**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hell or High Water was fantastic. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Bridges and Pine were both amazing, and I was especially surprised by Pine's performance. Cinematography and music were just great. Writing, characters, all of it. The main story line wasn't earth-shattering, but they took enough of a unique version of it in places to work, and it was just so well-executed all around. Highly recommend.

Side/nerd note, I loved that they found not only an actual American Indian actor for a key role, but one who is in fact a Comanche too, the tribe that fit with the movie. That's hard to pull off.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Hell or High Water was fantastic. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Bridges and Pine were both amazing, and I was especially surprised by Pine's performance. Cinematography and music were just great. Writing, characters, all of it. The main story line wasn't earth-shattering, but they took enough of a unique version of it in places to work, and it was just so well-executed all around. Highly recommend.

Side/nerd note, I loved that they found not only an actual American Indian actor for a key role, but one who is in fact a Comanche too, the tribe that fit with the movie. That's hard to pull off.

Gasped when he got killed. I was legit pissed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)

Everyone did a fantastic job in the film. Unbelievable performances by Bridges and his sidekick.

I liked the movie, I didnt love it. I guess I was expecting a unique story line or plot twist to really give it that DAMN THAT WAS AWESOME type of reaction. I didnt realize they were giving something that we have seen before in regards to the story.

Sidenote: Bo Jackson sat in the row in front of me and I was super stoked. I actually was surprised with how star-struck I became when I noticed him while in line for the tickets. My wife was like chill dude. I was trying to explain why I was so excited and his wife/friend was behind us in line laughing saying that he tends to get the reaction that I had. Then when I seen he was seeing the same movie it made it even more of a thrill.

Earlier this year there was a conversation going on about the death of the movie theater, mostly in part to the Screening Room. The conversation is put down thanks to 'indies' like The Witch, Don't Breathe*, Hell Or High Water (just to name a few) which people are going to see and not waiting for VOD.

Our full list of films at the Chicago International Film Fedtival comes out today. We have La La Land, Arrival, Moonlight, Elle, Pronouns just to name a few. Come see them before everyone else does.

I saw hell or high water. Not as enthusiastic as you all. There was too much lack of tension from the "cat" part of the cat and mouse game. And the whole "bank tried to keep your mom poor to steal the land!" thing, k well she didn't have to take a loan out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
I saw hell or high water. Not as enthusiastic as you all. There was too much lack of tension from the "cat" part of the cat and mouse game. And the whole "bank tried to keep your mom poor to steal the land!" thing, k well she didn't have to take a loan out.

I think that latter point, was part of what made it a good movie. It wasn't intended to be that black and white. These weren't Robin Hood guys, they had plenty of blood and failure on their hands, and weren't fighting purely for some moral cause.

On the cat side, I thought they hit it on the head, but that's subjective.

Suicide Squad has a legitimate chance at $800M as it crossed The Winter Solider at the box office. Suicide Squad also has better legs than Civil War at the Box Office. Keep in mind that Suicide Squad was banned in China, the most important INTL market for films.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Suicide Squad has a legitimate chance at $800M as it crossed The Winter Solider at the box office. Suicide Squad also has better legs than Civil War at the Box Office. Keep in mind that Suicide Squad was banned in China, the most important INTL market for films.

My Chinese hs students are smart enough to like Deadpool a helluva lot more than SS.

Warcraft, that's because of the popularity of the game. Pacific Rim, that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...

Deepwater Horizon has similar critical ratings but still prefer the story-telling of Sully to the spectacle of this particular Peter Berg film.

DH at heart is Gravity on the water, essentially a summer popcorn movie two months too late, but the real life tragedy and environmental implications force it closer to the fall/prestige movie season.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw The Accountant last night and holy s*** it was great. I would describe it as a more action packed, more traditional and less stylized Drive. Some of the best action scene that I have seen in a while and Ben Affleck gives a great performance as the autistic Accountant.

It's cool seeing Commissioner Gordon go after the Batman for once.

I don't know if it's top ten but it's definitely top fifteen movies of the year for me.

It turns out Devin Faraci has sexually assaulted some women and has stepped down from his post of EIC at Birth Movies Death. He wrote an article earlier this year, accusing a certain filmmaker of being a myisognist and hater of all things feminine. The irony.

Come see me at the film festival doing stuff.

You can see La La Land 2 months early.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 06:01 AM)
My Chinese hs students are smart enough to like Deadpool a helluva lot more than SS.

Warcraft, that's because of the popularity of the game. Pacific Rim, that's another story.

I don't get what point you're trying to make. Suicide Squad easily crosses a billion dollars if it was in China. My point was it is the biggest hit of the summer, not in terms of dollar but in longevity and it's still playing in theaters.

I wouldn't say that Deadpool is better than SS or that SS is better than Deadpool, I have similar opinions on both films.