Rockies outfielders in trade talks

Whisox05

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The split stats of Rockies hitters scare a lot of us, for good reason. I worry enough about N.L. hitters, let alone guys who play at an elevation of one mile. When a guy hits .100 points higher in AVG and OBP at home, you have to be skeptical about what he would really contribute in the A.L.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
Wouldn't mind a trade for one of Blackmon/Dickerson and sign Jackson. Eaton in LF, Jackson in CF, Blackmon/Dickerson in RF, Melky at DH, LaRoche as a bench bat and trade Avi for whatever a team is willing to give.

The issues is the sox don't want to give up the talent that the Rockies are wanting for cargo do you honestly think they will for blackmon or dickerson. Those 2 can easily be looking at one of the top sox prespects in return. Sox haven't been reluctant to trade the top prospects up until now can't seem them changing that. Thats why Cespedes looks alot better for them.

Here are CarGo's numbers vs. the A.L. last year, in 73 at bats:

.233 .278 .479 .758

Of course, it's an awfully small sample size. Nevertheless, pretty awful!!

His career numbers vs. the A.L. are very good, so that is encouraging.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
The issues is the sox don't want to give up the talent that the Rockies are wanting for cargo do you honestly think they will for blackmon or dickerson. Those 2 can easily be looking at one of the top sox prespects in return. Sox haven't been reluctant to trade the top prospects up until now can't seem them changing that. Thats why Cespedes looks alot better for them.

While Dickerson and Blackmon are valuable, they still don't hold as much value as CarGo so the price should be lower on Dickerson and Blackmon. How much lower is the question and I honestly do not have the answer, none of us do unless a rumor leaks to give us some indication.

IMHO, Cespedes 20M+ expected annual salary was never very realistic without the Sox moving salary first. I never did believe JR would raise the payroll from 118M in '15 to 140M+ in '16. Sorry, but Cespedes has been nothing but a pipe dream the whole time and its time for the Sox and fans to turn their attention another direction.

Cargo's injury history, home/road splits, going from NL to AL and contract all work against him.

If the Rockies are rebuilding, keeping Cargo makes much less sense compared to the other two unless they really believe he gives that much of an attendance/marketing bump as a franchise icon.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
While Dickerson and Blackmon are valuable, they still don't hold as much value as CarGo so the price should be lower on Dickerson and Blackmon. How much lower is the question and I honestly do not have the answer, none of us do unless a rumor leaks to give us some indication.

IMHO, Cespedes 20M+ expected annual salary was never very realistic without the Sox moving salary first. I never did believe JR would raise the payroll from 118M in '15 to 140M+ in '16. Sorry, but Cespedes has been nothing but a pipe dream the whole time and its time for the Sox and fans to turn their attention another direction.

Yes we may think they don't have as much value but it's up to the Rockies who they decide how much value they have. If they are wanting Quintana in return for cargo I'm sure they are wanting a good amount for the other 2. Don't think the Sox will pay that value for any of them so see if another team does. Cespedes I don't believe is a not realistic option. If that's the case then why haven't the Sox moved on and gotten a second tier outfielder then. Seems there isn't a huge market for him and it's playing into the Sox hands. Remember it's been said that Jerry is one of the biggest aggressive people in the Sox front office and he's wants to win.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:41 PM)
Yes we may think they don't have as much value but it's up to the Rockies who they decide how much value they have. If they are wanting Quintana in return for cargo I'm sure they are wanting a good amount for the other 2. Don't think the Sox will pay that value for any of them so see if another team does. Cespedes I don't believe is a not realistic option. If that's the case then why haven't the Sox moved on and gotten a second tier outfielder then. Seems there isn't a huge market for him and it's playing into the Sox hands. Remember it's been said that Jerry is one of the biggest aggressive people in the Sox front office and he's wants to win.

No doubt the Rockies will decide who is the most valuable, in their eyes. IMO, CarGo has the most value followed by Blackmon then Dickerson.

I kind of wonder if the Rockies would have interest in EJ. Bare with me for a moment. EJ +Jordon Guerrero for Blackmon. Blackmon becomes the new RF. Instead of spending 20M+ on Cespedes, the Sox sign Austin Jackson to play CF and look at signing Latos or Fister to a one year deal to replace EJ in the rotation. Spread the money out to cover a few more holes, so to speak. IIRC, an idea along these lines was mentioned by a SoxTalk member yesterday or the day before.

I have no clue if the Rockies would actually be interested in EJ, just throwing it out there is all. EJ is young and cost controlled so he could be a fit for what the Rockies are looking for.

Problem for #Angels in potential Blackmon trade is that they likely would need to give up major-league pitching; difficult for them to do.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/687060841980669953

#Angels’ farm system was depleted even before they made trade for Simmons. #Rockies likely would see little value in their prospects.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/687061231581196295

The only problem with that theory is:

1) Desmond's probably going to be close to $15 million, and Latos $10-12 million, so you're already well over what you were willing to pay Cespedes/Upton

2) Latos difficult personality/chemistry issues

3) Blackmon has reached salary arbitration, so you're adding even more salary compared to what's going out

So the real question is whether JR would possibly okay a 25% payroll increase coming off last season's debacle.

Desmond less than a year ago turned down a $107 million contract extension, btw.

Edited by caulfield12

I finally found one of the articles about the Rockies' hitters road splits. I'm not saying that you should ignore the difference, but there has been a noticeable difference for players first adjusting from Coors Field to another stadium. It has also been separately been proven for road teams leaving Coors Field, though I can't find that now. It takes time to adjust from the thin air to regular air. That's why you can't take CarGo/Blackmon's road splits in a vacuum, their road splits don't equal what they would hit full time in a different park.

http://www.purplerow.com/2014/5/15/5712224...mbers-are-lying

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:25 PM)
The only problem with that theory is:

1) Desmond's probably going to be close to $15 million, and Latos $10-12 million, so you're already well over what you were willing to pay Cespedes/Upton

2) Latos difficult personality/chemistry issues

3) Blackmon has reached salary arbitration, so you're adding even more salary compared to what's going out

So the real question is whether JR would possibly okay a 25% payroll increase coming off last season's debacle.

Desmond less than a year ago turned down a $107 million contract extension, btw.

Latos isn't going to get more than 6-8 mil after last season

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:28 AM)
Latos isn't going to get more than 6-8 mil after last season

Will believe it when I see it.

His velocity and performance picked up the second half last year...plus no draft pick.

He'll grt at least $10-12 million for one year if Ian Kennedy can get $70.