RHP, are we set or are we missing opportunities?

blackmooncreeping

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
How much was invested in Turner? And how many starts has Turner made in the bigs? Fine if he's an option, but he should just be one of multiple options, and hopefully he's not the best fallback option you've got or you've fallen short imo.

He's making $1.5 million. That's literally the exact same amount the Dodgers signed Beachy for - except it's non-guaranteed for Beachy (with options).

Given $1.5 million to play with, the White Sox signed Turner and the Dodgers signed Beachy,.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
He's making $1.5 million. That's literally the exact same amount the Dodgers signed Beachy for - except it's non-guaranteed for Beachy (with options).

Given $1.5 million to play with, the White Sox signed Turner and the Dodgers signed Beachy,.

Didn't Beachy have two UCL replacement surgeries? If so, the Sox made the correct choice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)

Serious question here, who would you rather have for 1.5 million if they are side-by-side and unsigned/available?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Serious question here, who would you rather have for 1.5 million if they are side-by-side and unsigned/available?

Probably Turner. He is going to be turning 25 in a month or so, and was a top of the line prospect not long ago.

But, I think the medical people would make the final decision.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Didn't Beachy have two UCL replacement surgeries? If so, the Sox made the correct choice.

Yes he did. I'm glad you brought that up, I had forgotten about Beachy having two TJ surgeries. Rolling the dice with Turner just might be the better alternative.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
Edwin Jackson and Brandon Beachy are 2 starting RHP's that have been signed for next to nothing in the past week, $1.5 million-ish a year I believe. Either could've potentially been a good get to the back end of our rotation which has big question marks in the 4th and 5th slots as we stand. Is the front office too focused on one of the FA outfielders that they are missing cheap opportunities to improve at the very least our pitching depth? Food for thought...

yes..... the sox are blowing it with all the good work they did to redo this team.

there are plenty of good temp sp .... sp who are RHP that the sox could have picked up for depth sp's......

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
yes..... the sox are blowing it with all the good work they did to redo this team.

there are plenty of good temp sp .... sp who are RHP that the sox could have picked up for depth sp's......

Not signing Beachy or Jackson is not blowing it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)

The Sox blew it because they didn't sign retreads? Ugh.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
and you may have a point, i think i mention other viable options. not just them.

I didn't see any others posted. Latos or Fister would be intriguing but they're in a higher class then EJax.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
We have 3 proven starters (counting Rodon as a proven starter), then the rest is a big question mark in terms of what kind of production we'll see. My point is if you are going for it with the infield upgrades and possibly OF upgrades as well, you better have dependable starting pitching. Not sure we are there in terms of quality depth yet, and I believe a proven starting RHP would go a long way to stabilizing the rotation.

Look, the Sox need more starting pitching depth, I'm not gonna argue that. What I'm saying is the 5 in the rotation are set, regardless of whether that's for the reason that those guys are the best guys available or for non-performance related reasons. Again, Danks is in because of his contract (whether we think that should be the case or not) and Johnson is in because if you think he might be a viable major league starting pitcher, at age 26, the time to find that out is more or less now or never.

Given that the Sox already signed Turner to 1.5 million/ 1 year deal; they are far and away better than the rest of the league at keeping their pitchers (and position players for that matter) healthy; don't have an open spot in their rotation (like the Marlins did for E-Jax); and don't have a basically unlimited budget (like the Dodgers did), signing a player like E-Jax or Beachy to a major league contract is just probably not a move that makes sense for them right now.

The big problem here is the costs for clear upgrades at SS (Desmond), SP (Kennedy, Gallardo, Chen, Fister, Latos) and outfield (Span, Parra, Fowler, Jackson maybe) are going to cost more than Gordon for any combination of two together, with the possible exceptions of Jackson/Parra and one of the weaker pitchers.

Then the draft picks issue, unless you're willing to risk waiting for a player to have June spring training, like Drew and Morales suffered through offensive rhythm/adjustment-wise.

And still it will push the payroll to the $140-145 million range without a clear "marketing bump" due to the disappointment of missing on Cespedes, Gordon and Upton.

Then, that team absolutely has to perform well out of the gate. Major sell offs will be close to impossible since 2017 is absolutely looking like the best year to compete right now. (Assuming Anderson and Fulmer progress as projected and money coming off books is spent wisely on trade targets or Carlos Gomez, who's already lesser than Eaton and declining).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
The big problem here is the costs for clear upgrades at SS (Desmond), SP (Kennedy, Gallardo, Chen, Fister, Latos) and outfield (Span, Parra, Fowler, Jackson maybe) are going to cost more than Gordon for any combination of two together, with the possible exceptions of Jackson/Parra and one of the weaker pitchers.

Haven't you been advocating going after SS/OF/SP as a trio instead of one of the big 3 for the last two weeks?

QUOTE (JRL @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
Look, the Sox need more starting pitching depth, I'm not gonna argue that. What I'm saying is the 5 in the rotation are set, regardless of whether that's for the reason that those guys are the best guys available or for non-performance related reasons. Again, Danks is in because of his contract (whether we think that should be the case or not) and Johnson is in because if you think he might be a viable major league starting pitcher, at age 26, the time to find that out is more or less now or never.

Given that the Sox already signed Turner to 1.5 million/ 1 year deal; they are far and away better than the rest of the league at keeping their pitchers (and position players for that matter) healthy; don't have an open spot in their rotation (like the Marlins did for E-Jax); and don't have a basically unlimited budget (like the Dodgers did), signing a player like E-Jax or Beachy to a major league contract is just probably not a move that makes sense for them right now.

I am not sold that Erik Johnson is our 5th starter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Haven't you been advocating going after SS/OF/SP as a trio instead of one of the big 3 for the last two weeks?

Yes, but would be shocked if JR signed off on this plan...that's actually what I suggested KC do as well, since they're under much less pressure from their fanbase. That World Series bought them five years of good will and patience at least. Maybe even more with two consecutive appearances. I think having Gordon around near the end of his career is going to be used as an additional sales point for their broadcasting rights negotiations which hit the same time as the White Sox.

Sox don't have the luxury of asking for fans to wait much longer. Then you have the Cubs sucking air out of the balloon as well.

KW hasn't made quality moves that actually worked out like that since 2004-2005 and 2007-2008.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:45 PM)
If he isn't they should trade him before ST.

with all due respect, why???

just get another depth sp and go into ST with a handful of sp's and let them all compete for their role on the team. instead of giving a position and hope they will perform.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
with all due respect, why???

Because if EJ can't be a decent MLB starter and they don't think he can be, then having him or Turner in the rotation the whole year will be a disaster for a team that keeps telling itself it is competitive and having EJ demonstrate to the league that he's not a quality big league starter would leave his trade value comparable to that of Avi Garcia by the end of next season whereas you could probably get someone to gamble something useful on him in a trade right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:05 AM)
Because if EJ can't be a decent MLB starter and they don't think he can be, then having him or Turner in the rotation the whole year will be a disaster for a team that keeps telling itself it is competitive and having EJ demonstrate to the league that he's not a quality big league starter would leave his trade value comparable to that of Avi Garcia by the end of next season whereas you could probably get someone to gamble something useful on him in a trade right now.

excellent point.

but again my question is as to ej being traded before ST..... within those parameters, i am asking why ??? why trade him prior to ST???

let them sort it out in spring training, that is my point.

Because if Johnson fails in the big leagues this time around, and his stuff isn't there...then basically he has sunk or diminished whatever trade value he had remaining to below Micah Johnson level.

Not to mention it forces us to use Turner/Beck as the 5th starter or into an overpay situation via trade or possibly a free agent pitcher that's still dangling unsigned for whatever reason.

The last thing they can afford to do is rush Fulmer or Danish up to the big leagues and throw them to the wolves when they're in an all-in/competitive environment and the microscope will be on those guys to perform every time out, as opposed to "development" years like the Cubs, Astros, Pirates, Royals, Mets, Rays, Twins, A's, etc., have had building back up to competitive teams.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
Because if Johnson fails in the big leagues this time around, and his stuff isn't there...then basically he has sunk or diminished whatever trade value he had remaining to below Micah Johnson level.

Not to mention it forces us to use Turner/Beck as the 5th starter or into an overpay situation via trade or possibly a free agent pitcher that's still dangling unsigned for whatever reason.

The last thing they can afford to do is rush Fulmer or Danish up to the big leagues and throw them to the wolves when they're in an all-in/competitive environment and the microscope will be on those guys to perform every time out, as opposed to "development" years like the Cubs, Astros, Pirates, Royals, Mets, Rays, Twins, A's, etc., have had building back up to competitive teams.

Bronson Arroyo! Who's with me?!?!?