Masterson DFA by BOS

knightni

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Only reason really would be to help our place in the standings for a better draft pick.

I can't see Masterson wanting to come here, if he has a choice. Maybe at the start of 2016, but right now it doesn't really make sense. With us he has no chance at starting. It isn't often you can say "worse than Danks" and it be true...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
He's so good, he got DFA'd by the worst team in the AL.

Boston just has a worse record. The WSox have the worst run differential in the AL (second worst in MLB) and have less talent overall.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Boston just has a worse record. The WSox have the worst run differential in the AL (second worst in MLB) and have less talent overall.

Run differential is irrelevant. We have lost many games 10-1, 9-2, etc. Our wins tend to be more of the 5-2 variety. Our run differential is very skewed due to our blowout losses.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Run differential is irrelevant. We have lost many games 10-1, 9-2, etc. Our wins tend to be more of the 5-2 variety. Our run differential is very skewed due to our blowout losses.

Exactly. You can't have it both ways. If run differential says the Sox have the least talent in the league, then you shouldn't complain about the manager if they are winning more games than they "should".

If you're a run differential person, you should want to sign Robin to a lifetime contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
Exactly. You can't have it both ways. If run differential says the Sox have the least talent in the league, then you shouldn't complain about the manager if they are winning more games than they "should".

If you're a run differential person, you should want to sign Robin to a lifetime contract.

I haven't complained about the management. I'm saying that the roster is poor and Boston is a better franchise because they have more talent.

If you want to get technical, yes, Boston has the worst record in the AL right now.

If you want to look down the road from now to next year, the WSox (or Cle) are the worst team in the AL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)

I haven't seen a single person say anything about Robin in this thread

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
I would have taken Masterson at the beginning of the year as a reclamation project/ placeholder for Rodon but he has gotten worse in Boston so no thanks.

I would have brought him to camp on a minor league deal, or on a deal worth a million or two. When Boston signed him to $9.5 million deal, I lost interest.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
I would have brought him to camp on a minor league deal, or on a deal worth a million or two. When Boston signed him to $9.5 million deal, I lost interest.

There was a lot of interest in Masterson on this site in the past off season. Boston hands out some stupid contracts. A fool and his money are soon parted but there's just more for those fools to spend. Despite the bad year they will just spend their way back into contention getting some other dumb GM to take their baggage at half price.