2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
Re: college tuition. Looks like that proposal could go two ways. Handling things like Fannie Mae/Mac or handle things like Medicaid. I like the idea of wielding around this group of students like a bargaining chip to prevent costs rising too high.

I really would like a bipartisan coalition though with this. Free tuition is going to require iteration on seeing the unknown effects and handling them (as does a major bill like health care), and that will be difficult to do if one party is just going to openly sabotage it.

Plus, depending on the model, it's going to be a challenge to make it work equally across all 50 states. Directional North Dakota U is a heck of a lot cheaper than PSU, so how do you handle that sort of discrepancy?

The little talk I've heard of the plan is something like "free tuition for households making up to $125k." I wonder if that proposal is a hard cut-off at $125k or if it'd phase out. I'm assuming it'd phase out, but that'd still be interesting to see.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Trump is obsessed with nuclear weapons and wants to know why they shouldn't be used. Badly.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/201...carborough.html

I'm not really inclined to think of Scarborough as a credible source especially considering "several months ago" he and his show were actively showing favoritism to Trump's campaign, and he is citing an anonymous secondhand source, but this is totally consistent with something Trump would do.

Betsy Woodruff @woodruffbets

Trump told Loudoun County (in N. Va) its economy is terrible, citing the closure of a factory in North Carolina http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016...rong-place.html

6:32 AM - 3 Aug 2016

Loudoun County is actually the wealthiest county in the entire country.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Loudoun County is actually the wealthiest county in the entire country.

I had that thought halfway through reading the sentence. The economy here is not based on factories and s*** anyway. This isn't Ohio or Pennsylvania.

Edited by Ezio Auditore

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
This has to be on purpose.

Probably not. His campaign is just this unprofessional, understaffed and incompetent and lead by a man who thinks he needs no advice and doesn't take it when offered.

Though you do have to ask how what Trump's doing would look different from someone deliberating trying to sabotage the GOP.

“You have a Kelly Ayotte, who doesn’t want to talk about Trump, but I’m beating her in the polls by a lot. You tell me. Are these people that should be representing us, okay? You tell me.”

Kelly Ayotte is a Republican running in NH who won't endorse Trump. Trump is not running against her, and her poll numbers in her race are higher than Trump's in his. He's getting smashed so badly in his own race that he's left still bragging about his primary wins and about races he's not actually running in.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
Plus, depending on the model, it's going to be a challenge to make it work equally across all 50 states. Directional North Dakota U is a heck of a lot cheaper than PSU, so how do you handle that sort of discrepancy?

The little talk I've heard of the plan is something like "free tuition for households making up to $125k." I wonder if that proposal is a hard cut-off at $125k or if it'd phase out. I'm assuming it'd phase out, but that'd still be interesting to see.

Well we are capable of doing that with hospitals. I actually don't think it will be that hard but will be fairly unforgiving so I'm sure there will be grumblings from higher ed.

125k is a nice cut off, will be good to see a gov't program that cuts across wide swath. Easier to get more cross aisle buy in.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
Well we are capable of doing that with hospitals. I actually don't think it will be that hard but will be fairly unforgiving so I'm sure there will be grumblings from higher ed.

125k is a nice cut off, will be good to see a gov't program that cuts across wide swath. Easier to get more cross aisle buy in.

As a hard cut-off though? If I were making 125.01K household income, I'd be begging my bosses for a paycut for at least those four years.

A couple of Tea Party people, the Lt. Governor and a current US Rep, lost their primaries in Missouri last night to candidates to their left. It'll be interesting to see how GOP leaders react if they stop having to fear facing a crazy right-wing insurgency in every district.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
As a hard cut-off though? If I were making 125.01K household income, I'd be begging my bosses for a paycut for at least those four years.

No. Cut-off is least of worries. It's easy to find phase out points.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
A couple of Tea Party people, the Lt. Governor and a current US Rep, lost their primaries in Missouri last night to candidates to their left. It'll be interesting to see how GOP leaders react if they stop having to fear facing a crazy right-wing insurgency in every district.

Huelskamp went down in Kansas. That's great news, it's like losing someone like Gohmert.

I remember he had a pretty spectacular meltdown on Maddow's show after the State of the Union one night where he embarrassed himself pretty bad (if feeling embarrassment was possible for him).

Although he got replaced by a Trump supporter soooooo

Edited by Ezio Auditore

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
I just don't see how he'll even last until November. This is wackiness. 3 more months.

To that end... http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-elect...8-hours-n622216

Key Republicans close to Donald Trump's orbit are plotting an intervention with the candidate after a disastrous 48 hours led some influential voices in the party to question whether Trump can stay at the top of the Republican ticket without catastrophic consequences for his campaign and the GOP at large.

Republican National Committee head Reince Priebus, former Republican New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich are among the Trump endorsers hoping to talk the real estate mogul into a dramatic reset of his campaign in the coming days, sources tell NBC News.

The idea of an intervention is in its early stages, and there's no guarantee that Trump's team would entertain a conversation requiring such comprehensive changes for a candidate who has resisted calls to moderate his tone or reel in his most outlandish political positions.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
Huelskamp went down in Kansas. That's great news, it's like losing someone like Gohmert.

I remember he had a pretty spectacular meltdown on Maddow's show after the State of the Union one night where he embarrassed himself pretty bad (if feeling embarrassment was possible for him).

Although he got replaced by a Trump supporter soooooo

Some additional info:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-go...le93406217.html

The "Brownback revolution" aka "how quickly and thoroughly can I burn a state to the ground" is being rejected.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
Hillary Clinton accepts 25 million dollar donation from George Soros, the same day she pledges to get the money out of politics. Soxtalk will defend this.

Trump raised ~$80M in July, which is actually a solid number. I know you claimed that him getting money out of politics was a big reason you supported him.

Reince Priebus @Reince

At time when US is newly concerned about terrorist attacks, we can't afford such unprincipled & out-of-touch leadership on world stage

10:23 AM - 3 Aug 2016

I can only assume Priebus means Trump here, right?

we now have confirmation that Trump does, in fact, have tiny little baby hands. I'm 6'3", his hands are a full 1 1/4" shorter than mine, I would look ridiculous with hands that small.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
He didn't thread his tweets unfortunately so you have to read this bottom to top.

I have to imagine the likely outcome of that scenario is that it invokes a constitutional crisis when the military refuses to carry out his insane orders.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)
Truthfully he probably doesn't care if he wins. If he loses, he can shrug it off and just say it was rigged. If he wins, quite frankly the job has got to be a major hassle. It doesn't even pay that well, compared to what he's used to. His ego is safe either way cause again, he can just say our system is rigged and it was fixed for Hillary and he goes on more famous than ever. He has the perfect out: the system is rigged.

This is probably 100% true.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
As others have said, I just don't see how this gets to November. It's getting worse every day.

When there isn't a Simpsons .gif, there's a Futurama one!

My daily reaction to Trump's insanity

giphy.gif

Realistically, there's no way Trump's ego would let him be a loser quitter, and there's not really much the GOP can do at this point to force him out. I think there only choices are to try to back him as much as possible and pray that he finally pivots, or essentially abandon the Presidency and attempt to salvage what they can in the downticket races.

An unlikely tag-team of first Trump and then Obama have really put the Republican leadership in a bind, though. Obama's called on them to denounce and unendorse Trump thanks to his dangerous, hateful, unhinged rhetoric, but they've stuck by him for months despite having to disavow lots of specific things he's said/done. If they try to pull the plug on him now, it looks like they're doing it in response to Trump not endorsing fellow GOP leaders and not over his crazy stuff, so they look pretty craven. They've maneuvered themselves into a horrible position, and John Boehner has to be the happiest man alive right now.

Edited by StrangeSox

Conservatives trying to make the "OMG Iran secret $400M airlift!" a thing just look sad. This has been a part of the Iran deal from the start, it's actually their money that we've been holding since 1979, and the NYT reported on this back in January. The GOP can't help but overreach to try to distract from their own dumpster fire.