NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Knowing Alford semi-personally, he was a very trusting guy. Still to this day I fully believe that the kid fed him a line of BS, and he bought it, and stuck up for him. He would have also done it for the last guy on the roster. I personally saw him do it for other kids. He really buys into the father figure thing.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/04/03/ber...-lying-at-ucla/

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
This. I'm definitely Team Alford to Indiana. I'd be surprised if the resident Indiana fans on this board agreed.

He'd recruit well, especially in the midwest/indiana area and that would hurt Illinois, but for the most part he still hasn't gotten the results to match the recruiting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)

So Alford can't be believed but the lawyer for the victim is a neutral source?

And, unfortunately, many innocent people agree to plea deals. Alford was lied to. He believed his player. You can't fault him for that. The only thing that killed Alford in Iowa wasn't that the kid did this, he basically did it again. If he didn't have the second problem, he still may be coaching the Hawkeyes.

Dan Bernstein, the guy who talks about female sport's reporters chest sizes as the moral police is a bit rich.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
He'd recruit well, especially in the midwest/indiana area and that would hurt Illinois, but for the most part he still hasn't gotten the results to match the recruiting.

I think he would recruit Indiana well, maybe better than anyone has ever done. The rest of the Midwest I am not buying. Is basically having your pick of Indiana's best enough to get them to where they want to be?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
I think he would recruit Indiana well, maybe better than anyone has ever done. The rest of the Midwest I am not buying. Is basically having your pick of Indiana's best enough to get them to where they want to be?

If you included LaLumiere in that list, it makes a pretty big difference. I think he can get some more work done in the area too if he wins something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
If you included LaLumiere in that list, it makes a pretty big difference. I think he can get some more work done in the area too if he wins something.

There's been some small rumors that the HC at LaLu, Shane Heirman, would be interested in an assistant job at Illinois. That may not be a possibility with the new hire but would he really seems like a good coach/recruiter and would be a solid hire. Plus, Bowen is still not committed, he could follow.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
There's been some small rumors that the HC at LaLu, Shane Heirman, would be interested in an assistant job at Illinois. That may not be a possibility with the new hire but would he really seems like a good coach/recruiter and would be a solid hire. Plus, Bowen is still not committed, he could follow.

I am a big fan of that guy. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him as a college coach very soon.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)

I think we'd all be in favor of IU hiring a complete scumbag.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Almost every name that has been "connected" with Illinois so far I'd rather have than Alford. Obviously who knows how much truth there are to these rumors but that's my opinion on that.

So you are saying every coach tied to Illinois is a better coach then Alford? I can rip on Alford, but he has UCLA in a really strong place. He's a much better candidate (at this point) then anyone UCLA is looking at.

Scott Drew keeps popping up as someone who would be interested in the Illinois job, I'm torn on him. He is a fantastic recruiter, decent coach, and turned that Baylor program into something. As far as coaches go, he would be a great fit for those attributes. But, his somewhat gray past/reputation (whether fair or not) still stands out, and would go against what Whitman would look for in a coach.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
Scott Drew keeps popping up as someone who would be interested in the Illinois job, I'm torn on him. He is a fantastic recruiter, decent coach, and turned that Baylor program into something. As far as coaches go, he would be a great fit for those attributes. But, his somewhat gray past/reputation (whether fair or not) still stands out, and would go against what Whitman would look for in a coach.

Scott Drew has a high floor in terms of on-court results. He hasn't gotten Baylor over the hump, but I'd love to get back to the days of 2-4 seeds and frustration over not getting past the Sweet 16/Elite 8. Scott Drew seems very gettable for Illinois, and, unless Indiana swoops in (unlikely), he'll be there if Illinois misses out on the Marshall/Bennett/Archie Miller tier. Strike out on those guys, and I think Scott Drew should be the next coach.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
So you are saying every coach tied to Illinois is a better coach then Alford? I can rip on Alford, but he has UCLA in a really strong place. He's a much better candidate (at this point) then anyone UCLA is looking at.

I'd rather have Bennett, Marshall or Archie Miller than Alford...yes. Those were the 3 I was talking about.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)

Given that I just made the following post in another thread, I say hard pass on Scott Drew.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
It's only halftime, but I'm already regretting betting on a Scott Drew coached time in my survivor pool.

Apparently Piper just came out with a premium article that is a "pipe bomb" for the Illinois Head Coach search. Anybody have a summary of it?

EDIT: Rumors swirling that Archie Miller to Illinois could be a real thing.....

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Initial reaction by national writers is positive, calling it a steal. That's good. I didn't even know who he was.

If you look at his coaching record it pretty much speaks for itself. Took a team that averaged 65 ppg over the past two years to 85 ppg and #1 in Ken pom offense. Also read that he Knows Walker and will try to keep him.