Potential Bonafacio DL Stint

Dunt

SSS wrote a nice article outlining some possible scenarios involving a Bonafacio DL stint. While my preference would be to try out Thompson to improve the team defense, Im thinking it might seriously be time to consider bringing up Erik Johnson and moving Danks to the pen. If this team is serious about contending this season, you cannot be trotting Danks out there every 5 days. Erik Johnson has given up 2 runs over his last 47 innings, it's time for him to start in the majors.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Thompson is hurt. Leury is unfortunately likely. I'd rather see Kottaras or Micah if he's ready.

Kottaras would allow Soto to DH vs. lefties without fear of losing the DH position due to Flowers injury.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
in lieu of no other injuries, i would bring up EJ as a #6 sp.... go with a 6 man rotation.

We're battling for a playoff spot and you want to take 8 or so starts away from Sale, Samardzija, Quintana and Rodon and give them to Erik Johnson? Why? If Johnson enters the starting rotation, it's either because Danks was moved out of it or somebody got hurt.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
How many utility infielders to Cooper/Ventura need? Beckham is enough.

Bring up Micah.

the problem with Jones is that he has exactly TWO strikeouts in 14 innings of work.

Where is Micah going to play?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
Where is Micah going to play?

He can play some 2nd; play some DH. What's the downside? Lose a month of defensive development - okay, but it's worth the upside of having a good hitter on board who can actually steal a base (in contrast to Bonifacio who was inept at it).

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
We're battling for a playoff spot and you want to take 8 or so starts away from Sale, Samardzija, Quintana and Rodon and give them to Erik Johnson? Why? If Johnson enters the starting rotation, it's either because Danks was moved out of it or somebody got hurt.

the point is, while we the fans has no knowledge of rodon pitching restrictions, esp in the amount, and well danks is danks.

he can provide an alternative in the rotation. if the urgency is to make the most, then why not go on the 4 man rotation.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
the point is, while we the fans has no knowledge of rodon pitching restrictions, esp in the amount, and well danks is danks.

he can provide an alternative in the rotation. if the urgency is to make the most, then why not go on the 4 man rotation.

Rodon is only on pace for around 160 innings. He should not be really be too restricted the rest of the way. If we make the playoffs, we have an incredibly strong front 3 and a 4th starter isn't really needed in the playoffs.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
He can play some 2nd; play some DH. What's the downside? Lose a month of defensive development - okay, but it's worth the upside of having a good hitter on board who can actually steal a base (in contrast to Bonifacio who was inept at it).

He won't DH though. If he were RH I could see it. LaRoche will be playing against every RHP. It's fine to sit him against LHP but I wouldn't want to slide Micah in vs LHP necessarily either. I think they are going to let Micah tear up Charlotte some more and trade him in the offseason.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
I think they are going to let Micah tear up Charlotte some more and trade him in the offseason.

Well I agree with you here. Pity, really. He's easily a top 100 prospect and just the kind the Sox will undervalue. Infield is showing promise, but still no sense that either Saladino or Sanchez are major league starter quality in the long term.

I could see another trade Chris Young keep Anderson situation

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
Rodon is only on pace for around 160 innings. He should not be really be too restricted the rest of the way. If we make the playoffs, we have an incredibly strong front 3 and a 4th starter isn't really needed in the playoffs.

again, we as fans really don't know the restriction on rodon. so there is no way i will see innings from a fan as the end of conversation proof.

i agree on the bold.

how ever, the sox needs to win games to make the playoff. they the sox rotation really need a viable 4/5 pitcher who can take the ball to the mound when he is up.

This seems like a good poll question -- who to vote for to bring up.

Micah

Leury

Jones

Johnson

Other

My opinion -- if we trying to win as many games as possible? Micah wouldn't be bad to have up. Can play the DH spot 3-4 times a week and play 2B once a week. Adds a good bat to the lineup and some speed on the basepaths.

My other option would be to bring up Erik Johnson. Have him take a couple starts. Maybe skip Rodon once in the rotation and skip Danks once or twice. If EJohnson does well, keep him in there for Danksie Cat. I'm not a big innings counter guy, and in the scheme of things, skipping on Rodon start isn't huge, but if are going to make a run, may be nice to get him a break in there.

They should DL Boni either way.

Erik Johnson (with Danks to long man), Kottaras or Micah would all be good choices.

Kottaras allows Soto to DH vs. LHP, and gives us a decent late inning PH. I like the Micah idea, but I have a hard time believing he will get DH starts against RHP over LaRoche, so I doubt we see Micah until September.

Nate Jones is another option, but I'd rather see a bat.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
This seems like a good poll question -- who to vote for to bring up.

Micah

Leury

Jones

Johnson

Other

My opinion -- if we trying to win as many games as possible? Micah wouldn't be bad to have up. Can play the DH spot 3-4 times a week and play 2B once a week. Adds a good bat to the lineup and some speed on the basepaths.

My other option would be to bring up Erik Johnson. Have him take a couple starts. Maybe skip Rodon once in the rotation and skip Danks once or twice. If EJohnson does well, keep him in there for Danksie Cat. I'm not a big innings counter guy, and in the scheme of things, skipping on Rodon start isn't huge, but if are going to make a run, may be nice to get him a break in there.

good point, we as fans know that rodon has some kind of pitching restriction. between now and at the end of the season, rodon will need to skip an occasional start, so an option is needed for those time. let alone the danks pitching adventures.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)

Does that include his minor league innings?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
good point, we as fans know that rodon has some kind of pitching restriction. between now and at the end of the season, rodon will need to skip an occasional start, so an option is needed for those time. let alone the danks pitching adventures.

Not really. Rodon is on pace for roughly 160 IP. He pitched 123+ last year. They'll want to increase his workload some, and somewhere between 160-170 IP seems reasonable. If the Sox were to sneak in the playoffs, my guess is he'd be in the pen. They don't need to skip Rodon at all down the stretch, honestly.

They should DL Boni either way.

Erik Johnson (with Danks to long man), Kottaras or Micah would all be good choices.

Kottaras allows Soto to DH vs. LHP, and gives us a decent late inning PH. I like the Micah idea, but I have a hard time believing he will get DH starts against RHP over LaRoche, so I doubt we see Micah until September.

Nate Jones is another option, but I'd rather see a bat.

I like the idea of bringing up Kottaras. Light a fire under LaRoche by letting Soto DH some vs LHP. Plus, you don't really need another infielder to replace Bonifacio given that Saladino and Sanchez can both play 2B/SS/3B. Bonifacio's flexibility was more necessary back when Gillaspie and Johnson were on the roster.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
Does that include his minor league innings?

He threw just 10 innings in the minors and has thrown 77 through 13 starts and 16 games overall for an average of around 5 1/3 per start. He should have roughly 12 starts left. If he keeps that average the rest the season he would end up at 151. If you bump it up to 6 innings he would end up at 159.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
I like the idea of bringing up Kottaras. Light a fire under LaRoche by letting Soto DH some vs LHP. Plus, you don't really need another infielder to replace Bonifacio given that Saladino and Sanchez can both play 2B/SS/3B. Bonifacio's flexibility was more necessary back when Gillaspie and Johnson were on the roster.

Of course, they could let Soto DH some. He's our 2nd to best hitter.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
Not really. Rodon is on pace for roughly 160 IP. He pitched 123+ last year. They'll want to increase his workload some, and somewhere between 160-170 IP seems reasonable. If the Sox were to sneak in the playoffs, my guess is he'd be in the pen. They don't need to skip Rodon at all down the stretch, honestly.

you and others may very well be right. but we are fans...... we are not the pro's nor are we coop and his idea of how to handle the pitching staff.

many are making a big assumption. i rather error on the side of pitchers safety instead of overusing him. it doen't hurt to have another option in the rotation, for immediate use.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
Well I agree with you here. Pity, really. He's easily a top 100 prospect and just the kind the Sox will undervalue. Infield is showing promise, but still no sense that either Saladino or Sanchez are major league starter quality in the long term.

I could see another trade Chris Young keep Anderson situation

You're overvaluing him by a bit.

The only way he's top 100 is if he has a Billy Hamilton-esque ability to steal 75+ bags.

All signs as he has advanced to the AA/AAA level is that he's probably closer to a 30-45 type. The other problem is Hamilton was going to get a lot of his value defensively, but Micah's giving up a lot of WAR points so it has to be made up offensively, just like with Avi.