Q trade value

ron883

Just what we need, another ex-Cub for marketing purposes...it does seem there's no in between with these trades, either they turn out like Garland/Karchner or Sosa/Bell.

As far as trading Quintana, the Nationals do make some sense...but if Giolito's going to be as good as everyone projects, I think they'd prefer to add back-end rotation pieces and improve the offense, and wait it out 1 or 1 1/2 years for his eventual arrival.

It would be an interesting trade for both teams, though. It's not like the one where the DBacks just kind of gave up Bauer for less than value...I still think we'd be better off going after arms who are on the outs with their organizations (think Bobby Jenks) rather than buying them at peak value.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:27 AM)
Whenever I brought up the possibility of the Sox trading Q, it seemed like people wanted burn me to the stake, but I digress.

Anyway, I was thinking about the Nats as a trade partner for Q at least during the offseason. Both Jordan Zimmermann and Doug Fister are free agents after the season. I think they both sign elsewhere, so that leaves them with two holes in their rotation. They are going to be looking for quality arms as they see themselves as contenders. The only starters that they have under contract are Scherzer, China Doll and Gio Gonzalez.

So I ask this, would you trade Q to the Nationals in exchange for Lucas Giolito and change (Your pick of lower level prospects, comp picks, international bonus slots and/or cash)?

I know I would. Giolito gives you a monster arm and the more comp picks you have the more talent you can add to the system through the draft.

If you trade Quintana is has to be for offense, whether that be a star or multiple prospects.

Chris Sale is one of the great bargains in baseball, under contract for another 4 ½ years at $52.8 million, with the last two seasons club options with small buyouts in case of injury. The idea of trading Sale is certainly tempting, especially with the White Sox's season barreling in the wrong direction – their minus-68 run differential is worst in the AL and better than only Philadelphia and Milwaukee – but wouldn't necessarily net as much as he's worth.

The potential surplus value on Sale's contract is so high that receiving commensurate value in a trade is almost impossible. What would the cost be for a pitcher who does what Clayton Kershaw or Felix Hernandez does at about a third the price? An organization's top four prospects? Five? More? It's so much that nearly every organization in baseball would balk at giving up so much talent for just one player, no matter how great.

White Sox GM Rick Hahn is creative and will entertain all possibilities, and executive say they plan on at least spitballing before the trade deadline. Sale is about as likely to go somewhere else as …

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--t...-043408970.html

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 06:57 AM)
If you trade Quintana is has to be for offense, whether that be a star or multiple prospects.

Agreed. Wouldn't the point behind trading Q be to get players to help this offense now or the immediate future?

The Nat's do make an interesting trade partner but if they want Q I think talks begin with Trea Turner and Jakson Reetz. Otherwise, there are 28 other teams in the league to talk with.

Edited by BlackSox13