Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
They asked Shark about it, and while he tried to stay out of it, just said that was White Sox business, but said the kid was a great kid, like a mini clubbie who didn't get paid, always working, cleaning spikes, picking up around the clubhouse, he agreed with you and thought the problem was because it wasn't handled by the players. Maddon said on the Cubs, this type of thing would be a players issue he wants no part of.

And the quotes by Sale on day 1 line up with this as he didn't think it was KW's call because he wasn't in the clubhouse enough to determine clubhouse issues.

If the players were to handle this issue can you imagine the division in the clubhouse. At least now everyone is mad at KW and not at each other among the players and coaches.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
Could be. It seems it would not take much to get KW to erupt. That might get a lot of people. But if KW wasn't BSing and saying this had to be done now because it is about the next guy who wants all access, how does he explain the locker and uniform? Shouldn't that have been the first to go? Sale said KW couldn't keep his story straight, that he had 3 versions, and KW gave even another to the press, which totally omitted telling LaRoche the kid would have zero access. It is pretty apparent KW wasn't being straight. It might not be the "bald" face lies as Sale referred, but they were statements that KW tried to make himself look like he handled this better than he did.

That is exactly what Laroche did as well.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
If the players were to handle this issue can you imagine the division in the clubhouse. At least now everyone is mad at KW and not at each other among the players and coaches.

Oh by the way, I'm done with this issue. We seem to be going in circles. On to baseball talk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
"We lost a leader in Drake LaRoche " -Adam Eaton on the Score

What a joke. I don't even want to root for these guys anymore. Drake is at home with his Dad. Eaton makes it sound like he died from cancer

all this stuff, stemming from last yr of stirring the drink to the social media bs says it all to me, he is a megalomaniac who needs to be in the constant limelight.

comon, right after a club house situation, he is tweeting???

QUOTE (Saufley @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
Oh by the way, I'm done with this issue. We seem to be going in circles. On to baseball talk.

I hope it's over after this weekend. Sale vs Kershaw today. That's what we should be enjoying with 16 days until Opening Night.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
And then they changed their mind. Which is their right

No it's not to most. Again read what chairman Reinsdorf had to say when he called a press conference after Horace Grant verbally agreed to a contract extension, but realized things change, and backed out.

Weren't most people critical of DeAndre Jordan last summer? I would love to see if things change was mentioned in that thread.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
He is probably saying that for the kids benefit. There is a lot of crap flying but I think people are realizing a 14 year old kid is unfairly in the middle of this, and is in a can't win situation.

He knows at least someone is bothered by him with the White Sox. He knows his dad quit his job, something he loved because of it. Take these little things that Eaton and Sale are throwing out there for what they are. Something the kid will eventually see and appreciate.

and those to blame are name sale and eaton and AL for letting it happen instead of dialing it back

QUOTE (Saufley @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)

i know, i am missing all the rpt of which players are doing great which are stinking it up, the pitchers performing and not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
He is probably saying that for the kids benefit. There is a lot of crap flying but I think people are realizing a 14 year old kid is unfairly in the middle of this, and is in a can't win situation.

He knows at least someone is bothered by him with the White Sox. He knows his dad quit his job, something he loved because of it. Take these little things that Eaton and Sale are throwing out there for what they are. Something the kid will eventually see and appreciate.

If they really are concerned about the kid, they need to stop dragging him into this. What a joke.

Secondly, as to bucket's post about safety, agreed that this should have been mentioned earlier. The safety issue, particularly in light of the issues which have occurred around the game in the last several years, would have been a very clean way to handle this mess. Many people would have likely sniffed through it, but it wouldn't have been able to have been challenged like it has. There are clear safety and liability issues created with a 14 year old being on the field during drills.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
it doesn't matter, this is a direct directive from the boss. any other reaction from an employee is called insubordination.

anyway when did the employee dictate to the bosses.

100% agree with this. And didnt JR tell EVERYONE to zip it? What the hell is Eaton doing continuing to blab to the media? Player rep or not, the friggin owner told you to STFU.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
eaton basically said he thinks the sox are planting the story that players complained about drake.

If he didn't get approval to be on after yesterday, he should be suspended for saying this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
If he didn't get approval to be on after yesterday, he should be suspended for saying this.

and if this is a union rep talking, what happen to the privacy act of 1972 that ensures that anything dealing with management has the privacy act to protect both parties.

i will repeat myself, where is AL legal team doing nothing..... b/c eaton and sale by default are using this for their own agenda.

On what other team in the majors could two players like Eaton and Sale say whatever they wanted about management to the media and via Twitter and expect no repercussions?

Is Eaton speaking "on behalf of the team" as the player rep or because there is soon to be a grievance filed...or he's only speaking for himself?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
I'm not a big fan of KW but it does appear as though he took one for the team here. The complaining players and coaches would probably feel like assholes if they approached a father to complain about the father's son, I would too. Also, it seems like the complainers didn't want to cause an uproar in the clubhouse and upset the chemistry between the players so they anonymously went to KW about Drake. At this point, what is KW supposed to do? Take the side of one player and his son or take the side of multiple players/coaches? Tough spot for KW and I wouldn't want to have to make that decision.

One sticking point for me is the percieved "lying" KW did to the players. According to LaRoche's own words, he would handle the situation if any players, coaches or managers had a problem with all the time Drake spent with the team. Well, last I knew, KW is a manager. He approached LaRoche about the subject to which LaRoche ignored it for an additional 3-4 days. LaRoche doesn't sound as though he tried to help the situation one bit when he ignored the request of the manager. Apparently it was LaRoche's way or the highway, he chose the highway.

In the end I feel everyone involved could have handled this better.

1) KW should have kept his cool the second time he went to LaRoche

2) LaRoche should have at least tried to scale things back after the first talk with KW. He should have adhered to his end of the agreement ( according to his own statement) instead of the my way or the highway nonsense. Typical fight or flight response, bye bye birdy. Go ahead and and go home, Eric Cartman.

3) Sale should have kept his big mouth shut about a clubhouse issue instead of whining to the media in an effort to pled someone's case for them.

4) Eaton, same as Sale. Eaton should reconsider the amount of time he spends on Twitter. Interesting how all of his tweets from Thursday were deleted.

5) Maybe the complaining players/coaches should have tried talking to LaRoche first, although I can see how that would be difficult to do. Tough spot but if the kid being around that often bothers them that much then maybe, in hindsight, it would have been the best first step instead of going to KW.

Spot on

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
100% agree with this. And didnt JR tell EVERYONE to zip it? What the hell is Eaton doing continuing to blab to the media? Player rep or not, the friggin owner told you to STFU.

then eaton is obligated to hand this off to the main pr-team that the union employs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)

What a joke. I don't even want to root for these guys anymore. Drake is at home with his Dad. Eaton makes it sound like he died from cancer

The lack of maturity among some of the players is embarrassing. If these guys stumble out of the gate again this spring, I'll be spending more time biking and less time watching games.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
If they really are concerned about the kid, they need to stop dragging him into this. What a joke.

Secondly, as to bucket's post about safety, agreed that this should have been mentioned earlier. The safety issue, particularly in light of the issues which have occurred around the game in the last several years, would have been a very clean way to handle this mess. Many people would have likely sniffed through it, but it wouldn't have been able to have been challenged like it has. There are clear safety and liability issues created with a 14 year old being on the field during drills.

It depends on the drill. They made it seem like he was on the mound and balls were flying all around him, but maybe it was a base running drill and just seeing him pissed KW off.

It is obvious that safety and liability weren't the issue or they would have pulled him off the field totally, not just asked that he "dial it back" because even doing that, the issue remains.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
No it's not to most. Again read what chairman Reinsdorf had to say when he called a press conference after Horace Grant verbally agreed to a contract extension, but realized things change, and backed out.

Weren't most people critical of DeAndre Jordan last summer? I would love to see if things change was mentioned in that thread.

It is absolutely their right to make changes to anything that affects their organization in a perceived negative fashion, especially on something like this. Laroche should've gotten it in writing if it was so important to him. He can choose to retire, life is full of choices, but NO organization is going to be dictated to by a single player, period.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)

You mean Eaton is a clown?

Who could have known?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
It depends on the drill. They made it seem like he was on the mound and balls were flying all around him, but maybe it was a base running drill and just seeing him pissed KW off.

It is obvious that safety and liability weren't the issue or they would have pulled him off the field totally, not just asked that he "dial it back" because even doing that, the issue remains.

but does that justify sale and eaton doing their thing ????

i am done with this main point of the debate, unless there is something else outside this excuse.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
but does that justify sale and eaton doing their thing ????

i am done with this main point of the debate, unless there is something else outside this excuse.

It is 'merica. People, for the most part, are free to say what they chose.