Brian

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rented and watched The Good Dinosaur.

It was "meh" to me, plus there were a few disturbing scenes that I was surprised to see.

Not really funny or entertaining.

Just another kids film that will be forgotten in a year.

2 stars out of 5.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:03 AM)
Rented and watched The Good Dinosaur.

It was "meh" to me, plus there were a few disturbing scenes that I was surprised to see.

Not really funny or entertaining.

Just another kids film that will be forgotten in a year.

2 stars out of 5.

I wasn't impressed with it either. Decent, but clearly below many of the historic Pixar movies.

Finally got off my ass and watched a few movies lately.

The Hateful Eight- pretty much what I expected from Tarantino. A twisting turning plot and a whole bunch of cussing. Good movie, though not his best by any means.

The Last Witch Hunter- better than I expected and was pleasantly surprised. I thought Vin did well in the role. Maybe I had low expectations?

Howl- typical British Warewolf movie, and that's a good thing. Has a few familiar faces and a fair amount of blood and gore, though more would have been nice. Pretty good movie and the only thing I didn't like was the ending, could have been better but oh well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
I wasn't impressed with it either. Decent, but clearly below many of the historic Pixar movies.

there were all kinds of problems in production, its not a surprise that it ended up subpar

Saw a few movies:

Knight of Cups: Terrence Malick is a huge deal for me and this movies is very memorizing and dreamlike. Christian Bale does a lot with nothing and each chapter is different from the last. I need to see it again to see where I would rank it but it's very good.

Midnight Special: WB had a special screening downtown and we got to hang with Jeff Nichols afterwards and he did a Q+A. Equal parts Carpenter and Spielberg, great ensemble, fantastic score and I liked the pacing. My only complaint about it, would be the lack of exposition. Knight of Cups had more exposition and that's saying something.

The Witch: Saw it again, not a scare fest but a very tense and psychologically draining movie and that's a compliment.

I see Batman v. Superman in a couple days, lots of great buzz surrounding it. WB screened the movie for Anthony Breznican a couple weeks ago. They held company and private screenings last week, theater chains see it today and the junket sees it tomorrow, the embargo lifts on Tuesday at 12:01.

If anyone wants to go in cold, I suggest going dark because the ending of the film has leaked online, along with pics.

Edited by Joshua Strong

Forgot I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane and Brothers Grimsby

10 Cloverfield: I like it a lot more than Cloverfield. I did not have a problem with the ending and John Goodman was amazing and put up an Oscar worthy performance.

Grimsby: It's not good but it's not bad either, just meh. Lots of male genitalia. I saw it at 7pm and in a theater filled with ten people, a couple actually walked out of it. Not for people who are easily offended. I think Louis Lettier did this movie in, I think he's a hack and I hear he's a terrible person. I think the movie would have done better with a director who was more used to comedy or if Baron Cohen directed it himself.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
I'm looking forward to Midnight Special.

Yeah it was pretty good and Jeff Nichols is pretty awesome. Really nice guy, he gave everyone really thought out answers and didn't really shy away from anything. He brought up Aquaman and said that after Loving, he's going to try to increase the scope of his films.

i saw Miracles From Heaven last nite, it was a really nice family movie. Jennifer Garner is her usual great self in the movie.

i was surprise it was a true story.

4 out of 5 stars for a family movie.

Driving to Iowa on Thursday morning to see Batman V. Superman in 70mm IMAX. #KeepFilmAlive #FamilyFirst

Format Comparison Chart: http://youtu.be/dvUqXoAEdIc

Apparently they shot the movie on 16mm, 35mm, 65mm and 15/70mm (IMAX format) film. And they used the Arri Alexa for a couple dialogue scenes, which is the best digital camera around and a GoPro camera for some POV on the Batmoblie.

The Revenant was shot on the Alexa. I was unfortunate enough to use one once, we rigged it to my chest on a steadicam and the results were amazing and I'm a film guy so take that as you will.

Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane yesterday. Really great movie with John Goodman stealing the show. As it has been mentioned before, his performance is Oscar-worthy.

I loved the ending. It didn't feel forced as to tie in the Cloverfield name. There were some clues throughout the film that helped make the ending work.

Even before the ending, which was intense, there were some extremely suspenseful moments that had me gripping the arms of the chair. I would highly recommend the movie.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane yesterday. Really great movie with John Goodman stealing the show. As it has been mentioned before, his performance is Oscar-worthy.

I loved the ending. It didn't feel forced as to tie in the Cloverfield name. There were some clues throughout the film that helped make the ending work.

Even before the ending, which was intense, there were some extremely suspenseful moments that had me gripping the arms of the chair. I would highly recommend the movie.

for me, i think i will always watch a John Goodman movie.... he has always done a great job.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 06:05 AM)

Was really good. I think what hurt this movie (if anything) was the fact they tried to make it look like a sequel to Cloverfield in the previews when it had nothing to do with Cloverfield, and that kind of messed with my expectations.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
Was really good. I think what hurt this movie (if anything) was the fact they tried to make it look like a sequel to Cloverfield in the previews when it had nothing to do with Cloverfield, and that kind of messed with my expectations.

Yeah, my immediate reaction to seeing the teaser was thinking it was some sort of sequel. But once I did some reading and saw that Abrams said it was a "blood relative" to the original, I figured we wouldn't see the monster. So, I went in not really knowing what to expect but sorta kinda hoping there would be some sort of monster. Overall, it was very well done, and all three actors were great...but John Goodman was fantastic. I hope his performance is remembered come Oscar nomination time.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
Yeah, my immediate reaction to seeing the teaser was thinking it was some sort of sequel. But once I did some reading and saw that Abrams said it was a "blood relative" to the original, I figured we wouldn't see the monster. So, I went in not really knowing what to expect but sorta kinda hoping there would be some sort of monster. Overall, it was very well done, and all three actors were great...but John Goodman was fantastic. I hope his performance is remembered come Oscar nomination time.

i totally agree.... there are or can be, for my point, 1000 stories of what happens when the invasion came. however to be creative to think of those stories to make them work.

now comes for me, the survivors becoming surly, desperate and angry to fight back. niceeee i can't wait. part 1 sucked, part is great b/c of goodman. well the jury will be out for part 3 and the actors and actress.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
The Hateful Eight- pretty much what I expected from Tarantino. A twisting turning plot and a whole bunch of cussing. Good movie, though not his best by any means.

This was one I really wanted to see when it was released, but by the time I was able to it wasn't playing anywhere near me. I finally caught it when it made it's way to the cheap theaters. After all that waiting, 3 hours later I found it disappointing. I didn't like Django too much, either. I wanted to like both of them.

Finally got to see the Big Short. To be fair I should mention that I work in financial derivatives technology for a living and have for 18 years now, so I was already pretty familiar with what happened at a high level (and in some cases, at a very detailed one).

Overall I really liked it. I thought I'd be disappointed as someone within the industry, but I wasn't. They did take some liberties (beyond the ones they told you they were taking), like making it seem as if those CDS's they wrote early in the movie were somehow a new thing (they had existed for decades before then). But forgiving a few of those, I thought it was pretty damn good.