2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Romney may be a hypocrite, but at least I knew he took the act of governing the nation seriously. As bad as I think the Cruz and Rubio presidencies will be, I at least know they take the act of governing the nation seriously.

I can't say that for Trump. He wouldn't be favored to win a presidency but it is just way too high of a probability that he can become president.

It's pretty scary, and I felt somewhat relieved at the actual soul searching a number of conservative pundits and thinkers have done since Tuesday. But it isn't enough. But the cat is out of the bag now. We as a nation, know how prone we still are to a demagogue.

I'm not sure we can assume that Cruz would take the act of governing very seriously. His actions in the Senate seem to indicate the opposite.

edit: though I guess in the end I'd probably agree that Trump would be much more likely to provoke a major international incident or a constitutional crisis than Cruz

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
Is David Duke really that different from Robert Byrd? Former Klansmen who claimed they werent affiliated with the KKK in decades, both got into politics after being in the KKK.

http://www.snopes.com/clinton-byrd-photo-klan/

Yes, he is different, as Byrd didn't continue his life committed to white supremacy politics.

Are people serious with this? Do you really want to downplay David Duke?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
It was inevitable that "but Byrd!" would make an appearance.

Yes, David Duke really is different from post-KKK Robert Byrd as your own link makes pretty clear. The attempted downplaying of the KKK and David Duke is pretty disgusting.

Well if you find anyone who is downplaying that let me know.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Yea agreed.

Trump isn't good enough to be that "clever" and specific.

Trump is leading the Republican primary by being exactly that clever.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Well if you find anyone who is downplaying that let me know.

first post, this page:

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
Is David Duke really that different from Robert Byrd?

Republican thread:

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)
Does the kkk exist outside of being a media boogeyman? I mean they do, but when is the last time they've been relevant outside of that? There's been a couple incidents here and there I'm sure, but seriously they are the niche of the absolute niche locked in the backwoods of absolutely nowhere and I cannot grasp so much time is wasted on them.

GOP Presidential frontrunner acting as if he doesn't know who David Duke is and that he'd have to "look into" white supremacist groups before distancing himself from them.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
lol "I'm just askin questions here!"

I think both Duke and Byrd are/were assholes so not sure why you guys are trying to make it sound like Im defending them. My point is that if theyre going to spend hours upon hours blasting Trump for taking too long to condemn a former clansmen , which he has already done in the past, then why isnt it fair game to mention Hillarys relationship wth Byrd?

I personally dont think either situation is a big deal but simply asking the question is not defending anyone, which Im sure you know.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
first post, this page:

Republican thread:

GOP Presidential frontrunner acting as if he doesn't know who David Duke is and that he'd have to "look into" white supremacist groups before distancing himself from them.

Yes. The KKK should not be given the media attention they get. They need to go away and what extremely little relevance they have is tied to media headlines. They exist in the backwoods of backwoods states.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
I think both Duke and Byrd are/were assholes so not sure why you guys are trying to make it sound like Im defending them. My point is that if theyre going to spend hours upon hours blasting Trump for taking too long to condemn a former clansmen , which he has already done in the past, then why isnt it fair game to mention Hillarys relationship wth Byrd?

I personally dont think either situation is a big deal but simply asking the question is not defending anyone, which Im sure you know.

One of those two people strongly repudiated their past and is dead, the other is still a vocal white supremacist and supports Donald Trump. Your own link explains this very clearly, and by trying to make the comparison you are downplaying David Duke.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Yes. The KKK should not be given the media attention they get. They need to go away and what extremely little relevance they have is tied to media headlines. They exist in the backwoods of backwoods states.

White nationalism is driving the current GOP front-runner. David Duke is still a voice for this movement, and it's larger than just the KKK.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
first post, this page:

Republican thread:

Im honestly not trying to get into a snarky debate about this. If you want to paint me as something Im not on the internet go ahead. Admittedly I probably should have done more research about Byrd beyond him formerly being in the KKK. I was genuinely curious why it wasnt brought up since it seemed like a reasonable comparison.

I dont appreciate my words being twisted to try to make it sound like I was defending either of those guys and especially not the KKK. It was clearly a shot at Hillary and not in defense of anyone.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Im honestly not trying to get into a snarky debate about this. If you want to paint me as something Im not on the internet go ahead. Admittedly I probably should have done more research about Byrd beyond him formerly being in the KKK. I was genuinely curious why it wasnt brought up since it seemed like a reasonable comparison.

I'm sorry, but read your own f***ing link next time before JAQing off. It made it very, very clear why that comparison was a dumb one to make.

I dont appreciate my words being twisted to try to make it sound like I was defending either of those guys and especially not the KKK. It was clearly a shot at Hillary and not in defense of anyone.

Your words aren't being twisted. You're attempting to downplay how terrible modern and active white supremacists are by "just asking questions" that your own links tell you are dumb questions. The only way to make it a shot at Hillary is to downplay just how awful of a human being David Duke is in the year 2016 by trying to compare him to 2000's-era Robert Byrd.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
I'm sorry, but read your own f***ing link next time before JAQing off. It made it very, very clear why that comparison was a dumb one to make.

Your words aren't being twisted. You're attempting to downplay how terrible modern and active white supremacists are by "just asking questions" that your own links tell you are dumb questions. The only way to make it a shot at Hillary is to downplay just how awful of a human being David Duke is in the year 2016 by trying to compare him to 2000's-era Robert Byrd.

No, I incorrectly thought Byrd was as bad as Duke. I think theyre both pieces of s***. Also, I generally try not to post personal things on message boards but as a Jewish man I have many many reasons for thinking the KKK is just about the most reprehensible groups of people on the planet, I just never thought Id need to explain it.

Well, like I said, next time read your own link. David Duke is an active white supremacist, holocaust denier and Trump supporter. Robert Byrd was in the KKK 70 years ago, repudiated that past, and was an advocate for civil rights for decades afterwards. Both things are clearly stated.

Dragging out Byrd's corpse as an attempted "gotcha!" on Clinton is in effect downplaying what David Duke stands for and what the white supremacist support for Donald Trump indicates. It doesn't mean that you're trying to defend those peoples' actual views, but you're attempting to deflect criticism away from those points of view and the people who support them. Byrd's membership in the KKK in the 1940's gets brought up frequently as a shield from criticism for modern-day racist policies and ideologies.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
Regardless of this silly Byrd vs Duke thing, I agree with the this. And that comes from someone who despises Trump.

It's not like it's an iron-clad argument or anything, but Trump has shown that he's masterful at messaging and playing the media.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
It's not like it's an iron-clad argument or anything, but Trump has shown that he's masterful at messaging and playing the media.

Of all the horrible things one can concern themselves with that Trump has done - and there are plenty - this one doesn't even rate. It's silly.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Well, like I said, next time read your own link. David Duke is an active white supremacist, holocaust denier and Trump supporter. Robert Byrd was in the KKK 70 years ago, repudiated that past, and was an advocate for civil rights for decades afterwards. Both things are clearly stated.

Dragging out Byrd's corpse as an attempted "gotcha!" on Clinton is in effect downplaying what David Duke stands for and what the white supremacist support for Donald Trump indicates. It doesn't mean that you're trying to defend those peoples' actual views, but you're attempting to deflect criticism away from those points of view and the people who support them. Byrd's membership in the KKK in the 1940's gets brought up frequently as a shield from criticism for modern-day racist policies and ideologies.

Nothing I said was meant to downplay Duke. I was using Duke as the bench mark for being a piece of s*** and as I said tried lumping Byrd in with him and then admitted I was wrong about Byrd. That doesnt change anything about Duke though. I never said or implied that Duke wasnt so bad because of Byrd did I?