**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 08:13 PM)
Brian, what's wrong with Passengers? I'm guessing it doesn't have anything to do with Jennifer Lawrence speaking out after the election? Bad early reviews?

Yeah. It's getting ripped pretty bad by critics and on twitter.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched the trailer for the new Alien movie. That looks... terrible.

Seriously, if you are going to make a sequel to any movie, unless the immediate predecessor is really good (in which case you can maybe follow suit), you need to bring something new to the table. This movie looks like:

A. Re-use script from first Alien movie

B. Amplify horror aspects

C. Dial up production values

D. Profit!!!

Laziness.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Watched the trailer for the new Alien movie. That looks... terrible.

Seriously, if you are going to make a sequel to any movie, unless the immediate predecessor is really good (in which case you can maybe follow suit), you need to bring something new to the table. This movie looks like:

A. Re-use script from first Alien movie

B. Amplify horror aspects

C. Dial up production values

D. Profit!!!

Laziness.

Ridley Scott stubbornly said Prometheus wasn't an ALien prequel, despite an ALien being born in the end and making a sequel to Prometheus with Alien in the title. I doubt I'll see it because I didn't like Prometheus too much.

Hope Alien 5 gets made though.

I can't tell if the movie will be good or not. I liked some of the footage. Looked creepy.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
I can't tell if the movie will be good or not. I liked some of the footage. Looked creepy.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
That new Alien trailer looked awesome.

Really??? It looked like an entire preview of pulling out every stereotypical scene from a horror movie that anyone could think of.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Really??? It looked like an entire preview of pulling out every stereotypical scene from a horror movie that anyone could think of.

I mean it wasn't as boring as the boring trailer for the sequel to the boring Blade Runner movie or anything.

Assuming it was just a teaser.

I try not to take too much from trailers.

I don't know, I thought it looked fun. Giant alien monster chases people around on a space ship. What's not to like about that? I liked all the other Alien movies.

Ridley Scott also tried to branch out from that formula in Prometheus and everyone threw a fit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)

This is what people have wanted, Ridley Scott to return to "Alien". While he is using a lot of the original as inspiration, the actual story hasnt even been approached yet. Considering they are going to the Engineer's home planet, and will be dealing with the engineers again, I think we can wait to see if this is a shot by shot remake of Alien.

I also am looking forward to it, some of the story "leaks" that have come out are exciting if true

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
I try not to take too much from trailers.

I don't know, I thought it looked fun. Giant alien monster chases people around on a space ship. What's not to like about that? I liked all the other Alien movies.

Ridley Scott also tried to branch out from that formula in Prometheus and everyone threw a fit.

Maybe that's the disconnect. I like all the first three Alien movies. Everything after has been some version or another of bad, for me.

Alien is one of my favorite movies of all time, my aunt took me to see that and Aliens when I was a kid but with that being said I'm skeptical on this new movie. I would've preferred to see Noomi Rapace come back in a lead role and have the film immediately follow Prometheus, but I really do like Katherine Waterson. The thing that has me worried the most is Ridley Scott, he hasn't made a great or really good movie since Gladiator/Black Hawk Down and there's a lot of meh in his filmography. And a lot of bad as of late. I know he started the franchise but I would prefer to see someone else make this, like Blase Runner 2049.

Do people not realize that this Alien movie is a sequel to Prometheus? A couple of comments in this thread make me feel like that might be the case. Alien has already gone back to horror. Prometheus, while flawed, had some of the most uncomfortable and insane scenes in any move the past decade. I loved it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 07:07 AM)
Do people not realize that this Alien movie is a sequel to Prometheus? A couple of comments in this thread make me feel like that might be the case. Alien has already gone back to horror. Prometheus, while flawed, had some of the most uncomfortable and insane scenes in any move the past decade. I loved it.

I was content with Prometheus. Probably wouldn't watch it again. Had some flaws. "Run sideways Charlize!"

I had to read up to remind me how it ended so I knew where Covenant will pick up.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is awesome...one of my favorites this year, along with Captain Fantastic.

Still patiently waiting to see La La Land and Moonlight. Seems like they're controlling the awards show screeners much more carefully than previous years.

Will finally get to see Rogue One in the theatres here the week of the 6th.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 07:07 AM)

Prometheus is not truly a prequel to the Alien series, but it is not truly part of the Alien series, much like the Hobbit is a prequel to the Lord of the Rings but not a Lord of the Rings movie.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 31, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
Prometheus is not truly a prequel to the Alien series, but it is not truly part of the Alien series, much like the Hobbit is a prequel to the Lord of the Rings but not a Lord of the Rings movie.

It’s part of the Alien franchise. No need to make it confusing.

I’m personally not holding my breath on this one or the new Blade Runner. Ridley Scott is a hit-or-miss director, but because of his name alone, he’ll draw-in massive attention to both films.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 31, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)

Of course I realize that. The point I was making is the Alien universe has legit been back for a few years now.