**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
It's not sacred for us man, it is for you. Any time you like a movie you call the director an auteur

I dunno. I doubt he'd call Michael Bay an auteur.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
It's not sacred for us man, it is for you. Any time you like a movie you call the director an auteur

No and I have had that word jammed down my throat for years. Auteur just means a director with a specific individual style/or person making all the creative decisions.

I loved CW, didn't call the Russo Bros. auteurs. Watched Rush Hour this morning, don't think Brett Ratner is an auteur.

Please run it back to me.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 16, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
I dunno. I doubt he'd call Michael Bay an auteur.

If filmmaker has their own distinctive style and an aesthetic all their own, then yes they're an auteur. When Truffaut coined the term, he brought it back to the saying, "There are no books, only authors." And all that matters is the compete body of work of an artist. Meaning, if you can identify curtain themes, traits, visual style and craft. Then that person is an auteur.

An auteur is also one of the four types of directors, it's someone who writes and directs their own scripts.

If you think Michael Bay has his own aesthetic, then you think he's an auteur.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
So, they're looking for a new James Bond. Here's a name I'd like to see considered for it: Chiwetel Ejiafor.

I think he'd be a pretty good follow to the Daniel Craig type James Bond, not sure if he could pull off the super charm that some Bond's have but to me that isn't really a requirement after Craig's story.

Neighbors 2 is getting relatively good reviews compared to most comedy sequels in recent years (Ted 2, Horrible Bosses 2, etc.)

Lots of good content out there competing in the marketplace as we get closer to the peak summer movie season.

Have a feeling that X-Men is going to be an underwhelming performance.

QUOTE (Tony @ May 22, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
Yeah, I LOVED The Nice Guys. I don't remember laughing that much in a movie in a long time.

The shot where Gosling and Keith David are falling and Gosling hits the pool and David splatters on the patio had me cracking up.

I can just see it now.

The Other Guys and The Nice Guys combined into The Other Nice Guys with two comedic pairings.

Can't remember the last time Russell Crowe's had a movie the critics actually liked. Seems like ages. At the beginning of his career, it felt like he was going to win 3-5 Academy Awards. His personal life, weight gain, prickly relationship with the press and just about anyone that crosses his path as well as the affair with Meg Ryan kind of derailed things for him.

I'm not going to count Les Miz as a great performance, but at least it was watchable...compared to, say, a Gerard Butler movie.

Apparently it made $11.9 million over the weekend. Hopefully positive word of mouth allows it to hold for a month. Summer movie season is tough though, X-Men is coming next I think, lots more competition in the marketplace, wish these kinds of movies would be placed at "dead times" on the calendar where it feels like 3-4 weekends before you get a movie you actually might want to watch.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I feel like Tom Hiddleston is basically auditioning for it now with his recent roles.

And after "The Night Manager", I'm convinced he fits the bill. He's also almost a decade younger than Idris Elba.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
So, they're looking for a new James Bond. Here's a name I'd like to see considered for it: Chiwetel Ejiafor.

I like him, but I would really like to see them go younger with it and maybe cast someone who is lesser known. One actor I like for it is David Ajala, he's had a couple of really strong supporting roles in a few films especially in Starred Up with Jack O'Connell and Ben Mendelsohn. I would also be very into a lady Bond, but I think the MI franchise might be stealing that trick with the Ilsa Faust character. Tom Hiddleston as Bond is a choice I find kind of boring. He'd be fine, but if they're just going to cast an actor in the same mold I'm still in the bag for Dan Stevens.

Forgot to throw in my .02 on The Nice Guys. It was fine. Kim Basinger and Matt Bomer were awful. Keith David, Russell Crowe, the baby Goose, and even the kid were good. I didn't mind the smog plot like some of the negative reviews, just some of the beats didn't work for me (the shootout at Gosling's house was a lowpoint).

Edited by Nixon

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 31, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Recently saw Ex-Machina and thought it was great.

Also, rented Room. Started out really strong and kind of fizzled, but still thought it was worthwhile.

I liked Ex Machina so much I've been afraid to watch it again. If that makes sense.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 31, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
I liked Ex Machina so much I've been afraid to watch it again. If that makes sense.

Haha it does. I watched it on a flight, so I may eventually check it out again on the home tv.

The Nice Guys was amazing. I would've liked some some back story about the characters and the little girl was hilarious. There's a lot of hidden jokes in the movie, like the one about asparagus. It's a shamed that it bombed because that means there's going to be fewer original movies for the time being.

X Men was great as well, not as good as X2 but I think that it's as good as the original film and better then First Class. I think the movie could've been better if the creative team resisted the urge to play to Jennifer Lawrence's star power because her role felt very forced. Oscar Issac was great, the costumed looked way better in action than it did in the photos. I wished that they kept his voice distorted for the entirety of the movie. The new cast was very solid too. And my favorite part was the Hugh Jackman scene. Something that bother was that they let scenes drag on for too long, if they would've trimmed the ending of some scenes down, the movie would be like 5-10 minutes shorter. It reminded me a lot of the 90s cartoon show.

Obliviously the villain of the next film is going to be a certain Sinister character, hopefully with the next film being set in the 90s the next film will go back to the serious tone of the first two films and use the AIDS epidemic as a backdrop for the story since mutant blood is going to be some sort of MacGuffin.

Hopefully Bryan Singer stays with the franchise, I know he said that he would like to go back to original films but I can't imagine someone better suited for the franchise. If not as a director but as a writer/producer.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 31, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Recently saw Ex-Machina and thought it was great.

Also, rented Room. Started out really strong and kind of fizzled, but still thought it was worthwhile.

Yes, the ending still shocks me