Cubs sign John Lackey

Sockin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know. My initial impression of Lackey signing anywhere throughout his career I always think to myself... damn that was a mistake. But he has proven to be an impactful SP and presence plenty of seasons along the way including last year. He isnt a power pitcher so its not like with his age there is going to be a sure drop off.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
This makes me happy as a Cubs hater

Well said.

Honestly, their rotation next year will be pretty meh if they don't pick up anyone else.

There's no chance that Arrieta will be as dominant as he was in 2015, Lester is aging fast, as is Lackey, and Hammel and Hendricks have never been that good.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 10:34 PM)
Well said.

Honestly, their rotation next year will be pretty meh next year if they don't pick up anyone else.

There's no chance that Arrieta will be as dominant as he was in 2015, Lester is aging fast, as is Lackey, and Hammel and Hendricks have never been that good.

They're going to end up trading Soler for someone like Shelby Miller also

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 10:35 PM)
The Cubs may very well add a number 2-3 SP via a trade as well. Which will make this signing look even better.

Paying 16 million dollars and giving up a draft pick for a #4 seems excessive, especially given how much Lackey benefited from pitching at home last year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
The Cubs may very well add a number 2-3 SP via a trade as well. Which will make this signing look even better.

Agree. I think they go into Spring Training with one of: Ross, Salazar, Miller or Carrasco who are good still young right handed starters.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
David KaplanVerified account

‏@thekapman

That lines up with what my source told me earlier this afternoon that Lackey wanted to be here with Lester, Ross and Theo.

Amazing how the media kisses Theo's ass

LOL at Ross. David Ross: The Free Agent Whisperer

Oh, Kaplan, you amazin' ball-licker.