Brian

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
I liked the nice guys a lot too. Surprised that took 50 mill to make though.

I guess it costs a lot of money to make Atlanta look like 1970s LA.

Neighbors 2.....2.5/4 kind of a disappointment, even though the reviews were so-so, expected more truly funny scenes and the spirit of the first movie was taken over by an overbearing political correctness

Money Monster....2.75/4, really enjoyed the first 50-60 minutes, then it kind of devolved from there into a traditional action/thriller with a convenient or pat conclusion, on the plus side, I found a new actress, Catriona Balfe, who plays on the tv series OUTLANDER (just started watching and think it's a darned good show, especially her performance)

Not anywhere close to being as good as THE BIG SHORT, although they are different movies...anything to do with business/stock market/economics kind of gets lumped together, eg., sports-themed movies

Did enjoy seeing Clooney and Julia Roberts working together yet again.

The latest Alice in Wonderland movie is atrocious.

I don't know why I thought I would find something enjoyable about it. Johnny Depp keeps becoming more and more bizarre in his real life and also his acting performances, I couldn't help but think to all those movies like Edward Scissorhands and reflect how the Pirates of the Caribbean movies actually put him into a "mailing it in" tailspin.

Helena Bonham Carter was great as usual as the Red Queen, but watching the lead actress (Mia W.), she just doesn't leave much of an impression or have the requisite charisma to carry a movie (same feeling I have with the lead actress from the Divergent series). If you really like Sascha Baron Cohen, it might be YOUR type movie (in this role, he's FAR from humorous), but I wouldn't recommend it except to Sox fans who are trying to find something else to do with their time and need a distraction.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
Popstar was great. God I loved that movie.

Wanted to go catch a matinee of it today, but they've cut the screenings to 1 per day @ 10 pm. No way my old ass stays awake for that. Didn't this just get wide release last week? I know the marketing wasn't very strong for it, but god damn.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
The latest Alice in Wonderland movie is atrocious.

I don't know why I thought I would find something enjoyable about it. Johnny Depp keeps becoming more and more bizarre in his real life and also his acting performances, I couldn't help but think to all those movies like Edward Scissorhands and reflect how the Pirates of the Caribbean movies actually put him into a "mailing it in" tailspin.

Him and Tim Burton need to stop working together. Dark Shadows was dreadful.

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Wanted to go catch a matinee of it today, but they've cut the screenings to 1 per day @ 10 pm. No way my old ass stays awake for that. Didn't this just get wide release last week? I know the marketing wasn't very strong for it, but god damn.

It was amazing and hilarious beginning to end, I even bought the soundtrack but it should not have been a summer movie.

The Conjuring 2 was pretty good. I thought it was a little long and felt like they could have tightened up at the beginning and the end a bit. Ending was kind of sappy, but it didn't feel unearned. Not reinventing the wheel with this one, just solid haunting/possession flick.

Neighbors 2 wasn't as funny as the first for me, but very enjoyable.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
It was amazing and hilarious beginning to end, I even bought the soundtrack but it should not have been a summer movie.

I'm in love with the song about Mona Lisa.

It's funny but its about 30% This is Spinal Tap recycled.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 12:11 AM)
I'm in love with the song about Mona Lisa.

It's funny but its about 30% This is Spinal Tap recycled.

The Bin Laden song is genius, I find myself singing "f*** Bin Laden" constantly.

Edited by Joshua Strong

Conjuring 2

Agree with earlier comments, solid sequel, not quite the "gotcha" moments as the original one (I swear to God, when I came to Indonesia in 2013, that movie was already in its 3rd or 4th month of a never ending run in theatres...incredibly successful in the Asian markets).

Anabelle wasn't close to the equivalent of Conjuring 2.

Patrick Wilson has had a strange career after movies like Hard Candy and Phantom of the Opera, but has really seemed to find his niche in the horror movie genre.

Now You See Me 2...hate it as much I liked the first one, and the substitution for Isla Fisher really just didn't work

Eye in the Sky....must-see movie, whether rental or in the theatres, deals with the ethics and does a very solid job of not taking a strong position on either side, politically, so more nuanced that we're used to seeing in this type of movie or even Homeland

The Nice Guys....excellent movie, can't understand why it didn't do better in the box office, but that's Hollywood today, when remaking Warcraft (and the inevitable sequel) in order to mine the Chinese box office is being prioritized over making good movies, period

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 02:23 AM)
Saw Neon Demon today and its fantastic, maybe my favorite movie of the year. I thought it was going to be impossible to top Only God Forgives but Refn did it.

Drive was better than that, if only for the soundtrack.

Could not have gotten Bangkok more wrong in Only God Forgives. I don't think you're going to find more than a handful that enjoyed that particular movie around here. I'll put the over/under at 2 that agree with you.

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT was pretty good (Tina Fey/Martin Freeman/Margot Robbie)...about foreign war correspondents in Afghanistan after 9/11.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
Drive was better than that, if only for the soundtrack.

Could not have gotten Bangkok more wrong in Only God Forgives. I don't think you're going to find more than a handful that enjoyed that particular movie around here. I'll put the over/under at 2 that agree with you.

I would have to disagree, I loved Drive but I would pick Only God Forgives over that any day of the week and that makes sense because Only God Forgives is Drive to the extreme. Everything about Drive is taken to the billionth degree on OGF. I really appreciated the man verses God/nature story that it had thought that despite being overtly symbolic, that it did not beat you over the head with symbolism. Drive did have the better soundtrack, but OGF had the better score in my opinion but I wouldn't penalize OGF for not having a soundtrack because a soundtrack in the film would feel really out of place.

I loved the dynamic between Julian and his mother. And I could watch a movie/tv series about Chang, my favorite on screen portrayal of God in any movie, sorry Morgan Freeman.

The original script is online and its a totally different movie, its more conventional and plays as a straight up thriller. I would like to see Refn do a four quadrant movie, something more conventional and pop but he's craving a nice little niche for himself and building a devoted following in the process.

My top ten movies of the year so far.

Neon Demon

The Witch

10 Cloverfield Lane

Midnight Special

Batman v. Superman (Director's Cut)

Deadpool

The Nice Guys

Knight Of Cups

Green Room

Zootopia

Edited by Joshua Strong

Independence Day wasn't quite terrible, would put it in Batman vs. Superman territory.

Really missed Will Smith and Randy Quaid, the younger actors were capable but nothing really stood out. Obviously, it was mostly about the special effects/CGI we've seen about 50 times now in disaster movies, going back to the original ID in the 90's.

Nice to see Jeff Boldblum and Judd Hirsch again.

And that damn spaceship was so out of scale huge that it just was TOO much.