NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Yeah, when you shoot for an NBA guy, that's what happens. You get turned down. If you don't get turned down, you're not aiming high enough.

Get over this Illinois "woe is me" narrative. It's nauseating.

Aiming high? lol. Yeah, his program ended up with Groce because how many candidates didn't even want to talk to them last time around? They can aim as high as they want, it won't make this a super-attractive job.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
Aiming high? lol. Yeah, his program ended up with Groce because how many candidates didn't even want to talk to them last time around? They can aim as high as they want, it won't make this a super-attractive job.

Two. Two candidates turned down Illinois. One is coach of the 2 seed in the Eastern conference of the NBA. The other is struggling terribly at Texas.

It's certainly a top 25 job.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
Two. Two candidates turned down Illinois. One is coach of the 2 seed in the Eastern conference of the NBA. The other is struggling terribly at Texas.

It's certainly a top 25 job.

Coaches wouldn't leave Butler and VCU for Illinois, that is pretty much my point, though I am pretty sure there were more than that who weren't even interested publicly. EDIT: Pretty sure Martin was connected at one point and flat out said no.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Coaches wouldn't leave Butler and VCU for Illinois, that is pretty much my point, though I am pretty sure there were more than that who weren't even interested publicly. EDIT: Pretty sure Martin was connected at one point and flat out said no.

Different AD this time around...

Oh please, you're worse than caufield. Stevens knew he had bigger dreams than going to a bigger college. Shaka went to Texas, which looks like a mistake now.I'm still not sure what your problem is.

Illinois fans are the worst. I say this as one.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
Oh please, you're worse than caufield. Stevens knew he had bigger dreams than going to a bigger college. Shaka went to Texas, which looks like a mistake now.I'm still not sure what your problem is.

Illinois fans are the worst. I say this as one.

I am anything but an Illinois fan. It is hard to find stuff from five years ago, but this is something. We are now up to six coaches with no interest from the same coaching search. And retrospect isn't valid here. It is how coaches view the Illinois job in the moment, not if Smart made the right choice.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/21/hog...is-turn-to-now/

Hamilton, no interest.

Collins wanted NW, would have interest in IL if nothing else came up.

Grant, no interest

They had a lot to do with some coaches not wanting to work under Mike Thomas AD than not wanting the Illinois job at the time.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
Mike Thomas: Bad hire or worst hire?

Worst hire when he left Cincinnati for Illinois they threw a party. Brian Kelly hated him and had nothing good to say about him.

Edited by Soxfest

Illinois is viewed highly by coaches. Doesn't mean you get the coach you want every time, they aren't a blue blood like Kentucky/Kansas/UNC/DUke/UCLA, but it's a program that every coach picks up their phone too.

But in that tier, there are a lot of other programs! So, is Illinois a great basketball job? Of course it is! Is it so good that you aren't competing with any other programs? No.

Mizzou is same boat, and like U of I, finally cleared itself of a lot of Athletic Director/Booster problems that held down previous hires.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
I am anything but an Illinois fan. It is hard to find stuff from five years ago, but this is something. We are now up to six coaches with no interest from the same coaching search. And retrospect isn't valid here. It is how coaches view the Illinois job in the moment, not if Smart made the right choice.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/21/hog...is-turn-to-now/

Hamilton, no interest.

Collins wanted NW, would have interest in IL if nothing else came up.

Grant, no interest

Wait, where do you get your "no interest" information from? Stevens said no because of the NBA (and in a podcast with Simmons basically said he'd only coach at Butler if he ever went back, which he won't) and Shaka said no for whatever reason and then decided to go Texas. Everything else is rumor. Who was the guy that repeatedly would come out and say he wasn't interested in the Illinois job even though Illinois had no interest in him? Are you including him in that list of 6??

Groce was a hot name at the time he was hired. He was on the short list of many schools. He had just taken his mid-major program to the sweet sixteen and was about 10 seconds away from beating North Carolina to get to the elite eight. He had great ties to the Big Ten (OSU) and was known as a good recruiter, which he basically proved.

I was thrilled with his hire. I thought it was an excellent choice. Thomas did the right thing going for the home run and he didn't get it so he hit a double to the gap instead.

Illinois is a top 25 job. Period. 10 years ago it was a top 10 job. If you don't believe that you're just a hater.

I think Illinois getting turned down a lot is more a function in how the coaching game is different today than it was 10+ years ago. Guys at lower level schools can make millions while still being able to make deep tournament runs every year. You don't need to be at a high major school to be a wealthy or successful coach anymore, so guys have extremely short lists of "dream job" type locations that they would leave their comfortable situations for.

I've heard Gregg Marshall is actually pretty open to listening after his current team got snubbed with a 10 seed. Will that mean he ends up at Illinois? Probably not. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at an Indiana or something, though.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
I think Illinois getting turned down a lot is more a function in how the coaching game is different today than it was 10+ years ago. Guys at lower level schools can make millions while still being able to make deep tournament runs every year. You don't need to be at a high major school to be a wealthy or successful coach anymore, so guys have extremely short lists of "dream job" type locations that they would leave their comfortable situations for.

I've heard Gregg Marshall is actually pretty open to listening after his current team got snubbed with a 10 seed. Will that mean he ends up at Illinois? Probably not. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at an Indiana or something, though.

Good point. When Wichita State can pay a coach 1.5 million, you are basically only leaving for a good situation.

Marshall always listens, but now that his kids are in college, I think he would leave for a big payday.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
Good point. When Wichita State can pay a coach 1.5 million, you are basically only leaving for a good situation.

Marshall always listens, but now that his kids are in college, I think he would leave for a big payday.

I believe he actually makes more than double that, due to the Koch brothers.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
I believe he actually makes more than double that, due to the Koch brothers.

He makes 3.3. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if he goes to Illinois but I don't see it. But I've been wrong in this thread once or 428483928492 billion times.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
He makes 3.3. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if he goes to Illinois but I don't see it. But I've been wrong in this thread once or 428483928492 billion times.

I wouldn't be surprised if he moves soon. Illinois could be it, I don't think he'd jive well with a blue blood, he likes to play underdog role.

But, not sure this is the year. Not sure Illinois is the program.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)

I don't think so either, though it does sound like they're going to try.