Al-Jazeera links Ryan Howard, Ryan Zimmerman to banned PEDs

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
interesting thing there. i have no medical background, but since my godson got hurt and was in the ucla medical center for a possible link of that, i been reading. i know, i am nothing but a snoop. but i think from a lame man term it also has a little thing to a control violence.... very much like what is called conditioning.

this was done with animals to be conditions for violence.... but what ever happen to those creatures after the treatment / experiment was done?? how was the creature in later life???

an unknown element was talked about with the great joe lewis, but no one was able to distinguish it or call it or just said he broke down....

this is me and my disclaimer is i do not know crap.

Boxing is a totally different scenario. They get hit with no protection. It has improved with mandatory headgear in amatuer bouts.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)
Boxing is a totally different scenario. They get hit with no protection. It has improved with mandatory headgear in amatuer bouts.

and you may be perfectly correct here. i have no medical background.

i think the concussion and symptoms are totally new... cte was found in 2002... and new medical ideas are prob coming from that, like PTSD and maybe its connection to CTE.....

again i am just guilty of reading too much and thinking.

so offense.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)

but not in pro fights, how bout pro wrestling and now in the world of the ufc.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
excellent.... most excellent.

careless journalistic b/s....

There's nothing new in that cbs article. Sly has denied all along. He's also not the guy Al Jazeera is using as its source so that is misleading. They're pinning it on him, but he's not the source. The source is Liam Collis.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
There's nothing new in that cbs article. Sly has denied all along. He's also not the guy Al Jazeera is using as its source so that is misleading. They're pinning it on him, but he's not the source. The source is Liam Collis.

then i jumped in b/c i was being a little gunho on b/c stories without any support.

this is on me.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
Not sure what to believe when it comes to PEDs, but I hope with the CBA expiring next December they get even tougher with penalties. First offense, one year. Second offense, lifetime ban.

Until they change the testing requirements, it really won't matter. I'm sure there are many players taking untestable PEDs. Unless someone rats them out, no one will know.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
Until they change the testing requirements, it really won't matter. I'm sure there are many players taking untestable PEDs. Unless someone rats them out, no one will know.

What additional things does MLB need to test for? Did they not start the blood testing/tracking a couple years ago that was the olympic standard?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
What additional things does MLB need to test for? Did they not start the blood testing/tracking a couple years ago that was the olympic standard?

I didn't think that they started the blood baseline testing. I thought they just added blood testing for HGH. If they did add the blood baseline testing, then that's all they can do at this point with the current technology. If they just added the blood testing for HGH, they are still testing for specific PEDs and can get fooled by new designer PEDs they do know to look for.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
I didn't think that they started the blood baseline testing. I thought they just added blood testing for HGH. If they did add the blood baseline testing, then that's all they can do at this point with the current technology. If they just added the blood testing for HGH, they are still testing for specific PEDs and can get fooled by new designer PEDs they do know to look for.

This is what I got with a quick googling and this is all I know about that you're able to do; baseline testing plus isotopic measurements. If you know of another technique or you know how a setup could fool the IRMS measurement I'd be interested to hear it.

In addition, beginning in the 2013 season, the parties have authorized the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited Montreal Laboratory to establish a longitudinal profile program, in which a player's baseline testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio and other data will be maintained by the laboratory, with strict protections for confidentiality, in order to enhance its ability to detect the use of testosterone and other prohibited substances. The laboratory will automatically conduct Carbon Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry (IRMS) analysis on all specimens that vary materially from a player's baseline values. The laboratory also will increase the number of random IRMS analysis it conducts on specimens. The longitudinal program being implemented by the parties will be one of the most significant programs of its kind in the world.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
This is what I got with a quick googling and this is all I know about that you're able to do; baseline testing plus isotopic measurements. If you know of another technique or you know how a setup could fool the IRMS measurement I'd be interested to hear it.

Excellent. I didn't think they were doing it. This is really all they can do at this point.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
ptatc , do you know if the test is random or not??

From the post by Balta earlier, it looks like they do a baseline test at the beginning of every year and then random tests during the year. If they find something abnormal they do more extensive testing.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 12:34 AM)
From the post by Balta earlier, it looks like they do a baseline test at the beginning of every year and then random tests during the year. If they find something abnormal they do more extensive testing.

so it appears that this baseline is a blood test for everyone.... i am not too sure if that is what it means.

edit.... btw, many thanks for answering.

Edited by LDF

Basically, it's to establish a "normal" reading for anyone that takes the test.

If, when they are re-tested again at some random point in the future, there are those baseline numbers to compare to, and any extreme divergences from those numbers should be much carefully examined through a battery of further more detailed testing designed to determine causation.

At least that's my understanding, fwiw.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 06:41 AM)
Basically, it's to establish a "normal" reading for anyone that takes the test.

If, when they are re-tested again at some random point in the future, there are those baseline numbers to compare to, and any extreme divergences from those numbers should be much carefully examined through a battery of further more detailed testing designed to determine causation.

At least that's my understanding, fwiw.

many thanks.