Brick oven pizza in Chicago or near suburbs

shipps

My buddy is opening up a brick oven pizza place within the next year or so (near the Cell). Lately he has been hitting up a lot of the ones in or near the Chicago area to check out the soon to be competition and find out what is good/not good.

I went with him to Sono on Clybourn and it was great. He said that it ranks up there with Cold Fire (His top rated so far). What are your recommendations? He will definitely try it and I will probably go with him. He doesn't want to leave any stone un-turned.

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
My buddy is opening up a brick oven pizza place within the next year or so (near the Cell). Lately he has been hitting up a lot of the ones in or near the Chicago area to check out the soon to be competition and find out what is good/not good.

I went with him to Sono on Clybourn and it was great. He said that it ranks up there with Cold Fire (His top rated so far). What are your recommendations? He will definitely try it and I will probably go with him. He doesn't want to leave any stone un-turned.

Ha!

How will he be powering that stone?

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)

Coalfire is my favorite. Pizzeria Da Nella on Fullerton can be really good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Coalfire is A1, no contest.

Forno Rossa is pretty good too.

My problem with a lot of these places is they are so scared of burning the crust, it winds up undercooked. Coalfire isn't afraid to cook the crust. You see them throwing out pies they overcooked all the time, but they won't undercook them.

I think that is the key to success. If shipps' buddy can master cooking the crust, I'm sure his topping will be of high quality, he should be a big hit.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
My problem with a lot of these places is they are so scared of burning the crust, it winds up undercooked. Coalfire isn't afraid to cook the crust. You see them throwing out pies they overcooked all the time, but they won't undercook them.

They always give me a perfect pie, its just amazing. I like to order the caesar salad, 2 pies (one for each of us) and a bottle of wine and its a glorious dinner.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
They always give me a perfect pie, its just amazing. I like to order the caesar salad, 2 pies (one for each of us) and a bottle of wine and its a glorious dinner.

The other thing I don't understand about it is it really isn't very big, but every time we go in there, despite the hype, we get seated right away. A salad to split, a couple of pies and Schlitz is how I go.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
The other thing I don't understand about it is it really isn't very big, but every time we go in there, despite the hype, we get seated right away. A salad to split, a couple of pies and Schlitz is how I go.

I havent been back since I moved and apparently its gotten more popular but I agree. I think I waited once or twice in many many years. They turn the tables over quickly and still you dont feel rushed. Love that place. Now I want it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)

I think that is the key to success. If shipps' buddy can master cooking the crust, I'm sure his topping will be of high quality, he should be a big hit.

To me the only way it is legit is if you get the char on the crust. I love to have a couple little black bubbles of crust. Gives great flavor.