David Robertson

Boopa1219

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 05:59 AM)
If the Sox decide to go through another rebuilding year, then they have no need for David Robertson. What do you think they could get for him, if he were to be traded?

oh boy............. i can see another thread of posters saying why is another thread is being made on a subject .. edit by ldf for being inappropriate to everyone.

but for your question. the value of the prospect / players are different and have different value.

1. do they trade him for players

2. do they trade him for prospects

3. or both

to many variables.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)
oh boy............. i can see another thread of posters saying why is another thread is being made on a subject .. blah blah...

but for your question. the value of the prospect / players are different and have different value.

1. do they trade him for players

2. do they trade him for prospects

3. or both

to many variables.

Or the sake of debate, I am going to say prospects? What if you got a deal similar to what the Padres got for Kimbrel? Should you trade him in the offseason or closer to the ASB?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 07:42 AM)
Or the sake of debate, I am going to say prospects? What if you got a deal similar to what the Padres got for Kimbrel? Should you trade him in the offseason or closer to the ASB?

that has always been the debate against me. esp since the trading deadline. this org is lacking prospects who can step in and be players in the majors. the team has a player step up and be counted or make it 2, but overall it is not enuf. the rebuild starts with a firesale to accumulate as many pieces to build from. i will trade establish players this yr for boat loads of prospects and still not call it a firesale. but i will get FA's to fill in the vacant spots. pipedreams.

again lacking that, the sox and the FO needs to have an influx of players. how will that be done..... thru FA's and having the owners go in the red for a season to get the foundation. then supplant that with smart trades....

so if trading Robertson is the way to go, then fine, but then the team needs to depend on Nate Jones and in necessary a fa like Joakim Soria for 8 mil. but here is the flip side, why would any team needs to trade for Robertson, when they could do the same thing, talk to Soria???

this team is screwed with the direction it needs to go with owners who may not want to go that extra mile. but they again, it is a fans fault for not buying season tickets, right??

ref the bold, which team needs a cl and who will pay the price??

btw, cincy may be trading Chapman, so where does that leave the sox???

I'm always in favor of trading relief pitchers. Position players and starting pitching is more valuable. I loved the premise of the Addison Reed trade, they just acquired a player that sucks. I don't think they have any interest in trading Robertson. They aren't "rebuilding". They just aren't going nuts in free agency. If I could get close to what San Diego just got, I'd move Robertson in a second though. Then I'd install Montas as closer. Then I'd spin him too as soon as he started getting expensive.

While I believe Robertson has value, I don't think it's as much as Kimbrel due to Kimbrel being a better closer. The Padres got some nice talent in return but one thing to remember is that Boston did not give up any of their best talent. I really don't know what to expect in a return for Robertson but I do know that I keep my expectations somewhat low.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
I've called for this for a while.

Trading Robertson allows Montas to step into a closer role and build his value. Jones can be the bridge if necessary, and that would also build his value.

It also saves money better spent elsewhere.

Let's see if Montas actually fails as a starter before we relegate him to closer. Even a solid fourth starter has more value than a closer.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
While I believe Robertson has value, I don't think it's as much as Kimbrel due to Kimbrel being a better closer. The Padres got some nice talent in return but one thing to remember is that Boston did not give up any of their best talent. I really don't know what to expect in a return for Robertson but I do know that I keep my expectations somewhat low.

Margot was their #3 prospect. Guerra is going to be really good in my opinion. People keep saying that those guys are blocked anyway which I do understand. It doesn't mean you should trade them for a guy that will give you 60 innings of value per year though. It's a bad trade.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 07:19 AM)
Let's see if Montas actually fails as a starter before we relegate him to closer. Even a solid fourth starter has more value than a closer.

Thank you. Sometimes it seems as if I'm the only one who thinks Montas should be given every chance to start. Those relegating him to closer or the bullpen at this point in his career are misguided. He isn't ready to either start or close in the majors yet as he has control and command issues . His upside is still a number 2 starter and that would be extremely valuable to the Sox.

The kid will be 23 in March . Give him a chance to reach his potential. He can always be converted to a reliever when he has proven that he can't start.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
Thank you. Sometimes it seems as if I'm the only one who thinks Montas should be given every chance to start. Those relegating him to closer or the bullpen at this point in his career are misguided. He isn't ready to either start or close in the majors yet as he has control and command issues . His upside is still a number 2 starter and that would be extremely valuable to the Sox.

The kid will be 23 in March . Give him a chance to reach his potential. He can always be converted to a reliever when he has proven that he can't start.

I am with you. He has barely made a mark in AA, let alone MLB. With an arm like that you give him every chance to start, as the bullpen is always there. If we were a title contending team, maybe then you use him in the pen, but where the Sox are now, there is no good reason for it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 07:38 AM)
I know the team doesn't seem to be hurting for money, but I still think they should have just let the Yankees have him when they claimed him off waivers.

I guess you're talking about Robertson. Do you really think the Sox couldn't get anything but salary relief for him after what Kimbrel got ?

I know Robertson isn't as young or as good as Kimbrel but he is still worth a prospect, maybe even a good one.

I think the trade market for relief pitchers will be strong this winter and if the Sox decide to move him they should get something back and shouldn't have to pay any of his salary unless they want to upgrade who they get back. He has a history of being a consistently strong closer. His salary should not be any kind of issue for teams looking for a reliable closer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
I am with you. He has barely made a mark in AA, let alone MLB. With an arm like that you give him every chance to start, as the bullpen is always there. If we were a title contending team, maybe then you use him in the pen, but where the Sox are now, there is no good reason for it.

i hope you don't mind me interjecting, but the sox doesn't have anything else to trade from. and the team need pieces.

The problem with trading Robertson is the Sox have no true closer. If the Sox want to compete this year they will need one. Yes you can try to slide Jones in but you don't know if he has the mentality to do it. Montas is a guy who just got some big league innings this year but definitely probably needs more development. We also learned what it was like not having a true closer in 2014 and trying to get by with what they had.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)

Couldn't agree more. Montas was frustrating to watch at times but as its already been said, he's only 22 so there's no reason to doubt his potential. SOX fans need to be patient. I've had doubts myself but then I look at video of his stuff and realize there's still huge upside in Montas. Just my opinion but I think Montas has more upside than Fulmer and would prefer the Sox traded Fulmer instead of Montas, if one of them is to be traded that is.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
Margot was their #3 prospect. Guerra is going to be really good in my opinion. People keep saying that those guys are blocked anyway which I do understand. It doesn't mean you should trade them for a guy that will give you 60 innings of value per year though. It's a bad trade.

My bad, didn't realize Margot was rated that high. On paper it does look like a bad trade but I'll wait on actually saying it is a bad trade until those prospects develop into something or flop.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)

It seems every pitcher we have in the system is being tagged as only a relief pitcher. Maybe we can go into the season with 12 or 14 relievers on the roster. I agree let's give our prospects the chance to start and Montas deserves that chance

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
It seems every pitcher we have in the system is being tagged as only a relief pitcher. Maybe we can go into the season with 12 or 14 relievers on the roster. I agree let's give our prospects the chance to start and Montas deserves that chance

it is not that, what it is, is the team will need to force the issue, rush the prospects and or trade for pieces to start sooner.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
I guess you're talking about Robertson. Do you really think the Sox couldn't get anything but salary relief for him after what Kimbrel got ?

I know Robertson isn't as young or as good as Kimbrel but he is still worth a prospect, maybe even a good one.

I think the trade market for relief pitchers will be strong this winter and if the Sox decide to move him they should get something back and shouldn't have to pay any of his salary unless they want to upgrade who they get back. He has a history of being a consistently strong closer. His salary should not be any kind of issue for teams looking for a reliable closer.

I'll be honest, I didn't realize Kimbrel made as much money as he did. My concern was that Robertson's contract was untradeable, but maybe it's more feasible seeing Kimbrel's salary.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
Couldn't agree more. Montas was frustrating to watch at times but as its already been said, he's only 22 so there's no reason to doubt his potential. SOX fans need to be patient. I've had doubts myself but then I look at video of his stuff and realize there's still huge upside in Montas. Just my opinion but I think Montas has more upside than Fulmer and would prefer the Sox traded Fulmer instead of Montas, if one of them is to be traded that is.

My bad, didn't realize Margot was rated that high. On paper it does look like a bad trade but I'll wait on actually saying it is a bad trade until those prospects develop into something or flop.

I won't because what the prospects do is irrelevant. I think it's bad because they could have used those same prospects to get someone more valuable. I think Fulmer has a better chance at being a starting pitcher than Montas does so I disagree there as well.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
If the Sox decide to go through another rebuilding year, then they have no need for David Robertson. What do you think they could get for him, if he were to be traded?

I don't believe the White Sox think they are rebuilding; I think they see themselves as positioned for an upward movement in standings if they can reverse some of their trouble positions where they got next to no production all season at 3-4 different spots.

If they were to move Robertson, I'm sure they sell it as still trying to win while improving the future, but I think it's tough to move proven veterans and open up another hole, all while trying to win, even if they do trust a guy like Nate Jones to inherit the role that Robertson would have had.

The consensus that I've heard (and maybe others have heard the same or different) is that Boston gave up too much for a closer, a guy who pitches around 70 IP a season so I doubt they would be overwhelmed.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
I won't because what the prospects do is irrelevant. I think it's bad because they could have used those same prospects to get someone more valuable. I think Fulmer has a better chance at being a starting pitcher than Montas does so I disagree there as well.

Boston still prospects and MLB talent to trade for pitching and they have money to sign pitching so its really not a big deal using those prospects to help the back end of their pen.

Fulmer has his small size and an extremely high effort delivery just to throw mid 90's whereas Montas has the big durable size and throws upper 90's with relative ease. However, both pitchers need to do a better job of controlling the strike zone and commanding their pitches. If I had to get on which sticks as a starter, it would be Montas. Montas is still very raw and young. 22 is way too early to give up on a pitcher like him.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
Boston still prospects and MLB talent to trade for pitching and they have money to sign pitching so its really not a big deal using those prospects to help the back end of their pen.

Fulmer has his small size and an extremely high effort delivery just to throw mid 90's whereas Montas has the big durable size and throws upper 90's with relative ease. However, both pitchers need to do a better job of controlling the strike zone and commanding their pitches. If I had to get on which sticks as a starter, it would be Montas. Montas is still very raw and young. 22 is way too early to give up on a pitcher like him.

your analysis goes to prove that the sox prospects are at least 1 to 2 yrs away. so i wonder what the FO has in store to improve this ball club.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)

Between Fulmer and Montas I would say Fulmer has a higher floor and a lower ceiling. I think Fulmer will be on a major league roster doing something for a long time, even if it is relieving, though I think he will start. Montas still has enough growth left to achieve, you can see him being a wash out if he can't get his control/repeatability and health to stay consistently. But if Montas could put it all together, he could be a top end starter, or a premier closer at his ceiling. I don't see that for Fulmer.