This Era

Texsox

Slow day conversation. Quite possibly by the end of this decade Sox fans in their 30s or older can say they watched in person the greatest Sox pitcher and hitter of all time. Anyone doing anything special knowing that in thirty or forty years your grand-kids may be asking did you really see Sale pitch? Hell to expand it, Chicago fans, we've grown up with some of the greatest all time players on all of the major Chicago sports teams.

As a "new" Sox fan (I moved to the area in 1999 and quickly became a fan), I'm not as familiar with some of the stars of the past. I even wasn't a fan yet when Frank Thomas was in his prime. For me, it's guys like Crede, Konerko, and Buehrle that are the "greats" from the (near) past.

But it is amazing what Chris Sale is doing. And he makes it look easy, this year for sure. If he doesn't have some sort of debilitating injury or somehow fall off dramatically, he'll be a guy who will be talked about 20 years from now as one of the greatest. Watching him pitch is a joy. We'll be able to tell our grand-kids about the time he struck out Mark Trumbo on a pitch that hit him on the knee and about how many left-handed hitters he made corkscrew themselves into the ground.

Some of the other guys that have a chance to be those that we talk about include Abreu, Eaton, and Frazier. If Abreu can get back to where he was the past two years and stay there, he'll be one of the best hitters the Sox have had. Eaton with his glove, ability to get on base, and energy will be remembered fondly. Frazier, if he ends up staying with the Sox beyond next season, could be remembered like we remember Crede.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
Slow day conversation. Quite possibly by the end of this decade Sox fans in their 30s or older can say they watched in person the greatest Sox pitcher and hitter of all time. Anyone doing anything special knowing that in thirty or forty years your grand-kids may be asking did you really see Sale pitch? Hell to expand it, Chicago fans, we've grown up with some of the greatest all time players on all of the major Chicago sports teams.

Chicago sports fans in their forties have had the most good fortune of any fanbase (outside of maybe Boston)

Chicago (mid fourties):

Bears 1985

Bulls 1990-1998 (6)

White Sox 2005

Blackhawks 2010 - 2015 (3)

Back on topic. Not only are you right about Frank and Sale among the best athletes in White Sox history, it's also interesting that each has had some misfortune when it comes to postseason appearances.

Thomas made the postseason in 1993 and 2000 (also 2005 but wasn't available to play) and Sale has yet to play in the postseason.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 20, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
Back on topic. Not only are you right about Frank and Sale among the best athletes in White Sox history, it's also interesting that each has had some misfortune when it comes to postseason appearances.

Thomas made the postseason in 1993 and 2000 (also 2005 but wasn't available to play) and Sale has yet to play in the postseason.

I would have given anything to see Frank in the postseason in 1994. He was an absolute wrecking ball that season

I didn't start paying attention until 1995, but I'm grateful to have logged many Frank Thomas at bats on WGN (I lived in Columbus, OH). Also consider myself very lucky to have witnessed a Frank Thomas homerun live at the Jake at my first MLB game in Cleveland.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ May 20, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
He already is.

Ted Lyons spent 21 seasons with the team and is a HoFer. Ed Walsh had the first championship for the team, designed Comiskey and had some of the most dominant seasons ever.

Sale's in striking distance though.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 20, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Ted Lyons spent 21 seasons with the team and is a HoFer. Ed Walsh had the first championship for the team, designed Comiskey and had some of the most dominant seasons ever.

Pitching across eras is really hard. Harder than batting even, but it's really hard to argue with longevity with one team. If Sale has real post-season success, it's a no brainer. If Sale signs here past his current contract, it's a no-brainer when he reaches the late point in his career.

However, if the organization fails to make the postseason during Sale's tenure and he signs elsewhere (the latter of which seems fairly likely), he'll trail the likes of Buehrle and Lyons. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's the most talented pitcher we have ever had.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 20, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
When I was growing up watching Frank Thomas I didn't actually even realize he was as good as he was. I just kind of figured every other team had a guy like that.

That's kind of what I was thinking when I started the thread. If I could go back to Thomas's rookie season what would I do differently? With Frank I remember vividly how bars would become quite when he came to back. Everything stopped and watched. It could be the bottom of the 5th with no one on base and you stopped to watch.

Sale is different. I guess I'm thinking I want to really pay attention to what he is doing. I want to really remember each start.

Watching Chris Sale reminds me so much of the time that Jack McDowell was here. The firey intensity. The tall, long and skinny frame. The quick move to the majors, and the high peak. Hopefully Chris keeps his health, especially with this move to pitching with a little more fine brush, and a little less spray paint.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 20, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
Chicago sports fans in their forties have had the most good fortune of any fanbase (outside of maybe Boston)

Chicago (mid fourties):

Bears 1985

Bulls 1990-1998 (6)

White Sox 2005

Blackhawks 2010 - 2015 (3)

I remember the 85 bears and i will be 38 this year.

Edited by whitesoxjr27

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 20, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
Pitching across eras is really hard. Harder than batting even, but it's really hard to argue with longevity with one team. If Sale has real post-season success, it's a no brainer. If Sale signs here past his current contract, it's a no-brainer when he reaches the late point in his career.

However, if the organization fails to make the postseason during Sale's tenure and he signs elsewhere (the latter of which seems fairly likely), he'll trail the likes of Buehrle and Lyons. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's the most talented pitcher we have ever had.

Easily the most talented, yes.

I just dislike when people forget the past.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 20, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Not sure he's passed Tom Seaver or Steve Carlton yet.

Not what he said, but pretty sure that's what he meant, based on the context of discussion.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 20, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)

I would say greatness would be measured by dominance also. Sale in two of the past 3 years has been as dominant as Walsh has ever been. I'll put him up there along with Ed Walsh and Eddie Cicotte as the most dominant pitcher in Sox history. Obviously longevity matters (that's what she said!), so I'll put Sale just outside of top 5 right now as the greatest Sox pitcher in history, even though his career ERA- and FIP- suggest he's been the best.