**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
I really disliked that movie.

Maybe I'm just used to him as a comedian.

I liked it a lot. But it's quirky, I could see it being love or hate. I thought the three or four leads all put in great performances, and the storyline was fun.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
The most damning parts of Big Short (the book) were the stories of the trader who made the huge trade on CDS that made the really douchey trader rich, and then basically retired after it all blew up with a nice buyout.

And the conversation in Las Vegas where they found the guy buying up all of the junkiest swaps.

Flashboys was nonsense.

I actually picked up the book after seeing the movie. I have two other books to finish, but I am going to check it out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
Trumbo with Bryan Cranston is definitely worth checking out...

Meh. Cranston was good but I thought the direction was awful. I liked the timeline of events but some scenes were so short and pointless.

It odd because you have two directors known for comedy in Jay Roach and Adam McKay jump to something outside their norm in Trumbo and Big Short respectively.

I was meh on Trumbo but loved Big Short.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
I remember seeing Farrell in that role and being so confused that it wasn't comedic.

Christoph Waltz, in my opinion, is one of the top actors out there. He's the only reason I went and saw Spectre...and his scenes were the only ones I really enjoyed other than the Mexico City opening.

I actually was disappointed in Christoph's role in that movie, thought they limited him severely.

But yea, he's my favorite actor from the last few years, he can be outstanding.

"The Revenant" was excellent. Best direction and acting I've seen all year. Also best cinematography. Really felt in the scene between that and the way the fourth wall was broken a few times.

Leo will get the recognition but Tom Hardy continues to roll.

The movie dragged a bit from the two very exciting action sequences in the first 20-30 minutes...to the set up of the last two hours.

I thought it was an excellent film, epecially the cinematography, but not ready to give it best picture.

Previous films like Dances With Wolves and then also a number of revenge/vengeance-seeking themed ones just resonate a bit more imo, but it's definitely a movie you should try to see in the theatre.

It's likely the best shot for Leo's first Oscar....

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/2016-golden-gl...-153016723.html

Golden Globes predictions...

The Martian and the Big Short aren't your typical comedies...but not a huge Schumer fan, either.

Edited by caulfield12

Settled on my Top 10 for 2015. Went of of the box a bit but I'm hardcore.

10. Final Girls

9. 99 Homes

8. Big Short

7. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

6. Bridge of Spies

5. Revenant

4. Martian

3. Room

2. Ex Machina

1. Spotlight

99 Homes was excellent too, albeit depressing...will have to check out The Final Girls. We both presumably haven't seen zson of Saul, either.

Speaking of excellent...I love Terrence Malick as much as anyone, but Knight of Cups was just too out there.

2011 he was on the top of his game but To the Wonder and this one in particular seem like USC Film School productions albeit with completely brilliant cinematography.

Also, finally watched Star Wars in Imax and it sneaks into the back end of the top ten for me now...if for no other reason than nostalgia from watching the first three movies from 1977-1983 in the theatre with my father. Childhood memories, like many had with Jurassic Park this past summer. That and the John Williams score and the familiar rolling scroll at the beginning, haha.

Edited by caulfield12

Finally watched Age of Ultron. The silliness was strong with that one, even as superhero movies go. Found myself laughing and pointing a lot. Though Spader was quite good in combination with the nice work on Ultron's effects. That was perhaps the only highlight for me. The rest was disappointing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
It Follows is better than The Final Girls, although it has its share of 80's slasher flick satire moments.

I just had fun watching The Final Girls. Nothing artsy about it. It could've just been same old satire but the story with Max and her mom was solid.

I liked It Follows as well. You don't need CG or gore to make a great horror.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 05:05 AM)
I just had fun watching The Final Girls. Nothing artsy about it. It could've just been same old satire but the story with Max and her mom was solid.

I liked It Follows as well. You don't need CG or gore to make a great horror.

I did get a chuckle out of the Adderal-induced Cherry Pie faux "striptease" scene.

Malin Ackerman's always been underrated as a an actress because she began as a model.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 06:06 AM)
I did get a chuckle out of the Adderal-induced Cherry Pie faux "striptease" scene.

Malin Ackerman's always been underrated as a an actress because she began as a model.

And the last 30 secs is pretty great. Rewound it quite a few times.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
"The Revenant" was excellent. Best direction and acting I've seen all year. Also best cinematography. Really felt in the scene between that and the way the fourth wall was broken a few times.

Leo will get the recognition but Tom Hardy continues to roll.

It was pretty much 2 1/2 hours of mysmilie_736.gif

Finally saw the Big Short. That was tremendous.

I'm so amazed that I'm not sure I've seen a movie adapted so literally from the book (I mean conversations, characters, settings, etc), and I can't believe this is the Book I say that to.

Carrell was really good for that role. From afar, I thought he would play Bale's character.

Top Movies of 2016, subject to change due to older, faulty memory.

1. Mad Max

2. Spotlight

3. Brooklyn

4. Big Short

5. Star Wars

6. Creed

7. Sicario

Average movies I enjoyed my evening watching despite not being more than filler: Spectre, Trainwreck, Martian.

Actual best movie of decade: Aloha