**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

Not sure if I'm giving credit to the wrong guy (i.e. not sure if Abrams is attached) but I think the biggest strength of Abrams is a keen understanding of the excitement of cinema/movies as spectacle. His movies to me haven't held up well the farther you are removed from that manipulation spectacle of release, but it's nice to have someone aware of movies in culture.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
The ending was incredible though.

i will admit, i never really got into those kind of movie... i know it is on me, and i love watching movies.

but i do like Goodman as an actor, so i will see this b/c of him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
The ending was incredible though.

It is. The short story doesnt really have a solid ending, its more like they just keep driving on through the mist, not knowing what is gonna happen.

Stephen King movie adaptations are so weird. Some of them like the Green Mile, Shawshank, Misery are just awesome. Some of them like sleepwalkers, pet sematary, lawnmower man are just not good at all.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
It is. The short story doesnt really have a solid ending, its more like they just keep driving on through the mist, not knowing what is gonna happen.

Stephen King movie adaptations are so weird. Some of them like the Green Mile, Shawshank, Misery are just awesome. Some of them like sleepwalkers, pet sematary, lawnmower man are just not good at all.

Really looking forward to 11.22.63. That was his best book in forever.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
I enjoyed the movie; haven't read the short story yet. That ending was some heavy stuff.

The movie follows the book almost exactly, except for the ending. When King saw the ending, he said he wished he would've come up with it first. :lol:

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)

That's because he pretty much ok's any adaption. Then it's up to the movie people to decide how closely they want to stick to the story in the book. For the most part, the ones that stick closer to the source material seem to be the better ones. The ones that go completely off the reservation (Lawnmower Man is a perfect example) usually turn out to be complete crap.

Then there are the adaptions that just don't transfer well from written word to movie/tv screen.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
That's because he pretty much ok's any adaption. Then it's up to the movie people to decide how closely they want to stick to the story in the book. For the most part, the ones that stick closer to the source material seem to be the better ones. The ones that go completely off the reservation (Lawnmower Man is a perfect example) usually turn out to be complete crap.

Then there are the adaptions that just don't transfer well from written word to movie/tv screen.

I think a lot of that is because Kings writing style is very frequently from the mind of the main character.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I think a lot of that is because Kings writing style is very frequently from the mind of the main character.

A lot of stories are told that way though and many transfer well to film. I was thinking more like the ending of IT. The people that see the ending of the movie always say IT was just a spider? But if you read the book you realize that ending was soo much bigger and more epic than that.

IT wasn't *just* a spider. That was just the only physical representation the minds of the characters could come up with. That final confrontation didn't even take place in the physical world. It also connected to a much bigger universe.

Hearts in Atlantis is another one that didn't translate all that well. It's one of my absolute favorite books of his, but they really chopped it up for the movie. The bad guys in that movie weren't supposed to be human. But with the way they are described, it would've been difficult to do on film.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
A lot of stories are told that way though and many transfer well to film. I was thinking more like the ending of IT. The people that see the ending of the movie always say IT was just a spider? But if you read the book you realize that ending was soo much bigger and more epic than that.

IT wasn't *just* a spider. That was just the only physical representation the minds of the characters could come up with. That final confrontation didn't even take place in the physical world. It also connected to a much bigger universe.

Hearts in Atlantis is another one that didn't translate all that well. It's one of my absolute favorite books of his, but they really chopped it up for the movie. The bad guys in that movie weren't supposed to be human. But with the way they are described, it would've been difficult to do on film.

Wasn't Hearts in Atlantis a Dark Tower side story?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Wasn't Hearts in Atlantis a Dark Tower side story?

It's connected, much like many of his other books. But they had to cut all those connections out of the movie because most of the audience wouldn't have a clue what they were referring to.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
Saw Ride Along 2 the other night. Exactly what you would expect.

I don't know what it is about Ice Cube but he cracks me up.

Check out the skit Hart and Cube did with Conan to promote the movie, it was freakin hysterical.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
It's connected, much like many of his other books. But they had to cut all those connections out of the movie because most of the audience wouldn't have a clue what they were referring to.

And that's just strange, right? Why make a movie which is a small part of a larger story?

On a related note, Idris Elba has been cast as Roland Deschaine

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
And that's just strange, right? Why make a movie which is a small part of a larger story?

To be fair, IT, Dreamcatcher, Desperation, Salem's Lot and The Stand are also connected. Or at least they exist in the same reality. They made those movies without the references to the larger story.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
On a related note, Idris Elba has been cast as Roland Deschaine

He's likely to be cast but nothing's been confirmed yet. It's sparked an interesting debate considering SK based the character off of Clint Eastwood. Idris Elba looks nothing like Clint Eastwood.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
To be fair, IT, Dreamcatcher, Desperation, Salem's Lot and The Stand are also connected. Or at least they exist in the same reality. They made those movies without the references to the larger story.

True, but IIRC HiA was written specifically as a companion story to the Dark Tower, whereas the other stories were visited by Roland throughout his travels

I may be wrong, its been about 10 years since I read the dark tower series

And in reference to Elba, i really dont care that Roland was written with Clint Eastwood in mind. It wouldnt bother me at all if Idris is cast as Roland

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
True, but IIRC HiA was written specifically as a companion story to the Dark Tower, whereas the other stories were visited by Roland throughout his travels

I may be wrong, its been about 10 years since I read the dark tower series

And in reference to Elba, i really dont care that Roland was written with Clint Eastwood in mind. It wouldnt bother me at all if Idris is cast as Roland

I don't think it was specifically meant as a companion story. It just gave some background to a minor character that didn't even show up until the 7th DT book. You could read either one without reading the other and not really miss anything. King has always put in little hints to his other books or brought in characters from other stories. There are websites dedicated to pointing out all the connections between all of his books.

As for Elba, I'm on the fence about it. He could probably pull the character off but the relationship between Roland and another character would have to be changed slightly.