Is Avi Putting It Together?

Dunt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avi is quickly burning through his last few chances to remain on the 25 man roster. That's too bad but realistically, the Sox have known that they would need a Left Hand bat, preferably one that could at least platoon at DH.

I am more concerned with Alex Avila's struggles because DH is easier to replace than catcher. . Navarro isn't much better but in a clutch situation, I'd rather have Navarro up instead of Avila. Ventura keeps sending Avila out there thinking he will turn it around. Maybe he is right. In any case, those two spots in the batting order ( catcher and DH) present a similar problem to the one we had last year with Flowers and El Roach .

Tonight's game might get rained out. If it does, we lost 2/3, and if it doesn't and we lose 3/4, how many series will that we make that we have lost since we started tanking? It's been painful watching the team struggle like this. I only hope they turn it around, because 4th place is well within sight now.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 25, 2016 -> 06:45 AM)
Avi is quickly burning through his last few chances to remain on the 25 man roster. That's too bad but realistically, the Sox have known that they would need a Left Hand bat, preferably one that could at least platoon at DH.

I am more concerned with Alex Avila's struggles because DH is easier to replace than catcher. . Navarro isn't much better but in a clutch situation, I'd rather have Navarro up instead of Avila. Ventura keeps sending Avila out there thinking he will turn it around. Maybe he is right. In any case, those two spots in the batting order ( catcher and DH) present a similar problem to the one we had last year with Flowers and El Roach .

Tonight's game might get rained out. If it does, we lost 2/3, and if it doesn't and we lose 3/4, how many series will that we make that we have lost since we started tanking? It's been painful watching the team struggle like this. I only hope they turn it around, because 4th place is well within sight now.

Ventura doesn't send him out there because he thinks he will turn it around. He's out there strictly to handle the pitching staff.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
Ventura doesn't send him out there because he thinks he will turn it around. He's out there strictly to handle the pitching staff.

I think he has failed miserably in that regard as well. I can think back on several pitches he called for in key situations during this losing streak, which coincided pretty much with when Avila came off the DL. And never forget, "handling the pitching staff" is an excuse that wer were given as to why Flowers was here for years on end.

Avila appears to be worse than Flowers in every metric.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 25, 2016 -> 06:45 AM)

DH is a way bigger issue than Avila. Everyone has bad catchers. DH is much easier to upgrade.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
DH is a way bigger issue than Avila. Everyone has bad catchers. DH is much easier to upgrade.

The Jerry Sands experiment really needs to end. I think they should give Hayes a shot and see what he's got and if that doesnt work, go outside the organization.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
The Jerry Sands experiment really needs to end. I think they should give Hayes a shot and see what he's got and if that doesnt work, go outside the organization.

Delmonico's promotion to Charlotte is interesting. He was a former top prospect that seems to have figured something out and is only 23. Delmonico and Hayes both at Charlotte. Davidson is also playing well along with Coats.

Agreed...and expensive as hell to acquire if you can't develop your own.

Look at how much McCann got from the Yankees, Wieters will (after a healthy year) this offseason (and he's been something of a disappointment compared to his advance hype), Russell Martin and Cervelli....the asking price for Lucroy (although they might have to include him and Braun together to not have to pay for 25-50% of the remainder of Braun's deal), etc.

One of the biggest failures of our minor league system the past 20-30 years has been consistent failure in developing a catcher/leader.

We kind of lucked into AJ at the right time and place...fortunately for the 2005 team. But you can't count on that to happen every decade.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
Agreed...and expensive as hell to acquire if you can't develop your own.

Look at how much McCann got from the Yankees, Wieters will (after a healthy year) this offseason (and he's been something of a disappointment compared to his advance hype), Russell Martin and Cervelli....the asking price for Lucroy (although they might have to include him and Braun together to not have to pay for 25-50% of the remainder of Braun's deal), etc.

One of the biggest failures of our minor league system the past 20-30 years has been consistent failure in developing a catcher/leader.

We kind of lucked into AJ at the right time and place...fortunately for the 2005 team. But you can't count on that to happen every decade.

I expect Rick Hahn favorite Jason Castro to be a top free agent target of the White Sox. May even try to trade for him if Astros sell.

Not sure it's worth it for a catcher averaging a 1.4ish war the last three seasons.

His age is the main factor in his favor, but there should be little faith/hope/confidence in our coaching staff to "fix" him offensively any more than they can do so with Avila or Jackson.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
Delmonico's promotion to Charlotte is interesting. He was a former top prospect that seems to have figured something out and is only 23. Delmonico and Hayes both at Charlotte. Davidson is also playing well along with Coats.

Yup. I think there are too many options worth checking out in AAA to keep throwing ABs away on the likes of a Avi/Sands platoon. I would start out with Hayes or Coats and go down from there. Davidson seems to be re-establishing himself a little bit, but that K% needs to drop below 30. I'd like to see Delmonico get some time in AAA before he gets moved up.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
Why Garcia is not in AAA, he has options, to play outfield and try to figure things out is beyond me.

Because the Sox arguably don't have a better DH option right now, and because Avi was hitting well in late April and early May.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 25, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Because the Sox arguably don't have a better DH option right now, and because Avi was hitting well in late April and early May.

His base running? Well that's a different matter isn't it? LOL.

Mark

I can't wait until he strings together 4-5 games in a row of solid hitting and there's another new thread that asks "Has Avi finally turned the corner as a hitter?"

He is what he is at this point. A very bad defender and base runner and mediocre at best/streaky hitter.