DC Films

Boopa1219

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
JS, how can you sit here and talk about creative freedom and filmmaker friendliness within the DCEU when there have been two movies made, directed by the same guy, who just so happens to be part of the creative brain trust? And they have already had multiple filmmakers leave their films.

It doesn't make sense

Look at WB's non superhero films. They let directors come in with their vision and do whatever they want, with no interference and complete creative control. Look at the original films of Nolan, Affleck, Del Toro, Guy Ritchie, and Todd Phillips for example. Plus, WB is the only studio shelling out major cash for original films and giving their filmmakers final cut.

You can't say that about Disney. JJ Abrams (who get's do whatever he wants at Paramount) said that the studio execs were involved at every step of the way on The Force Awakens.

Look at Marvel. Joss Whedon walked away because he was tired of fighting with the studio on everything on AoU. Ava DuVernay, was in deep talks with Marvel for months about directing Black Panther and she pulled out because she didn't want to deal with the studio. Patty Jenkins was hired to direct Thor 2 and pulled out a couple months later. And there's Edgar Wright.

DC has only had one filmmaker leave, Seth Grahame Smith didn't leave the Flash, he just isn't directing it (Fingers crossed for Guy Ritchie or Edgar Wright).

I don't think that Zack Snyder directing the first 2 films in the DCEU means that it isn't filmmaker friendly. Remember John Favreau directed two of the first three films in the MCU and he was pretty involved, at least in name, in some of the other Phase 1 films.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 5, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Look at WB's non superhero films. They let directors come in with their vision and do whatever they want, with no interference and complete creative control. Look at the original films of Nolan, Affleck, Del Toro, Guy Ritchie, and Todd Phillips for example. Plus, WB is the only studio shelling out major cash for original films and giving their filmmakers final cut.

You can't say that about Disney. JJ Abrams (who get's do whatever he wants at Paramount) said that the studio execs were involved at every step of the way on The Force Awakens.

Look at Marvel. Joss Whedon walked away because he was tired of fighting with the studio on everything on AoU. Ava DuVernay, was in deep talks with Marvel for months about directing Black Panther and she pulled out because she didn't want to deal with the studio. Patty Jenkins was hired to direct Thor 2 and pulled out a couple months later. And there's Edgar Wright.

DC has only had one filmmaker leave, Seth Grahame Smith didn't leave the Flash, he just isn't directing it (Fingers crossed for Guy Ritchie or Edgar Wright).

I don't think that Zack Snyder directing the first 2 films in the DCEU means that it isn't filmmaker friendly. Remember John Favreau directed two of the first three films in the MCU and he was pretty involved, at least in name, in some of the other Phase 1 films.

We arent talking about all WB movies, we are talking about DC movies. As much as you keep trying to deny, Snyder mapped this thing out, he is in charge. He hand picked all of the characters, he is producing all of them, he is directing the tentpoles. And now, the s*** is hitting the fan. Wan has to come out and tell everyone his movie isnt gonna be so serious, Suicide Squad just went into panic reshoots to make sure the movie doesnt have the same moody tone of a Snyder movie. SGS left Flash, and while you are acting like this isnt a big deal, it is a big deal.

Marvel can weather directors leaving their francises and replacing them, they have built up a tremendous amount of good will because their films by and large have been good, some of them great. DC doesnt have that good will. They have a director who immediately tore up the fabric of what made Superman a special character, and then had to "fix" the s*** storm that he caused with Batman vs Superman. Except he didnt fix anything, he doubled down on it. He ruined Supermans biggest foil in Lex Luthor by making him a whiny little spoiled s***. One of the most feared criminals in Supermans rogues gallery reduced to a sniveling brat with daddy issues. He also threw away one of Supermans greatest adversaries ever and half assed the Supermans Death storyline for literally no reason at all. The guy took two excellent plots in BvS and The Death of Superman, mixed in bit of The Dark Knight Returns and threw them together. WHY?!?! That is 3 compelling separate stories!!! Why mash them together and waste all three at once?!

Look man, I know you are hooked into WB somehow, trying to get in to the business. You try and look at the good in movies and pump up the art you see in them, but DC has gotten out on a terrible foot. Joss Whedon left for a multitude of reasons, he was burnt out, he had problems dealing with Marvel because they had a grand plan and were trying to shoehorn that in. This isnt a secret. But that doesnt mean that these movies havent been good. We threw a bunch of different movie genres at you within the last phase, not even the entire marvel catalog, and you are ignoring it acting like they are all the same.

Being nice, im gonna say that DC needs a fresh perspective and someone to take a Kevin Feige overview look on this and pull things together going forward.

Being blunt, im gonna say that Zack Snyder is a trash director and they need to ditch him as soon as yesterday.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 5, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
We arent talking about all WB movies, we are talking about DC movies. As much as you keep trying to deny, Snyder mapped this thing out, he is in charge. He hand picked all of the characters, he is producing all of them, he is directing the tentpoles. And now, the s*** is hitting the fan. Wan has to come out and tell everyone his movie isnt gonna be so serious, Suicide Squad just went into panic reshoots to make sure the movie doesnt have the same moody tone of a Snyder movie. SGS left Flash, and while you are acting like this isnt a big deal, it is a big deal.

Marvel can weather directors leaving their francises and replacing them, they have built up a tremendous amount of good will because their films by and large have been good, some of them great. DC doesnt have that good will. They have a director who immediately tore up the fabric of what made Superman a special character, and then had to "fix" the s*** storm that he caused with Batman vs Superman. Except he didnt fix anything, he doubled down on it. He ruined Supermans biggest foil in Lex Luthor by making him a whiny little spoiled s***. One of the most feared criminals in Supermans rogues gallery reduced to a sniveling brat with daddy issues. He also threw away one of Supermans greatest adversaries ever and half assed the Supermans Death storyline for literally no reason at all. The guy took two excellent plots in BvS and The Death of Superman, mixed in bit of The Dark Knight Returns and threw them together. WHY?!?! That is 3 compelling separate stories!!! Why mash them together and waste all three at once?!

Look man, I know you are hooked into WB somehow, trying to get in to the business. You try and look at the good in movies and pump up the art you see in them, but DC has gotten out on a terrible foot. Joss Whedon left for a multitude of reasons, he was burnt out, he had problems dealing with Marvel because they had a grand plan and were trying to shoehorn that in. This isnt a secret. But that doesnt mean that these movies havent been good. We threw a bunch of different movie genres at you within the last phase, not even the entire marvel catalog, and you are ignoring it acting like they are all the same.

Being nice, im gonna say that DC needs a fresh perspective and someone to take a Kevin Feige overview look on this and pull things together going forward.

Being blunt, im gonna say that Zack Snyder is a trash director and they need to ditch him as soon as yesterday.

Not happening.

Regardless of what people want, or say, or the bulls*** they make up to pretend the movie failed, the movie made almost 900 million and counting. And ignoring that ridiculous made up number from Forbes as to what the movie would need to profit, the studio is ecstatic. The movie will easily go on to gross over a billion with merch and rentals/sales and in the end, record massive profits.

And that's all studios care about. They don't care about Tomato ratings. They don't care what fanboys think. If they did, they wouldn't keep making Transformers moves that people keep seeing.

Snyder is staying.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 5, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
Not happening.

Regardless of what people want, or say, or the bulls*** they make up to pretend the movie failed, the movie made almost 900 million and counting. And ignoring that ridiculous made up number from Forbes as to what the movie would need to profit, the studio is ecstatic. The movie will easily go on to gross over a billion with merch and rentals/sales and in the end, record massive profits.

And that's all studios care about. They don't care about Tomato ratings. They don't care what fanboys think. If they did, they wouldn't keep making Transformers moves that people keep seeing.

Snyder is staying.

If Disney considered Age of Ultron disappointing, then Warner Brothers definitely considers Batman v. Superman disappointing.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 5, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
If Disney considered Age of Ultron disappointing, then Warner Brothers definitely considers Batman v. Superman disappointing.

But they don't.

Studios are never unhappy with a couple hundred million in profit, all things considered. Could it have made more? Sure. But it also could have made less and lost them money.

Again, they crank out Transformers movies which critics hate, but people see them...so long as they're making profits they're not going to care. Sure, when I sell a stock I'd prefer to sell it at 100 instead of 75, but if I bought it at 40...I'm not really going to cry.

If they wanted Snyder gone, he'd likely be gone by now...instead he's already filming The Justice League.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 5, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
But they don't.

Studios are never unhappy with a couple hundred million in profit, all things considered. Could it have made more? Sure. But it also could have made less and lost them money.

Again, they crank out Transformers movies which critics hate, but people see them...so long as they're making profits they're not going to care. Sure, when I sell a stock I'd prefer to sell it at 100 instead of 75, but if I bought it at 40...I'm not really going to cry.

Disappointed, not unhappy.

When you're expecting excess of one billion, it's a bit of a let down.

But they don't.

If they wanted Snyder gone, he'd likely be gone by now...instead he's already filming The Justice League.

Sure they are, that's why Spiderman is in the MCU now. I know Snyder isn't going anywhere now, but if he makes another piece of crap, he is done.

Bottom line, this franchise should be making more. A lot more. And WB knows that

But they don't.

I'm honestly not sure this could have made much less unless the movie was a Fantastic Four level disaster. The movie opened up big based on the brand and WB doing a good job marketing it but it had horrible legs in basically every market so clearly the general audience didn't care for this at all. It might not even double its opening weekend in terms of box office domestically which is unbelievably bad.

Disney/Marvel would be incredibly unhappy if Civil War had Batman v Superman results.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 5, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)
I'm honestly not sure this could have made much less unless the movie was a Fantastic Four level disaster. The movie opened up big based on the brand and WB doing a good job marketing it but it had horrible legs in basically every market so clearly the general audience didn't care for this at all. It might not even double its opening weekend in terms of box office domestically which is unbelievably bad.

Disney/Marvel would be incredibly unhappy if Civil War had Batman v Superman results.

I personally think a lot of these movies better start getting used to it, the casuals are getting burnt out on the endless supply of superhero movies now. And I think that's going to get worse. I also can't blame them, it's getting to be a bit much at this point.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:21 PM)
I personally think a lot of these movies better start getting used to it, the casuals are getting burnt out on the endless supply of superhero movies now. And I think that's going to get worse. I also can't blame them, it's getting to be a bit much at this point.

Well, Civil War is going to be the true test of this.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 5, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Sure they are, that's why Spiderman is in the MCU now. I know Snyder isn't going anywhere now, but if he makes another piece of crap, he is done.

Every time he makes a piece of crap, we say this. The guy's a clown, but he must be one hellofa smooth talker.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 9, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
So despite making fun of antman (the concept)...I watched the movie and was pleasantly surprised. Good popcorn flick.

That's a Marvel movie. The movie is aware that it has a stupid title though and makes fun of itself.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 9, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Oh, Jason.

This isn't a comic catch-all :)

Yes it is. Talk of DC and Marvel in here so I'll just put it in here. I don't care whether it is DC or Marvel, just rather it is good or bad. ;)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 9, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Yes it is. Talk of DC and Marvel in here so I'll just put it in here. I don't care whether it is DC or Marvel, just rather it is good or bad. ;)

But we have a separate thread.

#FightTheSystem