Tim Anderson

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
Gee, that was at the end of the 2014 season.

SOMETHING DIFFERENT HAPPENED IN 2015....gee, I guess we shouldn't adjust our thinking in any way, shape or form as a result of new evidence, which should LOGICALLY be weighted more heavily than previous seasons.

Once they are gone, there is nothing you can do about it. You basically "gave up" on the entire Sox system except for Montas, Anderson, and Hawkins.

QUIT WHINING ABOUT A TRADE YOU SAID THE TEAM HAD TO MAKE.

You yourself said you didn't think Semien could handle SS defensively.

Still would be hesitant to throw Semien out there for 145+ games at SS and expect him to have less than 35-40 errors.

I'd be okay with anyone else going, including Semien, M.Johnson or Danish.

To borrow one of your lines, cue the I'd said I'd be OK because I know the White Sox would do it, but I knew all along it was dumb and not OK.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
Replacement? Semien was part of the group of no clear/sure-fire/ready-to-go replacements. He was the same group as Micah and Sanchez and all three of them couldn't play second.

And at the time Semien was probably considered behind Micah and Sanchez.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
They could have had 15-20 middle infielders under 6 years of control and it wouldn't matter one iota if none of them were major league regulars. 90-120 years of control!!! Amazing.

It also doesn't explain trading Thompson when they had zero depth behind him. If all of those infielders were such quality depth, they wouldn't have had Gillaspie/Beckham there ahead of them....and then traded for Todd Frazier the following off season.

Wait, so are you suggesting that the Sox should not make trades unless they have multiple Major League-average or better players on the roster to replace what they move?

Also, why are you acting like Semien had already broken out? He wasn't any more of a "sure thing" than any of the others.

Everything looks crystal clear in hindsight, caulfield. But you literally NEVER get to use hindsight when you make decisions. You have to judge moves based on their chances of working out at the time they are made.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
I'm sorry man, but this post is way off. The Giants gave Brandon Crawford three years to develop? Oh, well the White Sox gave Gordon Beckham FIVE YEARS. For every Marcus Semien or Micah Johnson, there is an Avisail Garcia, Tyler Flowers, or Dayan Viciedo.

And now there are Marcus Semien and Trayce Thompson. (and soon to be, imo, Tyler Saladino). Ability to evaluate talent, including your own, and willingness to develop it is part of it.

There's a balance to be drawn.

And trading excess for one or two year players, considering the state of this org., is madness.

And Flowers played a defense-first position; he handled the position defensively. I get it that everyone was sick of him; i was sick of him. But the veteran replacements have "proven" to be a downgrade.

It will be interesting to see if the Sox try to extend Frazier. He'll have to stop his Chris Carter impression to make that worthwhile; and in the last couple of weeks he seemed to be making progress in that regard.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
They could have had 15-20 middle infielders under 6 years of control and it wouldn't matter one iota if none of them were major league regulars. 90-120 years of control!!! Amazing.

It also doesn't explain trading Thompson when they had zero depth behind him. If all of those infielders were such quality depth, they wouldn't have had Gillaspie/Beckham there ahead of them....and then traded for Todd Frazier the following off season.

Todd Frazier explains that.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
And now there are Marcus Semien and Trayce Thompson. (and soon to be, imo, Tyler Saladino). Ability to evaluate talent, including your own, and willingness to develop it is part of it.

There's a balance to be drawn.

And trading excess for one or two year players, considering the state of this org., is madness.

And Flowers played a defense-first position; he handled the position defensively. I get it that everyone was sick of him; i was sick of him. But the veteran replacements have "proven" to be a downgrade.

It will be interesting to see if the Sox try to extend Frazier. He'll have to stop his Chris Carter impression to make that worthwhile; and in the last couple of weeks he seemed to be making progress in that regard.

You have noticed that Thompson is hitting like .200 over the last 2 months and pretty much all of his numbers have fallen off the table, right? Let's see him over the course of a full season before we decide he is a terrible player to trade

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
But what they did was trade "unproven prospects" for ONE YEAR of a major league pitcher; and this was a 73 win team that no matter how many "proven veterans" were stacked onto the team was unlikely to contend.

That's the kind of move that 82-86 win teams make to get over the top. Not 73 win teams that need to build a core.

Under this approach, Hahn, were he the GM of the Giants, would have traded away 1/2 of his all-star infield. Brandon Crawford didn't hit a lick his first THREE years with the Giants.

And Caufield is right...the Sox really don't give non-highly touted prospects much of a chance. Micah was done after 3 weeks; couldn't wait to move Tracye and Semien. Saladino and Sanchez got what have to be considered lengthy auditions for this organization (but not for others) and were jettisoned back to utility or AAA roles. Cooper has jettisoned pitchers who can pitch (but who struggled in their 3 appearance auditions). This is not the way to build an organization. Yes, the Sox had some middle infield excess (still do really). So why not use it to get, say, a young OF? That's how we got Eaton...some young starting pitching for a YOUNG outfielder.

The Giants are a good team to emulate. Constantly improving their organization. Never have the touted systems, but accurately evaluate their own players and are willing to develop them. The Whitesox have a long way to go re talent evaluation and development and organization building.

I still make that trade. By all accounts if he had pitched well, they would have had an extension. Either way I still make the deal for proven pitching everytime, especially when they think they have a good shot at an extension.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
Or they undervalued Semien and overestimated how easy the transition to the AL Central would be for a two-pitch NL pitcher.

Cueto learned the hard way. He almost had a 5 ERA, now he's likely to win the Cy Young the next year. Think he got reminded again last night why he's better off in the NL West than the American League.

Samardzija did pretty well in his few months in Oakland. Better than his SF numbers. And you would have traded any Sox minor leaguer not named Anderson, Montas or Hawkins for him, so you had no idea he would struggle either.