2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY TWO

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
Any chance Sox take Hooper or Sands over slot in round 10?

Only chance we sign him is if we can't sign Fulmer (or Fulmer gets hurt during CWS and signs for less money then expected). I suppose as a hedge against that, its not a bad play, but I think their are other guys better suited to take that chance on (and we won't be the only team doing this so it isn't like we can draft all of the guys sitting their that had first few round grades on them).

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
Only chance we sign him is if we can't sign Fulmer (or Fulmer gets hurt during CWS and signs for less money then expected). I suppose as a hedge against that, its not a bad play, but I think their are other guys better suited to take that chance on (and we won't be the only team doing this so it isn't like we can draft all of the guys sitting their that had first few round grades on them).

If they don't sign Fulmer, they lose his slot money and get the 9th pick next season

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
Hit .357/.456/.506 across 4 years with Fresno City College and Michigan.

Also hit well in the Cape Cod League. Like that pick a lot better than the 9th.

Nice stats and anotheanother pick to save money. Must have some big plans tomorrow

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
If they don't sign Fulmer, they lose his slot money and get the 9th pick next season

Your right, had forgotten that. So basically, only way we could make the money work is if either the guy we draft gets hurt and thus taking the money makes more sense or our top pick gets hurt (that or we sign almost everyone we took underslot).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 5m5 minutes ago

Talked to a very excited Blake Hickman, who will soon be joining his favorite team.

Hickman's favorite White Sox players as a fan? A.J. Pierzynski and Jose Valentin

New favorite Sox prospect. Gotta pull for your fellow Hawkeyes. The last with the Sox was Cal Eldred in 2000, fwiw.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
I agree, if you're going to throw s***, make sure it has power.

He tore up the the Cape Cod League. Very SSS but he was better in the CCL than he was in the B1G. That's with wood bats and top flight talent. This guys stats are good enough where I immediately thought of Feeky when his name was announced. Seems like someone the A's would draft. He's got crazy BABIPs with only slight above speed but he has kept it up over 4+ adequate-ish data sets. I am trying not to get too excited but to CF range with a crazy strong track record at plate out of a senior sign is a really nice value. At the least, he beats the piss out of Louis Lecich who would be 2014 draft equivalent.

High BABIPs at the lower minor league/college level are actually seen as signs of skill and pretty sustainable

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
I agree, if you're going to throw s***, make sure it has power.

He tore up the the Cape Cod League. Very SSS but he was better in the CCL than he was in the B1G. That's with wood bats and top flight talent. This guys stats are good enough where I immediately thought of Feeky when his name was announced. Seems like someone the A's would draft. He's got crazy BABIPs with only slight above speed but he has kept it up over 4+ adequate-ish data sets. I am trying not to get too excited but to CF range with a crazy strong track record at plate out of a senior sign is a really nice value. At the least, he beats the piss out of Louis Lecich who would be 2014 draft equivalent.

Again, some of these picks should give the Sox some cash to play with in these next few rounds (or if need be, with Carson, although I'd think he'd end up signing for close to slightly above slot). Hopefully Sox history of pushing their pitching prospects encourages Carson to sign sooner so he can get to work on making the bigs sooner vs. later (since that is where the real payday is anyway).

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
Unfortunately it seems like Fulmer is one of the only guys in the top 10 rumored to get slot. Him pitching in the CWS only complicates things. As far as picks 4-10 I would guess the following.

4.) Erwin - under

5.) Stephens - even

6.) Zangari - even/over

7.) Hickman - even/over

8.) Shroeder - even

9.) Hinchley - 10k

10.) Glines - 10k

I am not going to be holding my breath over a higher end HS talent tomorrow but it would be nice. I love that Glines pick. He has some Adam Eaton to him.

Remember, even if Fulmer goes at slot, with our draft pool we get the 5% to play with plus whatever we saved from the two 10K's + Erwin. That is enough to be able to give a few guys a couple hundred K or one guy half a mill. Not saying it will work but I'm sure there are some top few round guys that will end up taking that. It all comes down to the relationships our scouts have with the various guys to see who they think are worth the gamble.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
Remember, even if Fulmer goes at slot, with our draft pool we get the 5% to play with plus whatever we saved from the two 10K's + Erwin. That is enough to be able to give a few guys a couple hundred K or one guy half a mill. Not saying it will work but I'm sure there are some top few round guys that will end up taking that. It all comes down to the relationships our scouts have with the various guys to see who they think are worth the gamble.

Too bad the 5% rule publishes those with already small draft pools even further. I imagine the Astros for example can play with like 500k more than us when that rule comes into effect.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Too bad the 5% rule publishes those with already small draft pools even further. I imagine the Astros for example can play with like 500k more than us when that rule comes into effect.

Yep. At least we had a relatively high 1st round pick, which helps, but that lack of 2nd / 3rd round picks really gives us far less wiggle room then we otherwise would have had. I still get annoyed we haven't been aggressive in getting those competitive balance picks.

i don't know, i have been reading most of what has been written here and i am not impress. this draft, outside the pick of #1 and #7, was not a good draft. damn, i felt as the sox should have mailed in this draft. i guess if Fulmer signs, i guess that in itself is a successful draft.

i also know that not having a #2 and #3 pick didn't help, esp with the slotted money. i am not going to include anyone into this, my little rant, but i felt all the hype leading to this draft was a waste.

i could look at the best of this draft and concertate on that and look no further, trying to make the best of what happen today, but i won't.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
i don't know, i have been reading most of what has been written here and i am not impress. this draft, outside the pick of #1 and #7, was not a good draft. damn, i felt as the sox should have mailed in this draft. i guess if Fulmer signs, i guess that in itself is a successful draft.

i also know that not having a #2 and #3 pick didn't help, esp with the slotted money. i am not going to include anyone into this, my little rant, but i felt all the hype leading to this draft was a waste.

i could look at the best of this draft and concertate on that and look no further, trying to make the best of what happen today, but i won't.

With the MLB Draft I do feel like it's important to remind people that "Taking the best player available at every pick" is a strategy that probably won't work out well for you because you won't be able to sign most of them. In that sense it is very, very different from drafts we're used to for other sports like the NFL or NBA where there's very little reason to pass on "Best player available".

If your scouts can get a couple "diamonds in the rough" in those first 10 picks and at the same time you save yourself money to come away with 1 over-slot guy, you can set yourself up for the best possible draft. Especially since we gave away our 2nd and 3rd round picks to massively upgrade the big league team and successfully turn ourselves into a winning team through free agency, you take a look at the overall picture and hope you get 2-3 players out of the full thing, or at least 1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)
With the MLB Draft I do feel like it's important to remind people that "Taking the best player available at every pick" is a strategy that probably won't work out well for you because you won't be able to sign most of them. In that sense it is very, very different from drafts we're used to for other sports like the NFL or NBA where there's very little reason to pass on "Best player available".

If your scouts can get a couple "diamonds in the rough" in those first 10 picks and at the same time you save yourself money to come away with 1 over-slot guy, you can set yourself up for the best possible draft. Especially since we gave away our 2nd and 3rd round picks to massively upgrade the big league team and successfully turn ourselves into a winning team through free agency, you take a look at the overall picture and hope you get 2-3 players out of the full thing, or at least 1.

you got a point and i saw that, but i wasn't going to try to come up with some wild half arse way of making this work. with all due respect to all on this site, they are way too intelligent to insult them like that.

but even getting 1 prep pitcher in the later rounds, use the slotted money and them some to sign him. that is if his contract demands is not in the 3 mil+ range.

but some of those pitchers, the sox drafted, are they going to be real assets??? come on. even going for a positional player to help the team, again making the money work with ref to later draft picks.

remember 1 other thing, we as fans are not privy to conversations with the players the sox may or may not have talked to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)

If only Melky had been a "massive" upgrade. Sigh...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)

btw, since round 1, the sox didn't even attempt to take the BPA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:32 PM)
You might have noted the sarcasm building in that sentence as it went on.

if that was for me, i am not seeing things clearly.... with that. i am otta of here. i am still too pissed off.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
if that was for me, i am not seeing things clearly.... with that. i am otta of here. i am still too pissed off.

How about a more simple version:

If you're pissed off about who a team drafts in rounds 4+ in the MLB draft you're not understanding how the game is played in the draft in this sport.

It's ok to be pissed off about picks in the top round or maybe even top 2-3 rounds depending on whether you use the slot money. By the time you're in round 4 you're so far into the game of teams moving slot money around and players staying in school that some combination of scouting and luck becomes far more important.