John Heyman leaving CBS Sports

knightni

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
Yahoo Sports you'd have to believe is in danger as well with the company outside of Alibaba and Yahoo! Japan hemorraging money...

Not sure what you're referring to here or how this in any way related to yahoo, but Yahoo will be fine for the simple fact that their fantasy sports platforms will keep them alive. Far and away the best out there, IMO. Yahoo has never really been top in notch in terms of reporting.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
Not sure what you're referring to here or how this in any way related to yahoo, but Yahoo will be fine for the simple fact that their fantasy sports platforms will keep them alive. Far and away the best out there, IMO. Yahoo has never really been top in notch in terms of reporting.

Yahoo has some very heavy hitters. I do not know why they were brought up thou.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
Yahoo has some very heavy hitters. I do not know why they were brought up thou.

Because the actual company in the US basically has no or negative value in terms of its current stock market valuation.

At any rate, you might be right, the fantasy sports brand might well survive but not so sure about the columnists. Although a lot of the site itself is outsourced or linked to other content providers/partners.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
Because the actual company in the US basically has no or negative value in terms of its current stock market valuation.

At any rate, you might be right, the fantasy sports brand might well survive but not so sure about the columnists. Although a lot of the site itself is outsourced or linked to other content providers/partners.

You wrote "because" and then followed up with something that was not an explanation of why you decided talking about Yahoo. Are you aware this thread has nothing to do with China or Yahoo? Feel free to refer to the title of the thread for help.

15-20 years ago, The Sporting News, cnnsi and cbssports were three of the better sources out there for baseball content.

Now with ESPN losing top writers (see Simmons and Grantland) it is yet another indicator of the financial issues (related to overpaying for football and basketball deals and increased fees charged to providers passed down to subscribers) plaguing the industry.

It's also an interesting time with the proliferation of all the Twitter "experts" as well. I suppose it could have been developed into a whole bigger thesis and placed into financial news or the sports pub, but oh well.

If I worked for yahoo sports, i wouldn't be too comfortable about having a job a year from now either. At any rate, I couldn't find where all the Grantland comments were so I simply made one here. You're welcome to move it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
Nothing says great TV like trolls in their Mom's basement

There's actually a really nifty little documentary named "Finder's Keepers" that is symptomatic of this whole fame/attention malaise in America today.

I kid you not, the entire premise is all about a Southern "good 'ol boy" who buys a BBQ smoker at auction and ends up unsuspectingly with a man's lower leg/foot inside (strangely kept after an amputation...another part of the story), yet he refuses to give it back...instead hoping to profit from it and use the foot (he becomes the "Foot Man") as leverage to become famous.

At some point, you would think there would be a tipping point where people just got tired of it. But I'm not so sure. There's a saying..."anyone's autobiography could be a best-seller if you only found the right scribe to author it."

And, for every 50-100 trolls, there's one Chris Cotillo who becomes quite famous when he's only a university sophomore.

Edited by caulfield12