2016-2017 NFL Thread

Yea there is a gag order on it for both of them now. His book comments were the last comments he made about her.

Its strange, on one hand i agree that this is over and done with, it was public record (although rarely spoken of) and nobody said anything until he won the superbowl this season. One the other hand, he and UT destroyed this womans reputation. You cant get that back, i feel bad for her

If I understand this correctly, it's not Peyton's victim who filed this lawsuit. Her matters were settled years ago. Other similar victims are bringing this suit as a Title IX violation by the university. Probably bringing up Peyton as a tactic to get a bigger settlement out of UT.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
If I understand this correctly, it's not Peyton's victim who filed this lawsuit. Her matters were settled years ago. Other similar victims are bringing this suit as a Title IX violation by the university. Probably bringing up Peyton as a tactic to get a bigger settlement out of UT.

Yes, Peyton's matter is settled. But it is being brought out because of the lawsuit and all of the sudden people are realizing what really happened (ass/nuts on her face) as opposed to the story that was circulated (mooning). Coupled with the recent story about Manning maybe/maybe not getting HGH, just a bad time for Peyton's PR

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
While I'm not sure how I feel about the Manning stuff, it's amazing how little airplay it is getting on ESPN.

Just more proof ESPN is an arm of the NFL.

Come on, they covered the s*** out of Ray Rice, DeflateGate, etc. None of those were favorable stories for the NFL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
ESPN has and will coverup articles to protect certain elements and they will likely continue to. Of course the one item I know about them keeping quiet (covering up might be the wrong word, rather decide not to cover), isn't near to the extent of what is happening here. You'd think Sports Illustrated or a competitor would be all over something like this though (if there were serious legs to it). The article was pretty damning (presuming all the information contained within it is true).

According to Whitlock (consider the source), the writer of that article is a known liar. He's a white dude that complains all the time about treatment of black athletes. Apparently Whitlock was going to hire him for his ESPN site but they couldn't substantiate a lot of stories he told, so they moved on. edit: this was all on the dan patrick show this morning.

The whole thing was a hitpiece that brings up crap from 15 years ago. And the underyling premise is that the media doesn't talk enough about white athletes like they do black athletes.

Of course the huge missing component to that argument is the coverage of Kobe Bryant. This is his swan song season and i've not heard or read a word about Colorado in any of the stuff about him. He was celebrated last night, just like Peyton was celebrated after the SB. Pretty similar treatment.

second edit: and really, it looks pretty bad and it's pretty terrible, don't get me wrong, but it's the dumb, immature prank of a 17-18 year old putting his junk on a trainers face. Quite different from other acts we've seen and heard about, like some girl getting raped by a star QB and the entire school and community laughing her out of town.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
According to Whitlock (consider the source), the writer of that article is a known liar. He's a white dude that complains all the time about treatment of black athletes. Apparently Whitlock was going to hire him for his ESPN site but they couldn't substantiate a lot of stories he told, so they moved on.

The whole thing was a hitpiece that brings up crap from 15 years ago. And the underyling premise is that the media doesn't talk enough about white athletes like they do black athletes.

Of course the huge missing component to that argument is the coverage of Kobe Bryant. This is his swan song season and i've not heard or read a word about Colorado in any of the stuff about him. He was celebrated last night, just like Peyton was celebrated after the SB. Pretty similar treatment.

One big difference in all of that is Kobe took all of the heat and than some at the time of the Colorado incident. I don't recall Peyton ever really having to take any heat for this, so I think that makes the circumstances different. Like I said, I know nothing about the reporter, but if those aren't the facts, they should be canned and never get a job, and if they are the facts, than I can think of a lot of reasons it never grew, whether it was Tennessee looking the other way and/or eventually ESPN knowing that the ultimate piece would not be in there best interest.

Just because Ray Rice got a lot of press doesn't mean others don't. And the Ray Rice incident truly blew up because of the video footage (yes the act got him in trouble but it was the video evidence of the act that really pushed things over...now the reality is the video shouldn't have made a difference, but nonetheless it did). Just look at all the stuff Winston has had to deal with and to be frank I'm surprised no one put a comparison between what Manning dealt with related to that incident vs. what Winston deal with for his.

I don't know the actual facts and I sure as s*** am not going to read that whole thing (waste of my time) but if there is truth to this, than I think Manning should get raked over the coals for his actions. Should we ignore Cosby for his actions because of statute of limitations, hell no.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
According to Whitlock (consider the source), the writer of that article is a known liar. He's a white dude that complains all the time about treatment of black athletes. Apparently Whitlock was going to hire him for his ESPN site but they couldn't substantiate a lot of stories he told, so they moved on. edit: this was all on the dan patrick show this morning.

second edit: and really, it looks pretty bad and it's pretty terrible, don't get me wrong, but it's the dumb, immature prank of a 17-18 year old putting his junk on a trainers face. Quite different from other acts we've seen and heard about, like some girl getting raped by a star QB and the entire school and community laughing her out of town.

The trainer got laughed out of town

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)

Dude...throwing your junk and ass (fully exposed) in the face of some girl is way cross the lines of any normal 17-18 year old behavior. I This is actually putting it on there physical face. Yeah, I can't think of that as a "normal" teen prank.

And than the actual coverup and lie. What fact pattern they have behind the university trying to blame a black player, but the quotes in this thing are pretty damning (of the lack of evidence between Manning's claims and reality, including lots of first hand responses who all side against Peyton). Its even worse if they tried to actually get another athlete to take the fall for Manning.

Yes, Peyton's matter is settled. But it is being brought out because of the lawsuit and all of the sudden people are realizing what really happened (ass/nuts on her face) as opposed to the story that was circulated (mooning). Coupled with the recent story about Manning maybe/maybe not getting HGH, just a bad time for Peyton's PR

I'm not condoning what he did but 1) it was 20 years ago and 2) the victim has received her day in court (even if it was civil and not criminal).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
One big difference in all of that is Kobe took all of the heat and than some at the time of the Colorado incident. I don't recall Peyton ever really having to take any heat for this, so I think that makes the circumstances different. Like I said, I know nothing about the reporter, but if those aren't the facts, they should be canned and never get a job, and if they are the facts, than I can think of a lot of reasons it never grew, whether it was Tennessee looking the other way and/or eventually ESPN knowing that the ultimate piece would not be in there best interest.

Just because Ray Rice got a lot of press doesn't mean others don't. And the Ray Rice incident truly blew up because of the video footage (yes the act got him in trouble but it was the video evidence of the act that really pushed things over...now the reality is the video shouldn't have made a difference, but nonetheless it did). Just look at all the stuff Winston has had to deal with and to be frank I'm surprised no one put a comparison between what Manning dealt with related to that incident vs. what Winston deal with for his.

I don't know the actual facts and I sure as s*** am not going to read that whole thing (waste of my time) but if there is truth to this, than I think Manning should get raked over the coals for his actions. Should we ignore Cosby for his actions because of statute of limitations, hell no.

Random reading about this story (e.g., http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/...brigade-021316) suggests that this was covered in Tennessee back in the day, via papers and the radio. I'm not sure even in 2015 that something like that would be covered nationally. Again, on a spectrum, it's no where close to rape allegations. It's a terrible prank, and at least originally, it sounds like what exactly happened (mooning vs. full on mushroom stamp) was debated.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Dude...throwing your junk and ass (fully exposed) in the face of some girl is way cross the lines of any normal 17-18 year old behavior. I This is actually putting it on there physical face. Yeah, I can't think of that as a "normal" teen prank.

And than the actual coverup and lie. What fact pattern they have behind the university trying to blame a black player, but the quotes in this thing are pretty damning (of the lack of evidence between Manning's claims and reality, including lots of first hand responses who all side against Peyton). Its even worse if they tried to actually get another athlete to take the fall for Manning.

It's not normal, but again, on a spectrum, it's not national headline news either.

The coverup and lie are s***ty, no denying that. I just don't get why we're bringing this up. King is because he thinks Peyton and Newton are treated differently, so he's drudging up past incidents.

And for the record I f***ing hate Peyton Manning, and all the Mannings really, so I take no pleasure in "defending" him here. If we don't hear about him or Cam Newton's press conferences from here on out i'd be a very happy person.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
I'm not condoning what he did but 1) it was 20 years ago and 2) the victim has received her day in court (even if it was civil and not criminal).

And to be clear I'm not saying that Manning should be re tried, it just changed my opinion of him a great deal.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
Random reading about this story (e.g., http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/...brigade-021316) suggests that this was covered in Tennessee back in the day, via papers and the radio. I'm not sure even in 2015 that something like that would be covered nationally. Again, on a spectrum, it's no where close to rape allegations. It's a terrible prank, and at least originally, it sounds like what exactly happened (mooning vs. full on mushroom stamp) was debated.

I think the context is where the distinction needs to be drawn.

Doing this in the context of a frat party is one thing...doing this to a professional trainer in this context is quite another.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
It's not normal, but again, on a spectrum, it's not national headline news either.

The coverup and lie are s***ty, no denying that. I just don't get why we're bringing this up. King is because he thinks Peyton and Newton are treated differently, so he's drudging up past incidents.

And for the record I f***ing hate Peyton Manning, and all the Mannings really, so I take no pleasure in "defending" him here. If we don't hear about him or Cam Newton's press conferences from here on out i'd be a very happy person.

Jameis Winston stealing f***ing crab legs was national news. I find it preposterous that this wouldn't have been national news. Preposterous. Peyton Manning had to be one of the most covered college QB's ever (along with Tebow).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)

It looked to me that it was covered from the perspective that Manning made up a lot of s*** and accused her of stuff that was false, not really the other way around. The university and mannings basically took to the offensive and the essential story was this vulguar person who had it out for Peyton Manning accusing him of something (and I don't even know if it went to the point)...more just ripped her to shreds and ruined her career (unjustifiably).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
Jameis Winston stealing f***ing crab legs was national news. I find it preposterous that this wouldn't have been national news. Preposterous. Peyton Manning had to be one of the most covered college QB's ever (along with Tebow).

yeah but wasn't that AFTER he was made famous by rape allegations?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
I think the context is where the distinction needs to be drawn.

Doing this in the context of a frat party is one thing...doing this to a professional trainer in this context is quite another.

Sure, just keep in mind you're talking about a freshman start football player in a locker room in 1995 or whatever. I'm not saying it was right or that it was acceptable or that it should have been glossed over. I'm just saying in the grand scheme of terrible things football players have done, it's not really high on the list.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
It looked to me that it was covered from the perspective that Manning made up a lot of s*** and accused her of stuff that was false, not really the other way around. The university and mannings basically took to the offensive and the essential story was this vulguar person who had it out for Peyton Manning accusing him of something (and I don't even know if it went to the point)...more just ripped her to shreds and ruined her career (unjustifiably).

Read the foxsports article I linked. Some additional facts about the whole thing are provided, like the change in her original complaint and the eventual lawsuit allegations.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
It was after those allegations, although he was already famous.

Right, so that makes sense. He's already being covered for something far worse and it went one for quite a while. He became a name. Not to mention he was a national champ and heisman finalist at the time those allegations came out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Read the foxsports article I linked. Some additional facts about the whole thing are provided, like the change in her original complaint and the eventual lawsuit allegations.

It would be nice if people gathered actual facts and made their own decision rather than relying on King's hack piece. But that's probably too much effort to ask of folks. The FoxSports article does a pretty good job of showing how her story changed.

Mike Florio also has a pretty good article discussing how completely incorrect Shaun King was:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...peyton-manning/

Also, check out pages 7 and 8 in the below link. This is from a completely different court case that was brought about by Peyton's accuser. Naughright seems to have a penchant for suing people.

https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/New_York_...eiss_et_al/114/

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)

This is NBC on the recent "news"

"Before going any farther, it’s important to understand what the 74-page document is, and what it isn’t. The 74-page document is a piece of advocacy. The 74-page document is something that was written by the lawyers representing Jamie Ann Naughright in her defamation case against the Mannings. The 74-page document is, necessarily, one-sided.

The 74-page document is not objective. The 74-page document is not supposed to be objective. The 74-page document is not a court order or any other decision made by a neutral party. And, ultimately, the 74-page document is incomplete without comparing it to the corresponding “Facts of the Case” document submitted by the defendants in the case."

No self-respecting source was gonna stand behind this which is why it took a liar like Shaun King to author it and the New York Daily News to publish it.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
It would be nice if people gathered actual facts and made their own decision rather than relying on King's hack piece. But that's probably too much effort to ask of folks. The FoxSports article does a pretty good job of showing how her story changed.

Mike Florio also has a pretty good article discussing how completely incorrect Shaun King was:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...peyton-manning/

Also, check out pages 7 and 8 in the below link. This is from a completely different court case that was brought about by Peyton's accuser. Naughright seems to have a penchant for suing people.

https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/New_York_...eiss_et_al/114/

To be fair, when your career is sabotaged twice without fault of your own, I would imagine one would tend to become familiar with filing lawsuits. It is essentially the only recourse she had.