Ed Farmer on Thursday

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

He was talking about Jon Garland's performance.

During Wednesday's game, when Minny got the guy to 3rd, the next batter (may have been Rivas, not sure) Farmer was saying only likes balls away. Garland got ahead of him on inside stuff, then threw a ball away and it resulted in the infield hit. At the time Farmer said I don't get it, I don't understand the pitch selection, etc.

So during last night's broadcast, Farmer said he sat down prior to Thursday's game with Cooper and Garland, and Farmer asked him what he was thinking out there. Farmer said Garland said, Well the catcher-, and Farmer said no, no, you have the ball you have to take charge, don't say the catcher didn't call the right pitch. Catchers are dumb or they wouldn't be catching. Farmer continued you never established anything, not your curve, not your fastball.

He concluded by saying I'm sure Garland didn't enjoy our conversation, but he'll learn from it.

Funny...I didn't hear that conversation, nor did I hear Farmer's calls at Minnie. But my wife to me last night that she thought Garland was continuing to improve, but that she hoped he learned from this last outing...she thought he threw good stuff, but the wrong pitches at the wrong time.

Forkit!

Farmer loves Garland. Thinks he is eventually going to be a stud.

I heard that anecdote on the radio. Basically Farmer and Cooper wanted Garland to trust his fastball more and establish it inside. They were very unhappy that he got beat on the changeup by Michael Ryan.

I'd love to see Farmer be given authority of some kind. He has great insights and wants to win.

I heard that anecdote on the radio. Basically Farmer and Cooper wanted Garland to trust his fastball more and establish it inside. They were very unhappy that he got beat on the changeup by Michael Ryan.

I'd love to see Farmer be given authority of some kind. He has great insights and wants to win.

Agreed 100%, but I wouldn't want to see him replace Coop.

How about putting him in there for DJ on TV?

Then if we could get Hawk out of there, we could have the real Sox announcers on TV.

Guest hotsoxchick1

Then if we could get Hawk out of there, we could have the real Sox announcers on TV.

no dont put him in for dj... i cant fathom hearing about his freakin golf game for 9 innings........its bad enough to have to hear it on the radio, i couldnt stand watching him talk about it too............ ;)

no dont put him in for dj... i cant fathom hearing about his freakin golf game for 9 innings........its bad enough to have to hear it on the radio, i couldnt stand watching him talk about it too............ ;)

DJ is a terrible announcer.

I'd rather hear about Farmer golfing than DJ's stupid explanations of what the Sox are doing in the game.

He adds nothing more than the obvious to the broadcast.

Guest hotsoxchick1

I'd rather hear about Farmer golfing than DJ's stupid explanations of what the Sox are doing in the game.

ohhh if hawk would shut the f*** up once in a while dj could actually get a good word in edge wise..... dj and rooney did a great job in oakland ..(what was it last season or this one when hawk was gone i dont recall) i think they gelled pretty damn good and would make an excellent broadcast team..........put hawk on radio with farmer and they could talk golf to eachother all game long....... ;)

ohhh if hawk would shut the f*** up once in a while dj could actually get a good word in edge wise..... dj and rooney did a great job in oakland ..(what was it last season or this one when hawk was gone i dont recall) i think they gelled pretty damn good and would make an excellent broadcast team..........put hawk on radio with farmer and they could talk golf to eachother all game long....... ;)

That'll work.

Hawk on the radio? When things are going bad he shuts up. Hawk's colorful, but radio needs a description of what's happening. Not really his strength.

Of course, talking about who is the best Sox announcer is more fun than talking about the team.

Guest hotsoxchick1

Hawk on the radio? When things are going bad he shuts up. Hawk's colorful, but radio needs a description of what's happening. Not really his strength.

Of course, talking about who is the best Sox announcer is more fun than talking about the team.

its a sad day when were reduced to talking about announcers because they are more colorful than the team they call......have we been reduced to such a thing already????? yikes....... :ph34r:

I don't know. I think Hawk adds some pretty good things to the game cast. Sure he's a bit of a homer, but how the hell can't you be after putting up with so many futile teams over the years. Although during the last 13 years we've never really been horrible, persay. Always mediocre.

I think back in the early '80s or late '70s they would have the broadcast teams switch in portions of the game. Harry Caray and Piersoll would do half the game on TV and then do the other half on the radio. Don't know who the other team was at all. I think this was way back when the Sox were on Channel 44. Does anyone else remember something like this or am I hallucinating?

I think back in the early '80s or late '70s they would have the broadcast teams switch in portions of the game. Harry Caray and Piersoll would do half the game on TV and then do the other half on the radio. Don't know who the other team was at all. I think this was way back when the Sox were on Channel 44. Does anyone else remember something like this or am I hallucinating?

Harry did that pretty much til his death if memory serves me.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Harry did that pretty much til his death if memory serves me.

thats how i recall it.. ahh the good ol days of wfld tv... wheres svengoolie now???? lol........