5/10 - White Sox @ Rangers Game Thread

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:30 PM)
Just some more thoughts on the abortion tonight. Still so pissed off I'm shaking.

Now we'll see if the bubble bursts.

Ventura lost this game, flat out lost it with his bullpen usage.

Here's the way I look at it. I know Robertson pitched Sunday and Monday. I know Jones has pitched a lot but WITH AN OFF DAY THURSDAY and having to face Cole Hamels in an afternoon game after an extra inning game on Monday and after a long game Tuesday because of the delay you do EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO DO TO WIN THE GAME and take the series. Period.

You can not lose this game and the Sox did it in spectacular fashion.

Letting Carroll go back out there, a guy who has no business being in the major leagues also didn't help matters.

Just a devastating loss. I'm speechless right now.

They REALLY need Latos to pitch well Wednesday, have got to have it...and it may not matter even if he does, Hamels has won 11 consecutive decisions, one off the Rangers record.

Mark

Albers was terrible ok, Rua is a scrub against RHP . No reason to give up a HR in a key situation like that and at that to a BENCH PLAYER. Our top relievers were bad last night also.

With Latos probably not going more than 5 or 6 tomorrow I can understand trying to give some guys a rest Albers, Jones and Robertson are gassed.

Edited by soxforlife05

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:40 PM)
One thing I think most of us agree on is that the Sox should be looking to the system or outside for a 4th outfielder to replace Sands and a better long reliever than Carroll.

They should be DFA'd.

But honestly last night we probably should've lost and today we should've won. End results weren't predictable with either game but we are 1-1 anyway. No reason to let it spiral out of control.

We are still in position to take a road series against a playoff contender.

Edited by soxforlife05

Alright already, I know, hindsight is 20 / 20 but I have a question about the last out in the top of the 8th, I believe. I think Lawrie was forced out at second base for the third out. It looked like he was safe or that the call was close enough to challenge, at least to me. If overturned that would have extended our inning with two men on.

I was expecting a challenge by Ventura but it appeared as though he either saw the play clearly enough to not challenge, or perhaps he felt that the night was long and it was the 8th and we had a big lead. Maybe he simply exercised poor judgment. Did anyone else note that?

I wish I could see the play again because maybe I am mis-remembering this and I apologize if that is the case.

I just hate to give up a possible chance to score runs by not challenging close plays.

Edited by miracleon35th

Gotta get some things off my chest from past couple nights.

Carlos Rodon: Has been below par for some time now. Our 1-2 starters are awesome. Our 4-5 are giant questions. So 3 is the key. A 13-11 with continued improvement and 3.50 is what i expect from someone who has already shown he can do it and is supposed to be developing to be frontline starter. Tonight's outing was p** poor. While some turn it up with runners on, he gives hin. Command command command.

REALLY hate tonight's loss considering Latos due for implosion against good pitcher tomorrow and now a very tired pen who cannot bail him out.

Scott Carroll: It was the pitchers' mound, right, Scott?

Rest: Have Frazier, Lawrie or Abreu had a single day off all year? That'll start to show at some point.

Rollins: Can not bunt. 4 fouls yesterday including a K on bunts.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 11, 2016 -> 12:26 AM)
Alright already, I know, hindsight is 20 / 20 but I have a question about the last out in the top of the 8th, I believe. I think Lawrie was forced out at second base for the third out. It looked like he was safe or that the call was close enough to challenge, at least to me. If overturned that would have extended our inning with two men on.

I was expecting a challenge by Ventura but it appeared as though he either saw the play clearly enough to not challenge, or perhaps he felt that the night was long and it was the 8th and we had a big lead. Maybe he simply exercised poor judgment. Did anyone else note that?

I wish I could see the play again because maybe I am mis-remembering this and I apologize if that is the case.

I just hate to give up a possible chance to score runs by not challenging close plays.

Lawrie was ruled safe at 2B on the field and Texas challenged and it was reversed.

You were thinking of the close play at 1B that they didn't challenge. Would've left 1st and 2nd with 2 out if overturned.

Yeah, you wonder how long Eaton can play at this pace without breaking down as well...

Of course, the alternative of putting Sands or Avisail Garcia out in LF or RF is too scary to consider. Part of the reason they're now missing JB Shuck, at least he could competently play the OF, pinch run, decent PHer, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

One more thing:

Can someone please tell Hawk how to turn his phone to vibrate or silence? How many times do we have to hear his text alert during a broadcast? This has been going on for a couple seasons. Never hear it during Beneti's so you know it's Hawk's. So annoying. And i'm a Hawk fan.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:30 AM)
Just some more thoughts on the abortion tonight. Still so pissed off I'm shaking.

Here's the way I look at it. I know Robertson pitched Sunday and Monday. I know Jones has pitched a lot but WITH AN OFF DAY THURSDAY and having to face Cole Hamels in an afternoon game after an extra inning game on Monday and after a long game Tuesday because of the delay you do EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO DO TO WIN THE GAME and take the series. Period.

Letting Carroll go back out there, a guy who has no business being in the major leagues also didn't help matters.

They REALLY need Latos to pitch well Wednesday, have got to have it...and it may not matter even if he does, Hamels has won 11 consecutive decisions, one off the Rangers record.

Mark

That is a great post. Robin and the Sox wear clown suits tonight. It was a horrible horrible loss. Worst imaginable loss. We'll see if we flop or not. You are right. They really did need to hold the 5 run lead in the eighth and win the series cause tomorrow odds of winning are about 20-80 after this game.

I love how people are saying Rodon pitched well tonight. If we didn't have a lead when he left, NO ONE would think that. if he left down 6-2 he'd be enemy #1.

1 win

4.5 walks per nine

44 hits in 39 innings

gets behind, loses focus, no command.

needs to be better. much better.

QUOTE (ronkark @ May 11, 2016 -> 12:52 AM)
I love how people are saying Rodon pitched well tonight. If we didn't have a lead when he left, NO ONE would think that. if he left down 6-2 he'd be enemy #1.

1 win

4.5 walks per nine

44 hits in 39 innings

gets behind, loses focus, no command.

needs to be better. much better.

I've said this a couple times now but I thought he looked very solid the first 2 starts of the year and just hasn't been the same after the 1/3 inning debacle. It's completely a confidence thing with him he has the stuff. I saw him in spring training this year and he was completely unhittable.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 11, 2016 -> 01:42 AM)
Lawrie was ruled safe at 2B on the field and Texas challenged and it was reversed.

You were thinking of the close play at 1B that they didn't challenge. Would've left 1st and 2nd with 2 out if overturned.

Thanks, that must have been it. It was Garcia I believe who was called out. Anyway, the inning was over and the broadcast cut to commercial so fast that I did not see if there was that typical procedure that they follow in the dugout to determine whether to challenge.

Hawk said something like, "OK I guess they are not going to challenge" and that kind of bothered me since they did not show a replay.

A brutal loss but in the grand scheme of things. hopefully this falls under the 60 losses(Hawk's 60 wins and 60 losses analogy), not what you do with the 42 in the middle. If this team plays .500 ball the rest of the way, it is still an 87 win team, so those wanting to jump off the bandwagon, go drink a Dr. Pepper and relax. Things will be alright.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 11, 2016 -> 12:30 AM)

Mark

Lol. Devastating loss while in first place. In May.

Game is a must win, burn the bullpen because of a single day off. So much fail in one post.

Edited by RockRaines

We can rationalize it by saying we've beaten the Rangers six games in a row...that we didn't really have a right to win the first game (despite two blown saves), everything evens out over 162, etc.

Lip's point was that you can't give away a 5 run lead (especially on the road in Texas, where no lead is safe) with your worst pitcher on the mound...leaving him out there 1-2 batters too long.

Sure, you can let Carroll start the inning, but once you get to Mazara and have a RHP/LHB match-up, you have to pull the plug and use Duke/Albers/Putnam.

Mazara was hitting lefties at a 630 OPS clip and righties at 895. It's just logic to go with Duke there, THEN Albers or Putnam.

And in the end, we burned even more of the pen than if we had just gone to Albers/Duke in the first place because all of those pitches for Albers were high-stress pitches...and he looked pretty fatigued, so if the goal was to preserve the bullpen in defeat, we didn't really manage to do that effectively, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:58 AM)
I went to bed when the Sox were winning 10-5. How in the world did they give up SEVEN runs in the 8th inning? Holy hell.

Thankfully it's just one game, some of you need to realize that they're still leading the division by 7 games. While it's disappointing, losses like these happen sometimes.

Unless you're discounting the Indians, it's 5 games over CLE and 7 over the Royals and Tigers.

And it seems like every pundit/prognosticator/analyst is arguing the Indians are the REAL threat to the White Sox.

In the end, we're going to play all three of those teams a TON in the next 6 weeks, so the best team will be apparent then.

As far as everyone saying relax, don't panic, don't worry...sure, that's fine...we heard that same thing in 2012 and 2010 and 2008 and 2006 and 2004 and 2003. Just once did we hold the lead, in 2008 over the Twins, and that was by the very thinnest of margins possible.

Nobody's saying the sky is falling...we saw a sense of urgency with Danks to move on, hopefully we see the same attitude from the front office regarding Sands and Carroll.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:07 AM)
Unless you're discounting the Indians, it's 5 games over CLE and 7 over the Royals and Tigers.

And it seems like every pundit/prognosticator/analyst is arguing the Indians are the REAL threat to the White Sox.

In the end, we're going to play all three of those teams a TON in the next 6 weeks, so the best team will be apparent then.

As far as everyone saying relax, don't panic, don't worry...sure, that's fine...we heard that same thing in 2012 and 2010 and 2008 and 2006 and 2004 and 2003. Just once did we hold the lead, in 2008 over the Twins, and that was by the very thinnest of margins possible.

Nobody's saying the sky is falling...we saw a sense of urgency with Danks to move on, hopefully we see the same attitude from the front office regarding Sands and Carroll.

I meant 5 games, sorry. It's early and I just woke up haha.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:07 AM)

Actually several people are saying the sky is falling

They just played 26 games in 27 days. If the last guy in the pen cannot hold a lead in a situation he was brought in for so be it. We've had be best most reliable pen in the AL this season and the goal last night was to use exactly one guy when they got the lead.

Edited by RockRaines