Brexit

bmags

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)

One thing the English-speaking world is going to have to face up to this year is that we've stepped backwards 25+ years in terms of making it suddenly ok to yell obviously racist things on the street to whomever you want to hate. =Stealing quote

"If you dream of a world free of political correctness and want to see what that really looks like, check out #PostRefRacism," Bee said. "Not now. I don't want you crying through my show. That is really the worst outcome of Brexit — not the breakup of the E.U. or the fact that you can now use the British pound as loo paper. It's that the vote made these hateful morons think that over half the country agreed with them. This is why it's not enough for Trump to lose. It has to be a [expletive] landslide, 50-state repudiation of this."

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
One thing the English-speaking world is going to have to face up to this year is that we've stepped backwards 25+ years in terms of making it suddenly ok to yell obviously racist things on the street to whomever you want to hate. =Stealing quote

My eyes can't roll far enough.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
My eyes can't roll far enough.

You might not be aware of this, but a guy who launched his campaign by calling Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists, retweeted neo-nazi 'statistics' about black people, and wants to ban an entire religion from coming to this country is actually the presidential nominee for a major political party. White nationalist groups have been vocal about feeling like his campaign allows them to be more open and public about their ideology. A neo-nazi shot and stabbed one of the "remain" British MP's to death a few days before the election while shouting "Britain First!"

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
You might not be aware of this, but a guy who launched his campaign by calling Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists, retweeted neo-nazi 'statistics' about black people, and wants to ban an entire religion from coming to this country is actually the presidential nominee for a major political party. White nationalist groups have been vocal about feeling like his campaign allows them to be more open and public about their ideology. A neo-nazi shot and stabbed one of the "remain" British MP's to death a few days before the election while shouting "Britain First!"

There was a 57% spike in reported hate crimes across the UK after the vote, and that's just the reported ones not the 18 year olds on trains yelling "Go back to Africa".

But then, if you roll your eyes hard enough, you either won't see that or you can convince yourself it's a good thing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
You might not be aware of this, but a guy who launched his campaign by calling Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists, retweeted neo-nazi 'statistics' about black people, and wants to ban an entire religion from coming to this country is actually the presidential nominee for a major political party.

In the same world in which ISIS, one of the worst terrorist organizations in the world, literally had to put out a press release telling its members to attack white people and not minorities because they don't want people claiming that they committed hate crimes. A f***ing terrorist organization is concerned with our PC culture.

We may have some more videotaped/recorded instances of terrible people doing terrible things, but that doesn't mean that as a society, as a culture, as a world, we're worse off than 25 years ago.

I don't think Trump's rise to popularity changes any of that. Nor does Brexit. Hell, the polls showed that "racist" considerations (which aren't even racist, God forbid citizens have an opinion on who can enter their own borders) were not even a factor for the vast, vast majority of people voting to Leave. That's the narrative that the media wanted to sell and that's the same narrative these "OMG EVERYONE'S RACIST NOW" are promoting.

Also, I love how you guys always get to take the "uptick" in s***ty things that people do as evidence of how s***ty people are generally. Yet when the other side tries to do it, with say, Muslims killing non-Muslims because of their religious beliefs, you yell at people for unfairly stereotyping them. Can you just be consistent? Please?

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

And that's literally exactly what I mean about how it's going to be hard work to deal with what we've unleashed, because either people will think it's ok and will cheer them on as "not being politically correct", or they'll deny it is a problem.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
And that's literally exactly what I mean about how it's going to be hard work to deal with what we've unleashed, because either people will think it's ok and will cheer them on as "not being politically correct", or they'll deny it is a problem.

No, a small, small racist minority WHO WERE ALREADY RACIST will think it's now ok, and the same small, small racist minority will deny it's a problem. Everyone else understands reality.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
There was a 57% spike in reported hate crimes across the UK after the vote, and that's just the reported ones not the 18 year olds on trains yelling "Go back to Africa".

But then, if you roll your eyes hard enough, you either won't see that or you can convince yourself it's a good thing.

Having spent a fair amount of time at athletic events in europe, I think much of it is based on nationality not race. Many of them think it's just "other" people taking jobs and being a drain financially on the country especially one with the NHS.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
Having spent a fair amount of time at athletic events in europe, I think much of it is based on nationality not race. Many of them think it's just "other" people taking jobs and being a drain financially on the country especially one with the NHS.

Like I pointed out earlier, a lot of the anti-immigrant resentment in Britain is directed as Polish immigrants. I don't know if Britons have a different racial view of Polish people, though.

edit: there's definitely plenty of over-the-top racism in Europe, though. e.g. black athletes getting pelted with bananas.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Like I pointed out earlier, a lot of the anti-immigrant resentment in Britain is directed as Polish immigrants. I don't know if Britons have a different racial view of Polish people, though.

edit: there's definitely plenty of over-the-top racism in Europe, though. e.g. black athletes getting pelted with bananas.

Yes, racism does exist everywhere. However, over there I ran into much more "we hate you because you are from another country."

One example is: I was walking to dinner with some friends in Germany. All of a sudden they pulled me to the side and told me we had to wait to go down the street. I didn't know why until I saw a group of workers going into a factory for a night shift and another group leaving the factory. They were on opposite sides of the street and all of a sudden ran at each other into a big fight. It lasted about 5 minutes and then they each went on their way. My comment was "What the f@&k was that. The reply was that the group leaving were Turks and the German workers do not get along with them because the take jobs from the Germans.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
It's a common European stereotype that most countries in the EU consider Greece lazy.

While this story/poll is a few years old, it highlights this feeling among the EU:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archiv...-the-eu/257764/

I didn't think you made it up, I think that stereotype is specifically driving a lot of German policy. But while structural reform was necessary in greece, it won't achieve nearly as much without being able to boost exports easily the way they could with currency.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Yes, racism does exist everywhere. However, over there I ran into much more "we hate you because you are from another country."

One example is: I was walking to dinner with some friends in Germany. All of a sudden they pulled me to the side and told me we had to wait to go down the street. I didn't know why until I saw a group of workers going into a factory for a night shift and another group leaving the factory. They were on opposite sides of the street and all of a sudden ran at each other into a big fight. It lasted about 5 minutes and then they each went on their way. My comment was "What the f@&k was that. The reply was that the group leaving were Turks and the German workers do not get along with them because the take jobs from the Germans.

That sounds nearly identical to anti-Mexican feelings in this country, which definitely carry a racial component.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
Brexit: UK cannot have 'single market a la carte', say EU leaders

'Leaders made it crystal clear that access to the single market requires acceptance of all four freedoms - including freedom of movement'

Shockingly, almost every argument put forth by the "leave" side has turned out to be a lie.

Kinda like Obamacare...

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
Kinda like Obamacare...

Topical, from yesterday: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kateashford/20...s/#2866f6702dbe

The average patient with private health insurance paid more than $1,000 in out-of-pocket costs for an inpatient hospitalization in 2013, according to research from the University of Michigan. That’s a rise of 37% since 2009—from $738 to $1,013. Most of this increase was due to a jump in the amount applied to deductibles, which rose 86% from 2009 to 2013, and secondly by increases in coinsurance, which went up by 33% in the same period.

Support Obamacare they said, things would be better they said.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
That sounds nearly identical to anti-Mexican feelings in this country, which definitely carry a racial component.

True I'm sure there is some racism in any bias however over there its not just a group, its anyone who isn't German. Didn't matter the color of the German's skin, it was the fact that another national was taking their opportunities. It just had a very different feel from the racism here which is directed as much inward as it is outward.

Do you consider the hate against Muslims racism?

Edited by ptatc