Has the country (or the world) really gone this far off the rails?

Big Hurtin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:09 AM)
Oh the irony

You talk of rational people, and try to tell us that Rush Limbaugh is one of these rational people

You guys always want to maim the messenger so to speak. Sometimes Limbaugh and the NY columnists say things that are true you know?

But they also have an agenda...which is usually to claim that XYZ is falling apart or being taken away from them, and the answer inexorably is always Obama/Clinton/evil Democrats as the cause.

It's easier to demonize one's political opponents than it is to provide solutions.

It worked for most of the 80's and 90's for the Republicans in terms of presidential politics, and it was only in the face of huge demographics changes in the US that they're adapting (theoretically) and changing their approach.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:35 AM)
You guys always want to maim the messenger so to speak. Sometimes Limbaugh and the NY columnists say things that are true you know?

Please, dont try and play the martyr here greg. Continuously people argue with you with facts and proof, and you throw out conspiracy theories and the world is ending doom and gloom with nothing but "LOOK AT THIS HEADLINE OMG THE END OF CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT" retorts.

Limbaugh and NY Columnists deal in sensationalism, and you are their target.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
Guys, most rational people agree with me. America is not safe. America is less safe than 20 years ago. Cmon. Do you guys live in a bubble?

I give up. Time to move on to those who acknowledge reality. You are beyond repair.

Or an amazingly elaborate troll artist. Not sure which.

Jake Arrieta supposedly "demanded" a Wild Card game three weeks ago...ala Joe Namath, so maybe the world really is coming to an end.

Eddie Vedder's even hanging out in the Cubs' clubhouse already, with Steve Perry likely to be close behind. Bartman impersonators and Arr-i-ett-a/Cueto taunts backfiring.

All signs of the imminent Zombie Apocalypse.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
I give up. Time to move on to those who acknowledge reality. You are beyond repair.

Or an amazingly elaborate troll artist. Not sure which.

I'm kinda holding out hope this is some decade-long, pointless con.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
The world maybe. America? Safer than before? Cmon. You can make any stats fit any argument. America is a dangerous land.

No, not the world. The United States of America is safer today than it's ever been. There is no need to "make stats" to fit this argument, it's simply fact.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
Guys, most rational people agree with me. America is not safe. America is less safe than 20 years ago. Cmon. Do you guys live in a bubble?

No, it's you that lives in the bubble...America is WAY safer today than it was 20 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
No, not the world. The United States of America is safer today than it's ever been. There is no need to "make stats" to fit this argument, it's simply fact.

Yes, even the world.

Back in the day, a village in any part of the world, lived everyday with the threat of invading nomads who would try to pillage, rape and murder everyone. The lucky ones would be taken as slaves. Things like that don't happen anymore.

Greg is just a sad paranoid dude. :lol:

Or a GOAT troll

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
Yes, even the world.

Back in the day, a village in any part of the world, lived everyday with the threat of invading nomads who would try to pillage, rape and murder everyone. The lucky ones would be taken as slaves. Things like that don't happen anymore.

Greg is just a sad paranoid dude. :lol:

Or a GOAT troll

I didn't mean it that way...he was trying to say the world outside the US was safer in reply to my point, and I wasn't speaking about the rest of the world, I was speaking about the US, and he was wrong...to my point, the US is safer than it's ever been. When I said not the world, I was saying I'm not talking about the rest of the world, I'm talking about the US, and the US *IS* safer.

I have to imagine the world is safer as a whole. There is a very bad, destabilized region, but in the 70s almost all of central and south america was under brutal miltary juntas, khumar rouge was in cambodia, much of asia was dealing with civil wars.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gun-deat...article/2574770

Data from the FBI and Pew Research Center show that all gun violence has declined since the Clinton era, though suicides blamed on guns has ticked up. In a new report, Pew said that between 1993 and 2000, the firearm murder rate dropped by almost half, from seven homicides to 3.8 homicides per 100,000 people. It also said that all gun deaths -- murder, suicide, police and accidental -- have dropped 30 percent since 1993.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gun-deat...article/2574770

Data from the FBI and Pew Research Center show that all gun violence has declined since the Clinton era, though suicides blamed on guns has ticked up. In a new report, Pew said that between 1993 and 2000, the firearm murder rate dropped by almost half, from seven homicides to 3.8 homicides per 100,000 people. It also said that all gun deaths -- murder, suicide, police and accidental -- have dropped 30 percent since 1993.

Did they offer a reason why? Perhaps the gun legislation was working?

Five people stabbed on a California campus. Horrifying.

Not to be insensitive, but it was about time. Enough time had passed since the last atrocity. Tell your loved ones to be alert at all times. You never know when some nut is going to attack.

Five people stabbed on a California campus. Horrifying.

Not to be insensitive, but it was about time. Enough time had passed since the last atrocity. Tell your loved ones to be alert at all times. You never know when some nut is going to attack.

If only we had better knife control laws . . .