**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

So, saw the roadshow of The Hateful Eight.

I do recommend if you are seeing the movie to find the 70mm versions. The screen showing at Music Box was incredible, and the opening shots were worth the price. Seeing it in a huge theatre like that was a lot of fun, rarely am I in a packed house like that and its a completely different experience. Fun for moviegoers, if you are one that prefers watching at home - probably not going to sway you.

As for the movie, it had interesting ideas, great visuals, great scenes of dialogue, but it just didn't come together for me.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seconding bmags. QT needs to realize that he doesn't need so much dialogue. Some unnecessary. It also shouldn't take 90 mins to set things up.

That said, the last hour was excellent to me.

QT has seen hundreds of more westerns than me, but the ones I did see were never this gory. Yikes.

Poor Walton Goggins, being called Walter his whole life.

Edited by Brian

It was good to see Michael Madsen in a movie again. If I were ranking my QT movies, I'd go...

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Kill Bill Vol 2

3. Inglorious Basterds

4. Res Dogs

5. Jackie Brown

6. Kill Bil vol 1

7. Hateful 8

8. Django

9. Death Proof

The gap between 4-8 is very small. Hard ranking those in any order. 1-3 far better than rest for me.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Django was better to me...I can't imagine wanting to watch 8 again for a LONG time.

I've been wanting to watch Django again but just haven't. It was a bad theatre viewing experience which may have ruined it for me.

Seconded. Django I thought I liked leaving, but I don't think Jamie Foxx was good in the role and it kinda took me out of it. I tried to turn it on again and couldn't get through the first 20 minutes.

I watched the hell out of inglourious bastards though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
Seconded. Django I thought I liked leaving, but I don't think Jamie Foxx was good in the role and it kinda took me out of it. I tried to turn it on again and couldn't get through the first 20 minutes.

I watched the hell out of inglourious bastards though.

We may be separated at birth.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
I can't stand Tarantino movies. Just like I can't stand Will Ferrell movies (where he is the main character).

He definitely has a niche fan base. I could see why some people are turned off by his movies.

Edited by Brian

I loved Django, Christoph Waltz in it was just fantastic.

My QT list would probably be:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Django

3. Inglorious Bastards

4. Res Dogs

5. Kill Bill Vol 2

6. Kill Bil vol 1

Haven't seen:

Hateful 8

Jackie Brown

Death Proof

My top 3 could change on just my mood, Res Dogs is definitely higher then Kill Bill which I enjoyed but never feel like rewatching.

Back to this conversation: Why Jackie Brown is better than Pulp Fiction.

Jackie Brown has what was good about Pulp Fiction, just a little more of it.

Pam Grier's performance in Jackie Brown is better than anyone in Pulp Fiction by a long shot. Jackie Brown also has the better supporting cast, in both terms of talent and performance. The film takes everything great about blaxploitation films and culture and gives it depth and resonance. You can call Jackie Brown a expose about the undying spirit and resolve of the black woman in America and it talks about what black women have to do to get ahead. As an African American man who was raised by black women and has sisters have have had to overcome a lot to get where they are, QT nailed it. Pam Grier's Jackie Brown remains Tarantino's best female character ever.

The soundtrack is probably the best in any Tarantino film, it starts with 110th Street by Bobby Womack and it really sets the tones.

The relationship between Jackie Brown and Max Cherry is the best relationship in any of QT's films. Despite being a great crime thriller, it's a great love story as well.

Tarantino was able to take the work of Elmore Leonard and completely put his stamp on the material. When I read Rum Punch now, it's hard not to read it through Tarantino's filter. That's the mark of a great adaptation.

Jackie Brown is also the most confident Tarantino film, it's not overtly stylish or flashy, it simply relies on the story and the characters. Whereas Pulp Fiction relies on its non-linear narrative and zainy pop culture references. Jackie Brown is his most 'mature' film to date.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
Am I the only person who loves Django?

Nope, I fricken love that movie and have watched it countless times and in fact watched with my wife again just last week. Imo, great acting all all the way around. For me, Django is right up there with Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction. All three movies are #1's for me.

Edited by BlackSox13

This was an enjoyable watch (Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott, Tom Hooper, Alejandro G. Inarritu, Danny Boyle and David O. Russell roundtable)

Enjoyed H8ful Eight, tho didn't think it was anything I hadn't seen before from Tarantino. It reminded me alot of Reservoir Dogs. Tarantino has said he only plans to do 2 more movies. He mentioned he wants to get into directing on the stage and this seems like the vehicle for it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
I feel like I liked "The Big Short" more than most. Top 10 liked.

It's a really hard movie to categorize.

You've got all those cameos, Ryan Gosling's crazy hair, Steve Carell...it's not over the top like The Wolf of Wall Street and while it does have Margot Robbie and Selena Gomez for 3-4 minutes, certainly not sexy, either.

It's a topic that everyone should try to understand, and maybe a lot of those who suffered or made in hindsight foolish financial mistakes should see just to remember so it doesn't happen again in their lifetimes.

There really wasn't a hero to cheer for. The movie suggests Carell/Baum, but to me it was Dr. Burry/Bale, who was admittedly more difficult to like than Steve Jobs at his worst.

I can't even imagine who they'd hire to play an Asian-American role for The Flash Boys (another Lewis novel)...he's actually closer to a hero than anyone here. Baum essentially still made his profits betting on people losing their homes and shorting the market. In the end, fiduciary responsibility won out.

And yet there also weren't many good villains, either...the condescending but generic big banks, those who kept rooting the market while Rome was burnin, Alan Greenspan and the CDO swap guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
Have you seen Stranger than Fiction? Farrell's most subdued role, and IMO his best performance.

I remember seeing Farrell in that role and being so confused that it wasn't comedic.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
I am with you here 100%. Only Tarantino movies I liked are Django and Reservoir Dogs.

Christoph Waltz was so good in Django he overshadowed how bad Jamie Fox was.

Christoph Waltz, in my opinion, is one of the top actors out there. He's the only reason I went and saw Spectre...and his scenes were the only ones I really enjoyed other than the Mexico City opening.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
I feel like I liked "The Big Short" more than most. Top 10 liked.

Being in a business that deals with CMO's and Swaps, I liked the way everything was handled. I thought it was a really well done movie. The acting was also well done, as I "know" many of those "characters" in real traders. They did a great job with the ego's of the right guys, and the odd quirkiness of others.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Being in a business that deals with CMO's and Swaps, I liked the way everything was handled. I thought it was a really well done movie. The acting was also well done, as I "know" many of those "characters" in real traders. They did a great job with the ego's of the right guys, and the odd quirkiness of others.

That's good to hear. It sounds like WallStreet just invents things to bring in money which is hard for me to comprehend.

It also was marketed wrong. Promos made it look like these guys hit it rich and live a party lifestyle and that isn't the case at all.

I'd listen to Margot Robbie in a bathtub all day.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
That's good to hear. It sounds like WallStreet just invents things to bring in money which is hard for me to comprehend.

It also was marketed wrong. Promos made it look like these guys hit it rich and live a party lifestyle and that isn't the case at all.

I'd listen to Margot Robbie in a bathtub all day.

To be fair, not many ordinary traders are investing in this stuff. This is WAY beyond your WallStreet101 type trader. I don't think the product itself was the problem. The biggest problem was wrong assumptions on the housing market creating an aura of no risk. In any trading environment if your risk modeling is wrong, you open the door to being a disaster.

The most damning parts of Big Short (the book) were the stories of the trader who made the huge trade on CDS that made the really douchey trader rich, and then basically retired after it all blew up with a nice buyout.

And the conversation in Las Vegas where they found the guy buying up all of the junkiest swaps.

Flashboys was nonsense.