**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
I couldnt disagree more, Max Mad was a nice Sci-Fi flick but it lacked any depth whatsoever. Spotlight and Room were tremendous.

That's not true, it was a story about a man running away from tragedy, a tragedy that saw him fail his wife and daughter. And when he's at his lowest he stumbles upon Furiosa and the wives. The movie talked about mental illness and had a very strong feminist overtones and imagery. It had a ton of depth. Maybe we didn't see the same movie.

Edited by Joshua Strong

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
That's not true, it was a story about a man running away from tragedy, a tragedy that saw him fail his wife and daughter. And when he's at his lowest he stumbles upon Furiosa and the wives. The movie talked about mental illness and had a very strong feminist overtones and imagery. It had a ton of depth. Maybe we didn't see the same movie.

Dude, GTFO with this nonsense. The plot was almost non-existent and anyone saying otherwise is spitting some serious art school bulls***. I enjoyed the movie a ton, but let's not pretend it is something that it's not.

Also, Max never had a daughter, so I'm not sure where you're getting that part of the plot from unless you're assuming that little girl haunting him throughout the film is actually his daughter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
I just want to go on record to say that San Andreas was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It made my head hurt.

Yep, and they're going to make a sequel out of it. Hard to make a bad movie with the cast they had...but they did.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
From what everyone is saying about Gods of Egypt, far worse than San Andreas...epic failure.

San Andreas was so awful. Everything about it was bad. My personal favorites were how the tallest skyscrapers were all falling, but the brick buildings that are the most vulnerable to collapse were still standing... or maybe it was the fact that the San Andres is a slip fault, and yet there was this gigantic gap along it after the earthquake.

And that is nothing compared to the plot and acting and writing.

Gag.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Dude, GTFO with this nonsense. The plot was almost non-existent and anyone saying otherwise is spitting some serious art school bulls***. I enjoyed the movie a ton, but let's not pretend it is something that it's not.

Also, Max never had a daughter, so I'm not sure where you're getting that part of the plot from unless you're assuming that little girl haunting him throughout the film is actually his daughter.

I knew he had a dead son and I assumed they changed it to a daughter because it's a soft reboot. I have to look that up.

But please do us a favor and let's have intelligent conversation, please keep the acronyms in the high school cafeteria.

Mad Max had a plot, it might have been simple but it had a plot and told a story. The movie did have themes, did you know that all art whether it's music, photography, film, literature has themes.

Mad Max explored it's themes with such subtle depth, yet they were so prominent in the film. It's about surival, escaping to a higher power, feminism, female empowerment, and redemption amongst other things.

The script is very good and it's the best directed and well crafted film of the year. Go online and watch the BTS and look at how they made the movie from the development stage to shooting and post production. It's staggering.

Is Spotlihht a bad movie? No, I think it's a great movie but I happen to think Mad Max is better.

I really hate it when people say that big budget movies/genre films can't be artistic, it's complete bulls***. Big budget films can be every bit as artistic as their smaller counterparts. Being a drama or a smaller budget film doesn't guarantee artistic merit and being a big budget film or a genre film isn't a guarantee of being mindless entertainment.

LOL

:lol:

So, it's one thing to say that it was a really good action movie that they added some depth to. I'd agree with that. It did have some feminist overtones, and the characters had a little more interest than some of your typical actioners. But to say the movie was "about" tragedy, family, mental illness, etc. is quite a stretch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
So, it's one thing to say that it was a really good action movie that they added some depth to. I'd agree with that. It did have some feminist overtones, and the characters had a little more interest than some of your typical actioners. But to say the movie was "about" tragedy, family, mental illness, etc. is quite a stretch.

I would agree. It was a great movie, probably one of the most visually stunning films I've seen. I think it got the nod as a best picture nominee for that and the fact that they've expanded the number of films that can be nominated. But it wasn't on the same level as Spotlight (which I watched the day of the Oscars).

I'm not sure I agree with expanding the number of films for best picture. I might agree that there are more than 5 each year that deserve recognition, but in the past it didn't seem to be a huge deal when five were nominated. There was always talk of snubs and surprises, but you still hear about that now when up to 10 can be nominated.

All that being said, I think the right film won. And Mad Max won the awards it should have won.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
Chris Nolan should watch Mad Max over and over again for how to build a unique world without just explaining the rules of the world for 4 hours.

This won't piss off a certain poster here or anything. ;)

:)

I think Mad Max was actually one of the best storytelling movies I've seen in a long time. And I mean that in how the actual filmmaking was telling the story, as opposed to a screenplay and dialogue.

The pace was right on. This year we saw filmmakers do an incredible job of keeping their stories moving. Spotlight took an incredibly difficult story to tell, that goes off the rails in so many "serious movies", and was pitch perfect. Same with Big Short. But I don't think those were any more difficult to make than Mad Max. At this point, safe to assume almost all of its audience was familiar but probably hadn't seen Mad Max originals. He set up the backstory with minimal drag, and jumped right into it. I think the "Then who killed the world" line was one of the best in the movies.

Looking back, this year with Creed, Big Short, Spotlight, Mad Max and star wars, had to be one of my favorite years in a while. November/December especially.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
I would agree. It was a great movie, probably one of the most visually stunning films I've seen. I think it got the nod as a best picture nominee for that and the fact that they've expanded the number of films that can be nominated. But it wasn't on the same level as Spotlight (which I watched the day of the Oscars).

I'm not sure I agree with expanding the number of films for best picture. I might agree that there are more than 5 each year that deserve recognition, but in the past it didn't seem to be a huge deal when five were nominated. There was always talk of snubs and surprises, but you still hear about that now when up to 10 can be nominated.

All that being said, I think the right film won. And Mad Max won the awards it should have won.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
:)

I think Mad Max was actually one of the best storytelling movies I've seen in a long time. And I mean that in how the actual filmmaking was telling the story, as opposed to a screenplay and dialogue.

The pace was right on. This year we saw filmmakers do an incredible job of keeping their stories moving. Spotlight took an incredibly difficult story to tell, that goes off the rails in so many "serious movies", and was pitch perfect. Same with Big Short. But I don't think those were any more difficult to make than Mad Max. At this point, safe to assume almost all of its audience was familiar but probably hadn't seen Mad Max originals. He set up the backstory with minimal drag, and jumped right into it. I think the "Then who killed the world" line was one of the best in the movies.

Looking back, this year with Creed, Big Short, Spotlight, Mad Max and star wars, had to be one of my favorite years in a while. November/December especially.

both post were excellent

this was a very good yrs at the movies, my point is, star wars was just a good visually as mad max imo, and on some i thought it was better. but that is me.

as on another post, in the main sox thread, watching movies and racially explosive. this is me, i hate those silly kind of movies like ride along and comedies. but i like comptom and barbershop. so for me, it is what people like or dislike as oppose to racially drawn movies as some says.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3168808/

Murder in the Park was an amazing documentary. It follows up with the Jerry Porter case, a man who was about two days away from death row, when he got a waiver. He was later pardoned for his crimes, and it turns out that the Northwestern program that tries to free innocent people from death row might have manipulated and flat out manufactured evidence in order to free Porter and frame someone else for the crime.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower finally being made into a film.

I have a really bad feeling about this. A lot of talk has already been stirred up at the fact they are casting Idris Ebla to play a character that was originally based on Clint Eastwood.

My concern is that they aren't going to be true to the books at all in an attempt to appeal to the wider masses. They've already had news about casting a character that literally appears on only one page and not until book 7. I'm not even sure she had any spoken lines in the book.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Stephen King's The Dark Tower finally being made into a film.

I have a really bad feeling about this. A lot of talk has already been stirred up at the fact they are casting Idris Ebla to play a character that was originally based on Clint Eastwood.

My concern is that they aren't going to be true to the books at all in an attempt to appeal to the wider masses. They've already had news about casting a character that literally appears on only one page and not until book 7. I'm not even sure she had any spoken lines in the book.

The fact that they chose Elba doesn't bother me in the least. I just worry that the size and scope of this story is just far too big for a series of movies

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
The fact that they chose Elba doesn't bother me in the least. I just worry that the size and scope of this story is just far too big for a series of movies

They managed it with Harry Potter...

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
They managed it with Harry Potter...

Harry Potter is really a straightforward story though. Steven King books are anything but, there is a lot of first person thoughts and feelings that tend to get lost in his movies(IMO).

Here is an article about an old script that may or may not be outdated. It has a few spoilers as to what we may expect to see in January.

It sounds like they are going to take parts from a few of the books (mostly 1, 2 and 7) and squeeze them into the first movie and may even change a few important plot points. Like what happens to Jake in the tunnel and even Roland's entire reason for the journey.

This article made me feel a little bit better, but I'm still not sure I'm going to like it. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that the first movie crashes and burns and they never get around to finishing it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
Harry Potter is really a straightforward story though. Steven King books are anything but, there is a lot of first person thoughts and feelings that tend to get lost in his movies(IMO).

That's undoubtedly true. I think that's why movies like Shawshank and Stand By Me were both really great adaptions. They both had narrators to explain those inner thoughts and feelings.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
First trailer for the Ghostbusters reboot is out and I think it looks painfully unfunny.

Yeah, that is a rough trailer.

Also I glanced at that comment section and it's a s*** show, even for YouTube. Should have known better. Check it out if you wanna feel sad.