2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tony @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:18 AM)
In genuinely curious what goes on in the head of fathom when the Sox and Cubs are basically the two best teams in baseball. Your head has to be exploding. :)

Loving this season so far, as Cubs success was absolutely expected.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:37 AM)
That's fair. I enjoy watching them if there is nothing else on, hard to argue the Cubs aren't fun to watch.

Most annoying part about Cubs season is just how little competition they face on most nights in the NL

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Pirates continue to play like absolute trash. Dropped fly by McCutchen leads to 3 runs.

By fly ball, fathom means an absolute laser off the bat of Rizzo. Should of it been caught? Yeah, probably, but I think it was knuckling and hit 100+ mph.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 4, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
By fly ball, fathom means an absolute laser off the bat of Rizzo. Should of it been caught? Yeah, probably, but I think it was knuckling and hit 100+ mph.

Just going off of twitter with Pirates fans flipping out about their defense the last 4 days.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
Just going off of twitter with Pirates fans flipping out about their defense the last 4 days.

Ahh ok. Yeah, it was a rocket. Next batter, Zobrist hits a 3 run bomb. Next batter, Harrison bobbles one at 2B and Baez beats it out.

Ahh ok. Yeah, it was a rocket. Next batter, Zobrist hits a 3 run bomb. Next batter, Harrison bobbles one at 2B and Baez beats it out.

If you consume much NL baseball this is pretty much what it looks like. It's an embarrassment, the NBA stepped in and put an end to Hinkie's "process" but the NL is allowed to turn into a AAA league and nobody bats an eye. Absolutely ridiculous what the senior circuit has become, and its not good for the game.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
If you consume much NL baseball this is pretty much what it looks like. It's an embarrassment, the NBA stepped in and put an end to Hinkie's "process" but the NL is allowed to turn into a AAA league and nobody bats an eye. Absolutely ridiculous what the senior circuit has become, and its not good for the game.

The teams that are doing it are smart though. Need to get really bad to get really good. Especially if your team resides in Milwaukee or Cincinnati.

The teams that are doing it are smart though. Need to get really bad to get really good. Especially if your team resides in Milwaukee or Cincinnati.

Its not smart. Nobody in Cincinnati or Milwaukee wants to watch that crap, young people aren't tuning it to watch teams go through a "process" for 4 years. These franchises are killing themselves and people are lauding them for it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
Cubs up 4-0 again. Looks like the theory that they can only beat crappy teams doesn't apply.

Althought I agree they're good and can't only beat crappy teams, Pitt has played pretty damn bad this series.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 4, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
Cubs up 4-0 again. Looks like the theory that they can only beat crappy teams doesn't apply.

Pirates are looking to be a fairly average team this year. They're really missing power in the middle of their order.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
The nationals or mets will take care of them. :ph34r:

I do have to say that while the AL is deeper, I'd much rather be in the AL playoffs than the NL playoffs. The Cubs could face DeGrom/Thor/Harvey in a 5-game series, then have the Nats with Scherzer/Strasburg/Gio. And don't forget about Bumgarner & the Giants in an even year. The Dodgers aren't as good, but I bet they add another pitcher to Kershaw.

There's no teams like that in the AL IMO. It's much tougher to make the playoffs in the AL, but fewer major land mines once you get to the random championship generator that is October baseball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I do have to say that while the AL is deeper, I'd much rather be in the AL playoffs than the NL playoffs. The Cubs could face DeGrom/Thor/Harvey in a 5-game series, then have the Nats with Scherzer/Strasburg/Gio. And don't forget about Bumgarner & the Giants in an even year. The Dodgers aren't as good, but I bet they add another pitcher to Kershaw.

There's no teams like that in the AL IMO. It's much tougher to make the playoffs in the AL, but fewer major land mines once you get to the random championship generator that is October baseball.

Sale, Quintana and Rodon...?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
Sale, Quintana and Rodon...?

Ha. I guess I was more looking at it from the Cubs' and Sox' perspective, so I didn't include them. But yeah, I've said it all along, this team has had the potential to win the World Series, it just hasn't been good enough to make the playoffs.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
As can Sale-Quintana

My plan is for the Sox to sweep them in the WS. Or the Sox win the WS and the cubs do not make it. Local media would s*** a brick if that happened.

Edited by whitesoxjr27

AL lineups are absolute death marches right now, I doubt the Mets, Nationals and Cubs would be boasting these all world staffs if they had to face this stretch of the Sox are in the midst of.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Its not smart. Nobody in Cincinnati or Milwaukee wants to watch that crap, young people aren't tuning it to watch teams go through a "process" for 4 years. These franchises are killing themselves and people are lauding them for it.

IT doesn't matter though. Those fans will come back when the Reds and Brewers draft cornerstone players that will be part of their next winning team. Patching holes to go 81-81 in a great division is bad business. You disagree with "tanking". I don't. I think it's their only choice.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Pirates are looking to be a fairly average team this year. They're really missing power in the middle of their order.

The Pirates are 2nd in the NL in offense behind the Cubs and came in as the #1 offense in the NL. They just ran into a great Cubs team.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 4, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
AL lineups are absolute death marches right now, I doubt the Mets, Nationals and Cubs would be boasting these all world staffs if they had to face this stretch of the Sox are in the midst of.

Their numbers would be a little worse in the AL, but they would still be the most talented rotations in all of baseball, NL or not. Guys like Scherzer and Lester more than proved themselves in the AL.