill

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
Grill

While I have a 600sqft deck thats all concrete/brick I think I'm still limited to propane which is unfortunate but expected. Pretty happy with that grill at that price.

I have that grill, works well. Only done veggies on it once, I used a grill plate and sliced them in strips (peppers and some onions for the wife). Worked OK, at least she liked them.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
Looks good. What kind of chicken is that?>

The skewers are a Thai style recipe that I made up myself, plus a bit of turmeric lobbed in for a bit of random yellowness.

For the legs I used a spicey lime chicken wings recipe - quite delicious.

The other meats are Hungarian beef skewers and chicken hearts.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
The skewers are a Thai style recipe that I made up myself, plus a bit of turmeric lobbed in for a bit of random yellowness.

For the legs I used a spicey lime chicken wings recipe - quite delicious.

The other meats are Hungarian beef skewers and chicken hearts.

Yeah you're gonna have to post those recipes, all sound delicious.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Greetings all.

Here's my recent effort at a homemade grill - oil can barbecue.

11703520_10153357936087696_8000024537434

Hope you've all been keeping fabulously since my last posting here.

Can I come and live with you?