2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let’s say you’re a family of four sitting where I sat Thursday night, in a field-box seat about 35 rows behind home plate. Four tickets cost a total of $280. Mom and Dad have two craft beers each, totaling $36. Four hot dogs cost a combined $23. But who eats just one hot dog (certainly not Telander, whose press-box record is 12)? Let’s double it to $46. Soft drinks for the two kids come to $9. Buy them some ice cream for not spilling the drinks on the bro and his girlfriend sitting in front of you. That’s another $10. Parking sets you back at least $25.

That adds up to $406. Hey, there’s no law that says those two young kids have to go to college.

The prices at Wrigley are ridiculous but not so ridiculous that Thursday’s announced crowd of 37,564 decided to stay home. In other words, I can shake my head at how much it costs to go to a game and ask what it means for the future of the republic, but the fact is that people keep spending.

There are either a lot of folks with money or a lot of folks with a lot of credit-card debt.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/on-ejec...-wrigley-field/

Funniest part of the story was not wanting to be a "peeping Tom" in the urinals or not wanting to make eye contact with the man/boys across from you when peeing at the urinal island in the middle of the restrooms...

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 7, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)
Kang came back yesterday and hit 2 homers for the Pirates. On days he plays short for them, I really really like the Pirates lineup 1-8. Maybe they can add a power bat somewhere or trade for another arm in June/July.

I hope they're not competing with us for the same bat you speak of because they can offer a much better package for a rebuilding team than the Sox can.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 6, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
The positive thing is, pretty much their whole team is due for a ton of regression. The entire pitching staff specifically.

They can be .500 the rest of the season and win 89 games.

That won't happen. They'll win over 100.

And yeah, this is a long term deal. The Cubs aren't the Sox. The Cubs TV network will literally print money and they'll re-sign everybody. Think Blackhawks with no Salary Cap.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 7, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
They can be .500 the rest of the season and win 89 games.

That won't happen. They'll win over 100.

And yeah, this is a long term deal. The Cubs aren't the Sox. The Cubs TV network will literally print money and they'll re-sign everybody. Think Blackhawks with no Salary Cap.

Sad, but true man.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 7, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
This is what "fast forward to the postseason" looks like. This team looks like it's going to run and hide.

For sure. Automatic postseason for these guys. They might as well not even play the regular season to be honest.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ May 7, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
For sure. Automatic postseason for these guys. They might as well not even play the regular season to be honest.

I wouldn't go that far, and it's still baseball, so anything can happen and the risk of playing your guys is generally less than something like hockey. I just can't believe they keep winning the way they do.

QUOTE (Tmar @ May 7, 2016 -> 06:45 PM)
Odd how no chalk kicked up, maybe the cubs make their foul lines out of thermoplastic striping? That ball was foul.

That's not the rule. The ball hit Harper before hitting the ground. The question wasn't "where did the ball hit the ground?", it was "did the ball hit Harper in fair territory?". The umpire thought the ball hit Harper's arm in fair territory, called it fair, and there was insufficient evidence to overturn the call.