Your new Supreme Court nominee is....

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Divided for sure.  Elections have consequences.  People need to get out and vote if they don't like the current trajectory.

Between gerrymandering, voter suppression, low voter turnout, one party making up rules as they go along (see: Merrick Garland), etc. I still feel that it's completely broken.  The "just get out there and vote!" line doesn't really do it for me anymore.

I think the lying so casually is significant but I see Jenks point that the topic of the lies can seem so frivelous to outside observers. Just say out loud "he lied about how much he drank as a teenager", and it starts to feel weightless, though it certainly should lower his credibility to discuss how he didn't commit this assault.

That's why I wish they would have had some line of questioning about how he responded to the allegations.

2 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

Between gerrymandering, voter suppression, low voter turnout, one party making up rules as they go along (see: Merrick Garland), etc. I still feel that it's completely broken.  The "just get out there and vote!" line doesn't really do it for me anymore.

Lower voter turnout and 80,000 people in the rust belt gave President Trump.

80,000 people.  That's it!

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

What I don't understand is if the lady isn't sure of the time, place, who drove her home, who else was there. How can she say for 100 percent certainty it was kavanaugh? Why didn't that dumbass prosecutor followup with that question?

Why didn't they follow up and ask if someone paid for her polygraph is anyone paying for her lawyers? Anyone paying for testimony? Could not be true but the question should have been asked.

Also the question should have been asked why she has never went to the police even after her decided to pursue her allegation why was her first  contact congress (democrat) and the media? Not a LEO?

I have no idea if her claims actually were credible. She wasn't challenged on the shifting numbers, times, or place it occurred., She wasn't challenged at all. Brett was I guess that is what it means to be a man in America.

They did ask who was paying for her lawyers and the lawyers interjected they were working pro-bono. I believe one of them actually left his law firm in order to represent her.

And, interestingly as she noted...not being able to remember 100% all the details of a traumatic experience like an attempted assault is the way the brain normally handles these things even when there is no alcohol involved, and it's used as an incredibly common way to minimize reporting and punishment of sexual assault.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think the lying so casually is significant but I see Jenks point that the topic of the lies can seem so frivelous to outside observers. Just say out loud "he lied about how much he drank as a teenager", and it starts to feel weightless, though it certainly should lower his credibility to discuss how he didn't commit this assault.

That's why I wish they would have had some line of questioning about how he responded to the allegations.

Considering the crime of which he is being accused occurred as a teenager and his alleged victim portrayed him as intoxicated, being a teenage drunk is very significant, and lying about it speaks volumes.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

They did ask who was paying for her lawyers and the lawyers interjected they were working pro-bono. 

And, interestingly as she noted...not being able to remember 100% all the details of a traumatic experience like an attempted assault is the way the brain normally handles these things even when there is no alcohol involved, and it's used as an incredibly common way to minimize reporting and punishment of sexual assault.

You talk about the time, place, and who else was there like it is the color of the drapes the information is central to her claim and the information related to her lawyers is very specific I was talking more broadly. I would have asked if she received a tangible benefit or the promise of one as it relates to her accusation if the answer was no it makes her testimony all the more powerful. If the answer is yes then it calls things into question regardless it was an answer the American public deserved to know.

Edited by wrathofhahn

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Considering the crime of which he is being accused occurred as a teenager and his alleged victim portrayed him as intoxicated, being a teenage drunk is very significant, and lying about it speaks volumes.

He also seemingly lied about a number of other things in his initial hearing.  Seems like everyone forgot about that.  This guy is a complete joke.

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

You talk about the time, place, and who else was there like it is the color of the drapes the information is central to her claim and the information related to her lawyers is very specific I was talking more broadly. I would have asked if she received a tangible benefit or the promise of one as it relates to her accusation if the answer was no it makes her testimony all the more powerful. If the answer is yes then it calls things into question regardless it was an answer the American public deserved to know.

What you're asking for is information the brain won't record. The fact that people demand this information and the brain will not record it during the trauma is therefore used as a way to deny that the traumatic event happened. And that set of demands has the effective result of legalizing rape.

What you're asking for is information the brain won't record. The fact that people demand this information and the brain will not record it during the trauma is therefore used as a way to deny that the traumatic event happened. And that set of demands has the effective result of legalizing rape.

That set of demands doesn't legitimize anything except due process for both the accuser and the accused. If you can't name the time, place, or who was there or really anything including who drove you there and who drove you back then I don't care about a bunch of mumbo jumbo speak from quacks. There really isn't anything to consider all of Cosby accusers could name the time, place, when it happened and they were drugged. They went to the police not their democratic congresswoman. That is how it's supposed to be done.

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

That set of demands doesn't legitimize anything except due process for both the accuser and the accused. If you can't name the time, place, or who was there or really anything including who drove you there and who drove you back then I don't care about a bunch of mumbo jumbo speak from quacks. There really isn't anything to consider all of Cosby accusers could name the time, place, when it happened and they were drugged. They went to the police not their democratic congresswoman. That is how it's supposed to be done.

And that's why so many men get away with rape.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

So if Kavanaugh didn't do it, why did he lie about so many other things? It's not uncommon for women not to report it. 

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Under questioning by Cosby’s attorney, Angela Agrusa, Constand had to admit that the date of the alleged sexual assault included in her first police report was off by several weeks.

But in later police interviews, she said the alleged assault took place in January 2004 — not after a dinner out, but during a one-on-one visit to Cosby’s home to discuss her career plans.

Agrusa displayed phone records that showed Constand was actually talking with friends much of the evening of March 16. Then the diminutive attorney peppered Constand with questions that were tough for her to answer"

“You changed your story,” Agrusa said, without drawing a response from Constand, 44, a former operations director for the Temple University women’s basketball team.

Moments later, Agrusa returned to the police report, saying: “You told a very different story.”

“Well,” Constand said in a calm and measured voice. “You just summed it up.”

Bill Cosby's case literally does not meet the standard you just outlined.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

So if Kavanaugh didn't do it, why did he lie about so many other things?

And that's why so many men get away with rape.

People get away with a great many things for a variety of reasons. The American justice system is not perfect.

But what is the alternative? We engage in show trials like we've seen with Kavanaugh where instead of the focus being on the law and what you can prove it's instead of what you believe and the American public gives the thumbs up or thumbs down depending on their politics?

Or maybe we should go back to the age of frontier justice where a wife or relative makes a claim then we go round up a posse to deal with them. No thanks. I like due process. I like the idea everyone is innocent until proven guilty. I think we've evolved since those days

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

People get away with a great many things for a variety of reasons. The American justice system is not perfect.

But what is the alternative? We engage in show trials like we've seen with Kavanaugh where instead of the focus being on the law and what you can prove it's instead of what you believe and the American public gives the thumbs up or thumbs down depending on their politics?

Or maybe we should go back to the age of frontier justice where a wife or relative makes a claim then we go round up a posse to deal with them. No thanks. I like due process. I like the idea everyone is innocent until proven guilty. I think we've evolved since those days

Umm, this was a job interview (which I'd say was an absolute trainwreck for this particular guy), not an actual trial.

Edited by BigSqwert
  • Like 1

Kavanaugh isn't going to jail. This incredible punishment was that he wouldn't be confirmed for one of 9 positions on the US supreme court.

Nobody is entitled to that. And considering it's a lifetime position, you want to be sure you don't put anyone on there that could be embroiled in scandal.

• Like 1

Just now, BigSqwert said:

Umm, this was a job interview, not an actual trial.

It was a show trial.

And if you admit the claims are not provable in a real court of law what are we talking about? Why proceed with the farce at all? It certainly isn'ty in the interest of justice for Ford or Kavanaugh

Edited by wrathofhahn

Can anyone in here imagine if this exact set of allegations was towards Barack Obama while he was serving? The GOP would have wanted him tarred and feathered. An endless amount of investigations would have occurred. People like wrathofkahn would suddenly believe the victim no matter what. 

Just now, BigSqwert said:

Can anyone in here imagine if this exact set of allegations was towards Barack Obama while he was serving? The GOP would have wanted him tarred and feathered. An endless amount of investigations would have occurred. People like wrathofkahn would suddenly believe the victim no matter what. 

It just amazes me how partisan we have become.  People see everything through their eyes of their party versus right and wrong. 

58 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

If yesterday showed anything, we certainly haven't evolved since 1991.

There are 9 justices on the Supreme Court. They get lifetime appointments. There are far more fit conservative candidates that could do that job. But instead, we get the judicial Trump. Sexual, financial, lies, just like the guy who nominated him to assure he won't be indicted. 

I would guess you think Addison Russell's ex wife is BSing too since she didn't come forward right away and he is denying everything.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

That is true in American Society up until the point that someone is arrested or an alleged crime committed is made public. At that point, everyone is guilty until proven innocent, not in the eyes of the law but in the court of public opinion. And that is how it is set up. People need to take that into account. 

When it comes to Sexual Assault of any kind, statistics show that 98% of allegations are true. Based on that, I choose to believe the alleged victim until the evidence shows that they shouldn't be believed. I do believe that those that make false allegations need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. 

Edited by Jack Parkman