**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
http://screenrant.com/x-men-apocalypse-alternate-design/

Bryan Singer made a bad decision when he chose NOT to use this designer for Apocalypse

An article I read made it sound like they did all the other costumes in the movie, which makes it even more of a head scratcher. But I do like the look they went with.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 3, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
An article I read made it sound like they did all the other costumes in the movie, which makes it even more of a head scratcher. But I do like the look they went with.

That look is f***ing terrible. Apocalypse should not look like Ivan Ooze

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
That look is f***ing terrible. Apocalypse should not look like Ivan Ooze

If the picture was corrected in post, no would be saying that.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/02/x-men...alypse-backlash

Apocalypse looks appropriate for that universe. And I love the alien feel to it.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 3, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
If the picture was corrected in post, no would be saying that.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/02/x-men...alypse-backlash

Apocalypse looks appropriate for that universe. And I love the alien feel to it.

He still looks like Ivan Ooze, even though they adjusted the color. He still looks f***ing awful

^still saying it, after post^

QUOTE (Brian @ May 3, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
He looks like an old man on dialysis and should look much bigger than Olivia Munn.

"So then people were like, 'He's small.' I'm like, 'Okay, I got the same s*** when I cast a six-foot-three actor to play five-foot-four Wolverine. I got the same s*** when Quicksilver's very sweet, 1970s costume was released on an Empire Magazine cover.' You know, every time. I could have made him a giant through the whole movie, or some muscle-bound guy who can't act -- I could always do that. But the reality is, among his many powers -- and you will see him change size -- but among his many powers is his power of persuasion, and it was very important that he'd be able to connect with his horsemen, at their level (size), and that he'd be played by a guy who can actually act like Oscar, who's a fantastic actor.” - Bryan Singer

You do see giant Apocalypse in the trailer.

I appreciate the Egyptian and alien feel to the costume and I really appreciate that a person of color is playing an Egyptian.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Brian @ May 8, 2016 -> 07:12 PM)
This looked intriguing until the overly CGI shark. Hope that is just rough effects. Was hoping they'd do it the Speilberg way and barely show it.

Sharknado 4? :lol:

Any movies besides "Eye in the Sky" worth checking out over the last 2-3 months?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)
Sharknado 4? :lol:

Any movies besides "Eye in the Sky" worth checking out over the last 2-3 months?

Sing Street is suppose to be really good.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
Have to see this. Liked Blue Ruin.

It's very high on my best of list so far.

I do wish that it used Patrick Stewart more. He didn't really have a signature moment.

Dunkirk will have the most expansive IMAX photography for any motion picture made to date. Dunkirk has been transported back to the 1940s and a bunch of the surviving warships are being used in the film. There's video on YouTube on the sets and they look spectacular

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 10, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
It's very high on my best of list so far.

I do wish that it used Patrick Stewart more. He didn't really have a signature moment.

I liked how quiet his performance was, I don't know about a singular moment where it transcends but I thought some of his best scenes were when he was negotiating with the band through the door. Both him and Yelchin turned in some strong work in those scenes. Agreed that it's one of the best of 2016 so far, really came out of that theater in knots. Last line in the film is GOAT.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 12, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
Assassin's Creed trailer.

With the exception of the Kanye track (who thought this was a sound artistic choice?) this looks dope.

I agree! I was pleasantly surprised that this didn't look like crap. Still think it might be for fans of the series only.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
I agree! I was pleasantly surprised that this didn't look like crap. Still think it might be for fans of the series only.

It looks great but I think the trailer could've been better suited towards the general audience.

I really like how Ubisoft Films adapt their properties. They start not with a script or a director but with casting their lead (Fassbender and Tom Hardy, who's playing Sam Fisher) and that actor becomes the auteur of the film. So with AC, Fassbender was the one who hired the director, Justin Kruzel (who directed him in Macbeth) and cast Marion Cotillard (who was also in Macbeth) and oversaw development of the script. It's very old school and that approach to developing a film isn't used anymore. I'm exited to see how it turns out.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 13, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
It looks great but I think the trailer could've been better suited towards the general audience.

I really like how Ubisoft Films adapt their properties. They start not with a script or a director but with casting their lead (Fassbender and Tom Hardy, who's playing Sam Fisher) and that actor becomes the auteur of the film. So with AC, Fassbender was the one who hired the director, Justin Kruzel (who directed him in Macbeth) and cast Marion Cotillard (who was also in Macbeth) and oversaw development of the script. It's very old school and that approach to developing a film isn't used anymore. I'm exited to see how it turns out.

You have successfully watered down the word auteur

Auteur and Assassin's Creed in the same post?

Things that make you go hmmm....

CRIMINAL with Kevin Costner was much better than the reviews give it credit for. Very nifty like CIA/global domination/action flick with Costner playing a baddie or ambiguous character much better than he does the hero.

Reunited Tommie Lee Jones, Gary Oldman and Costner from nearly a quarter century ago when those three were all in their primes. Also supporting work from Ryan Reynolds (bit part), Michael Pitt and Gal Gadot wasn't bad to look at, either. Interesting to see her in "domestic drama" scenes compared to just action.

Jones acted like he had just shown up for the paycheck, Oldman overracted the hell out of it in fine Nicholas Cage B movie fashion (Quaker Wells, London CIA Chief?) and Costner with his usual earnest approach (Jericho, another "movie" name) carried the film.

Worth a watch. Not sure about Self/less, which is also now playing in China. That might be too much Ryan Reynolds for one weekend.

Free State of Jones is the movie I'm most looking forward to...

Any historical/Civil War drama fans out there?

http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Born-Defense-B...t/dp/0982189915

Not sure how well this Nathan Bedford Forrest movie will do outside of the Deep South...

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/...ie-2912448.html

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Auteur and Assassin's Creed in the same post?

Things that make you go hmmm....

Auteur is another word for author and in this case Fassbender is the author of the film, like I said he put the whole thing together.

I didn't know it was some sacred word for you guys.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 16, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
Auteur is another word for author and in this case Fassbender is the author of the film, like I said he put the whole thing together.

I didn't know it was some sacred word for you guys.

It's not sacred for us man, it is for you. Any time you like a movie you call the director an auteur